Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are our chances for 2024?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think our chances are of winning the 2024 premiership?
Very good – we're in the box seat and will be hard to stop
28%
 28%  [ 30 ]
Pretty good – we should finish top 4 and still be in contention on preliminary final weekend, but hard to know from there
46%
 46%  [ 49 ]
Unsure – new season, everyone starts from scratch, and we're just one of many teams that can win it
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
Not so good – expecting a premiership hangover and/or for other teams to pass us by
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 106

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually expect us to perform better next season. McStay showed in the Prelim how he can be a genuine power forward. I also expect Johnson to improve significantly, provided he works his butt off over the pre-season to get fitter.

As for our elders, I see no sign of deterioration in Sidey, Pendles, or Howe. As long as they remain emotionally engaged, they will remain great players in 2024.

Scarily, Nick Daicos will be even better (and stronger) next year.

I expect Finn Macrae and Ed Allan to improve our midfield depth.

Finally, if (hopefully) Alex Conden fails (as expected) in his bid to get drafted to the NBA, we will have a 21 yr old 213 cm player, who has played footy his whole life. He will come straight into our side as our full forward!!

Back to back to back!!!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:26 pm

Sound great to me, and yeah, I expect less heart stoppers , I’m thinking 15 point margins!
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
As for our elders, I see no sign of deterioration in Sidey, Pendles, or Howe. As long as they remain emotionally engaged, they will remain great players in 2024.

I think there are concerns over Howe's body.

And what 'bout the other seven 30+-year-olds?! Question
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:34 pm

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

I think there are concerns over Howe's body.

And what 'bout the other seven 30+-year-olds?! Question

Apart from players who have suffered serious injuries, as long as they are mentally fully engaged and committed to playing on, with modern rehab and sports fitness science, I see no reason why most players, if they are good enough, can't play until 34 yrs or so. Across the finals, our best players included Crisp, Sidey, Mitchell and Pendles. After recovering from an horrific arm injury, I also thought Howe played great finals footy.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:40 pm

Well, I hope everyone at the club has taken note of Geebung's fate.

So for me May's comments are welcome. Wonder whether we can pay other oppo players to make May-like comments throughout the summer!!
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:11 am

There's a significant gap between the 10 players aged 30 plus (9 now Adams is gone) and the rest of the group starting with McStay and Cameron who have just turned 28 in the last few months, with the real cream in Moore, De Goey and Maynard at 27 years old. We also have some great kids pushing up including the best kid in the land that you can build a dynasty around. So as dire as 9 players (some marquee, a couple generational) over 30 sounds there's a real chance to bring that 28 and under group through without any rebuild, it'll take some smart trading each year as the vets fall away but Schulz for Adams is a great start.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:59 am

Every year we improve so does the opposition. Sure we have some aging players but there are some kids coming through that we need to take note of.
Another full pre-season into Ginni, McCrae, Johnson, Ed Allen, Ryan, HH, and Beg Then there's the development of Steene who shows a lot of promise. Even Framptom can become the monster we want. Adams out Shultz in. Murphy is 50/50. I am pretty excited about the pre-season more than the draft. The draft is very shallow this year, if you are not in the top 9 after that it's like throwing darts at a dart board. There's a lot to play out.

Also don't forget the Premiership factor with players and their confidence. You grow another leg after winning a flag as that unknown has gone. You know you can do it and all the doubts are gone. Humility is massive with our players under the coaching staff. We are in the window and have a chance to go back to back but flags ain't easy and a lot has to go right. I am ready for the next roller coaster ride and I hope the club adds to the Membership our own personal defibrillators as we will need them.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:54 pm

Pies get better for 2024
Fox Footy 20-Oct-23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58rkv1Dpf0

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:34 pm

Didn't have a lot of injuries (compared to other years) and all our Veterans had ripper years. Can you pull that off again with everyone a year older? The head says no but the heart says if McStay has a full season and you add Schulz with a couple of McInnes Macrea Allan Ryan or Harrison exploding then it's on like Donkey Kong.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:47 pm

Culprit wrote:
... Even Framptom can become the monster we want. ...

That'd be a surprise.

Culprit wrote:
... Murphy is 50/50. ...

Yeah, a worry. Sad
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:39 pm

Adams and Ginny will be missed far more than acknowledged here. We will have to start afresh with a few players in new positions. That’s not to say that we can’t win the flag but will have to raise the bar higher during the season because we will be the hunted. As the cream, we must rise to the top.
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:47 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
Adams and Ginny will be missed far more than acknowledged here. We will have to start afresh with a few players in new positions. That’s not to say that we can’t win the flag but will have to raise the bar higher during the season because we will be the hunted. As the cream, we must rise to the top.

Ginny didn't contribute much to the season and Schulz plays HFF better than Adams so I think we are ahead there, the real rub will come from Johnson Macrea McInnes Harrison Ryan and Allan, we can hope for another stellar year from all the Veterans but I'd be more comfortable if a few of the above exploded and cemented a spot in the 23.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:12 pm

Kingsofclutch wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:

Ginny didn't contribute much to the season and Schulz plays HFF better than Adams so I think we are ahead there, the real rub will come from Johnson Macrea McInnes Harrison Ryan and Allan, we can hope for another stellar year from all the Veterans but I'd be more comfortable if a few of the above exploded and cemented a spot in the 23.

I think the summary of these two viewpoints is that the trade season was definitely neutral territory for us...not clear whether it was positive or negative. We gained Schultz, but lost both Ginni and Tay.
Everything depends on how Ash, Finn, Reef, Harvey, Jakob and Ed develop as senior players, and we need this to happen in 2024, not in 2025.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:06 am

Kingsofclutch wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. If Macrae, McInnes and Allan step up and begin getting regular senior games, then we should be a much better team next year. That's if...... Cool
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:43 am

Fox Sports: Scary Pies truth - best team in ‘24
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-best-23s-after-trade-period-ins-and-outs-recruits-signings-injuries-who-will-play-round-1-analysis/news-story/807b20dc10e4067abeef6d7a6301e9c6

B: Jeremy Howe, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard
HB: Isaac Quaynor, Nathan Murphy, Oleg Markov
C: Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Josh Daicos
HF: Lachie Schultz, Brody Mihocek, Jamie Elliott
F: Bobby Hill, Dan McStay, Beau McCreery
FOLL: Darcy Cameron, Nick Daicos, Jordan De Goey

I/C: Mason Cox, Jack Crisp, Pat Lipinski, Tom Mitchell, Will Hoskin-Elliott (sub)

Key off-season ins: Lachie Schultz
Key off-season outs: Jack Ginnivan, Taylor Adams

WE SAY: They lost a couple of pieces, but overall, they might have gotten better? The premiers kept the bulk of their premiership list intact, while adding a significant forward piece in Lachie Schultz. The former Docker is an upgrade on Jack Ginnivan who went to Hawthorn while the Pies also will include Dan McStay in their best team who was enormous in ensuring the Pies made the Grand Final. Which of course means that Billy Frampton goes back to being a versatile backup. Although, he could get called upon again to become a key piece of the backline along with skipper Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe as we await the results of Nathan Murphy’s meeting with the AFL concussion experts.

Taylor Adams’ departure to Sydney should also open the door for Patrick Lipinski and youngsters Finn Macrae, Reef McInnes and Ed Allan to push for more game time.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11   

Jump to: