Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are our chances for 2024?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think our chances are of winning the 2024 premiership?
Very good – we're in the box seat and will be hard to stop
28%
 28%  [ 30 ]
Pretty good – we should finish top 4 and still be in contention on preliminary final weekend, but hard to know from there
46%
 46%  [ 49 ]
Unsure – new season, everyone starts from scratch, and we're just one of many teams that can win it
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
Not so good – expecting a premiership hangover and/or for other teams to pass us by
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 106

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

simon tonna wrote:
Odds have us as favourites

How many early favourites go on to win the flag? My guess is that it would be under 60%.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:04 pm

More often than not the reigning premiers are always favourites going into a new season.

Last year the betting markets had Geelong going back to back before the season started.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:06 am

Yep – and based on that principle, you're looking at more like 20%. Only five reigning premiers have gone back-to-back in the past twenty-five years (Brisbane 2002 and 2003, Hawthorn 2014 and 2015, Richmond 2020).
Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 pm

I wanted to watch our last match of the team we need to beat in round 1 (GWS). Came up with this new AFL page (in beta), which has in its menu - all rounds and finals for year 2023.

2023 Collingwood vs GWS match replay:
https://www.afl.com.au/ondemand/highlights/883317/2023-afl-match-replays?episode=1#preliminary-finals

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
DaisyD 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:09 pm

No team has enough cover on KP players, Collingwood included, top 4 is an even money bet, but this season more than any other will be determined by injury. Dees and Lions right in it, Dees have added some players that will improve their inside 50 efficiency, Lions have turned a mental corner and with the Gabba in their pocket a fair advantage. Dogs NQR, Carlton is just Essendon with a bit more luck, and their big men just seem a tad more injury prone. Media will pump the Blues up but nah. Not hot on the Swans, pack weight seems a bit light, bit worried that Grundy finds his range though, wish Melbourne could have sent him somewhere irrelevant. GWS is the smokey. But overall - with no big injuries, Pies Melb for the GF.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:10 pm

Jezza wrote:
More often than not the reigning premiers are always favourites going into a new season.

Last year the betting markets had Geelong going back to back before the season started.

Yep. And top 4, top 8 odds too.

It's not that they think that'll happen... But what else could they do?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:12 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
Can anybody tell me why Howe crossed from Melbourne to join us?
A serious loss to Melbourne over the years...

Yep, as Rex wrote.

Coach promised him he'd play forward.
Coach then apologised. "We need you back."
Rest is history...

We lucked out. Cool
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:57 am

From other oppoostion fans who i know and some of my friends and even experts in the media do not rate colliingwood in 2024.
They say 3 things on why we will slide in 2024:

1. aging stars or in the way they put it hacks such as Pendles Howe Side Cox and co they are done they say and nothing to give
2. no real young talent coming through at all and will take a few more years if there even i
3. its collingwood and they only win a premiership like every 15 years on average

also theres way too much time between drinks for the Pies 1990 nothing until 2010 another barren drought until 2023.

im not sure but i know what they mean.

we win a flag then its all downhill from there for another 10 years.

just like to know if we can snap the same thing happened in 2011 and turn it around in 2024.

i felt right after 2011 GF that this will take forever to even make finals again

if we dont win in 2024 then methinks a rebuild again in 2025 and then at the same time prepareing of life after Craig McRae.

They also said enjoy it while we can becuase it wont last.

I just want a repeat of 2011 again.
Boot 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:17 pm

The latest news on Nathan Murphy is not good. Hopefully the resting of Murphy in the pre-season from exposure to competition is just getting him in the best state to play during the season, but clearly there is some on-going concern as to his fitness and well being.
Assuming his availability to play this season is now in jeopardy, the option of Frampton stepping up to play at full back is now more important and there aren't that many other options for key defensive talls on our list, especially now that Josh Eyre has gone down with a long term injury and McStay is out.
Perhaps Nathan Kreuger could be asked to play the defensive role we need some depth in?
What other defensive options apart from Frampton and Moore are available?

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:58 pm

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:
From other opposition fans who i know and some of my friends and even experts in the media do not rate collingwood in 2024.

They say 3 things on why we will slide in 2024

My guess the same numpties who wrote us off as a fluke, after 2022 season. These people never learn. Get new friends.

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:
also theres way too much time between drinks for the Pies 1990 nothing until 2010 another barren drought until 2023.

Well there were those GFs we were robbed of in 2002 and 2018 thanks to cheating maggot scumpires; that would have stuffed their average.

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:
we win a flag then its all downhill from there for another 10 years.

just like to know if we can snap the same thing happened in 2011 and turn it around in 2024.

i felt right after 2011 GF that this will take forever to even make finals again

if we dont win in 2024 then methinks a rebuild again in 2025 and then at the same time preparing of life after Craig McRae.

They also said enjoy it while we can because it wont last.

I just want a repeat of 2011 again.

You "just want a repeat of 2011"?! Or you don't want a repeat?!
Anyhoo, by 2012, too many teams had visible passed us for speed, talent and skill. Our players didn't improve in that time; perhaps they peaked in 2010/2011 window.

and "preparing for life after Craig McRae"? With any luck, he'll have a longer tenure than Shaw, MM and Buckley combined.

Don't think 2025 will be a rebuild as such, but... we need to get poaching some mids to immediately replace Adams, and later Sidey, Pendles, Mitchell and Crispy once they call time. Expecting the Daici to bear the load would be ludicrous.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:13 pm

I'm with you piedys. Reckon we'll see McCreery, Mattia, and hopefully Allan and Macrae become regular midfielders for us over the next couple of seasons. Alongside JDG and the Daicos boys, we should have plenty of depth of talent, physicality and grunt in the midfield.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:20 am

I would add Sullivan to that list as well if we decide to list him. Impressive.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm

Beautiful analysis of the Collingwood team
Don't miss it...

Collingwood Magpies 2024 Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAe2eptJeeY

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:44 am

I dont know if its just me, but while getting excited for the season to start, I cant help but think its gonna be a tough year. Feels like so many teams will step up this year - although I know that happens every pre-season.

Just have to remember its a marathon not a sprint. We were pretty dominant in the first 15-16 rounds last year, and then did enough to win the flag, but I dont think we were as dominant as, say, the Cats the year before.

There's been commentary that the guys are focussed, but there can be little doubt that everyone will be coming for us (if they were'nt in the last half of last year already). Hope we can start well and settle into a groove and not be a bit sluggish and have to chase or tail towards the end of the year.

If we can be top 4 come finals, I think we will be in with a shout, but for anyone who thinks we can dominate I'd encourage them to at least consider the possibility that this will be a pretty even year.

Think about last year - lost to the Hawks and could have easily dropped games against Adelaide and Essendon. None of those three played in the finals series. I'd like us to beat Melbourne and Brisbane comfortably at some stage through the season, and opening round points against the pretenders with the big, big sound would also be helpful.

I think we deserve to be in the top 3 or 4 favourites for the flag, but nobody is going to hand it out for free. Just gotta be at the right end of the ladder and have a healthy list come August.

So pumped for the season to start.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:25 pm

All years are tough years piffdog.

As for me I'm just taking it one Premiership at a time. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: