Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are our chances for 2024?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think our chances are of winning the 2024 premiership?
Very good – we're in the box seat and will be hard to stop
28%
 28%  [ 30 ]
Pretty good – we should finish top 4 and still be in contention on preliminary final weekend, but hard to know from there
46%
 46%  [ 49 ]
Unsure – new season, everyone starts from scratch, and we're just one of many teams that can win it
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
Not so good – expecting a premiership hangover and/or for other teams to pass us by
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 106

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our chances currently are as good as anyone else’s
We will miss McStay he has his knockers but his presence in the forward line gave checkers the 2nd best defender snd opened spaces for Hill Elliott and alike
Down back we need to find a couple defenders. Murphy is 1 head knock away from being done and considering how frequently he’s suffering knocks his chances of completing the 2024 season would be 50/50 at best
Will our senior players have the same drive to go again ? That’s a unknown at the moment
This will be Howe’s last year for sure. That arm injury last year took a lot out of him. Sidey is highly unlikely to go on past this season. I don’t think his knee is anywhere near right still he’s walking with a limp still (seen footage of him entering the building only days ago and he was limping) with all the running he’s done over his career it’s not surprising his legs are tired)
Pendles will go on and soar to 400 games which will drive him
All 3 will still be important parts of any chance we have for going back to back

Our best chance is for for the younger players (20-25) to really take a big step forward
Improvement from Nick D will happen as it will with Josh, IQ is coming into his best years and Markov has young legs not over used, Hill’s confidence will be sky high after what he did in the GF and he should grow, McCreery is the one who I think holds the key. If he can spend time in the mid field with his pace and tackling he could be a real point of difference

Fingers crossed we get through the preseason after Xmas with no injuries and hit the season running
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:40 pm

Pretty much agree with your analysis QM67.

I'll just add that I have it very good authority from someone within the inner sanctum, that Ash Johnson is already the fittest he's been, and the club has high hopes for him in 2024. Also, the talk is that Alex Condon's basketball career is going nowhere, and he is very likely to be playing for us by August. Seriously, if this eventuates, we will go back to back to back to back. Bring it on.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'll just add that I have it very good authority from someone within the inner sanctum, that ...

Rudey, can you say any more re. "inner sanctum"? Is your source within the football department? Or is it e.g. Eddie (who may be projecting his own strong opinions on everything)? Question
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:35 am

RudeBoy wrote:

I'll just add that I have it very good authority from someone within the inner sanctum, that Ash Johnson is already the fittest he's been, and the club has high hopes for him in 2024. Also, the talk is that Alex Condon's basketball career is going nowhere, and he is very likely to be playing for us by August. Seriously, if this eventuates, we will go back to back to back to back. Bring it on.

Rude I should have married you ! You’ve agreed with me more here than the wife has in 32 years of marriage 😂😂

Mate I saw the highlights of the country training day and he looked fit as
Also I noticed Beau Mc looked like he has lost a couple kegs and looked ripped
The one for me was JDG he looked awesome if he is up and running for the season heaven help the other clubs midfield
Fingers crossed Condon ends up in black and white mate he would make a difference
Merry Xmas old mate to you and yours
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:55 pm

I should have been Bobby Hill on the cover...

Collingwood fans erupt as AFL Season Guide puts ‘runner-up’ Lachie Neale on front cover
Collingwood may have achieved the ultimate glory in 2023 but their fans still felt hard done by after Lachie Neale adorned the front cover of the 2024 AFL Season Guide.

“To all the Collingwood fans having a meltdown, the Brownlow medallist always features on the cover. Plenty of great Magpies content once you turn the page,” he posted.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-fans-erupt-as-afl-season-guide-puts-runner-up-lachie-neale-on-front-cover--c-12978813

‘Can’t be for real’: Wild reaction from fans after Lions superstar earns yearly honour
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/cant-be-for-real-wild-reaction-from-fans-after-lions-superstar-earns-yearly-honour/news-story/56c0c2749679cb74119bc6e489595f98

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Take_a_Screamer Leo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:58 pm

Footy Feed: Can the Pies go back-to-back?
Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich unpack Collingwood’s 2023 premiership season

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1072073/footy-feed-can-the-pies-go-back-to-back?videoId=1072073&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1703188800001

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:19 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Also, the talk is that Alex Condon's basketball career is going nowhere, and he is very likely to be playing for us by August. Seriously, if this eventuates, we will go back to back to back to back. Bring it on.

You really think Condon will make the team in 2024?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:37 am

RudeBoy wrote:

I'll just add that I have it very good authority from someone within the inner sanctum, that Ash Johnson is already the fittest he's been, and the club has high hopes for him in 2024.

Fantastic; just the news I was hoping for. The lad has enormous upside.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:22 pm

IMO, who can win the flag in 2024; Pies, Lions, Blues.

GWS, Dees, Swans, Port, Cats will cause a few headaches during the season, but will they be able to improve on their 2023?

Crows, Suns and Dogs cant win it, but can improve in their 2023 and possibly play finals.

No chance: Dons, North, WCE, Freo, Richmond, Hawks, St K.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:09 pm

Adelaide strike me as the most obvious challengers from outside the top 8 – it's not difficult for me to envision them finishing top 4. To the Blues and Lions, I'd add the Giants and maybe Port as teams that might threaten. Have a feeling Melbourne, Geelong and the Bulldogs are all heading in the opposite direction.

I think there's a good chance the Suns making top 8 for the first time, but I agree with you that they won't win it. Of the last group, this is more guesswork than anything, but I reckon one or more of Fremantle, Hawthorn and St Kilda could surprise. I think North will improve but still finish outside the top 8, Richmond are going to be mediocre again, and that it's going to be another long year for West Coast.

All that might boil down to something like:

1. Collingwood
2. GWS
3. Carlton
4. Brisbane
5. Adelaide
6. Port Adelaide
7. Hawthorn
8. Gold Coast

9. St. Kilda
10. Melbourne
11. Fremantle
12. Sydney
13. North Melbourne
14. Richmond
15. Geelong
16. Essendon
17. Western Bulldogs
18. West Coast

Take_a_Screamer Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:25 pm

From Jesse (True Footy YT channel)...

Collingwood AFL 2024 Resolutions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypgxPx6miOY

1. Avoid Premiership Hangover
2. Have a fit Charlie Dean option
3. Integrate Lachie schultz seamlessly
4. Finding KF solution for McStay
5. Give exposure to some young midfielders
6. Rely more on depth
7. Recruit another KF

❤️️
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:13 am

We can go again, if ~
1) we continue to play the minutes again and break sides who don't possess the mental resilience or fitness to play out 4 quarters. This is our DNA.
2) see a 20% improvement on the average tackle count from each and every player per game. Tackles bring pressure, pressure brings turnovers, we score from turnovers,
3) achieve a percentage > 120%* hence essential we get 50+ goals from a combination of Johnson McInnes. Those that think McStay isn't important will find out pretty quickly why we recruited him if Checkers goes down.
4) Moore remains injury free.
5) have 5X players nominated in the AA squad (Moore, Naicos, Jaicos, IQ, JDG) + IF we have an elite small forward that gets in the squad, all the better.

*H&A 2023 goals > player > H&A 2024 goals forecast ~
• 16 Dan McStay -xx

• 44 Brodie Mihocek >35
• 21 Ash Johnson >35 (we've seen his ability, now we want to see application, that means repeat leading patterns and defensive accoutability)
• 3 Reef McInnes >20
• 0 Nathan Kreuger >10

• 3 Harvey Harrison >10
• 18 Beau McCreery >20
• 3 Reef McInnes >10
• 25 Norm Hill >35
• 38 Jamie Elliott >25
• 33 Lachie Schultz >30
(allows for injuries / players coming in to replace or earn a spot)

Group totals ~
• 2023 H&A goals kicked > 204 (inc Schultz) without 171
• 2024 H&A goals forecast > 230

If the base line forecasts occur, that would result in a 26 goal or a 12% increase on the 2023 H&A season.
Given we'll be likely playing the 2023 top 8 twice in season 2024, I reckon that's a minimum we'll need to improve by offensively to ensure we stay in the top 4 and keep our percentage in the Premiership range of > 120%.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:13 pm

A fitter and stronger 'Magic' Johnson plus the addition of 'Sergeant' Schultz, should result in a considerably better forward line this year. All we need is the emergence of another KPD, especially, given the possibility/probability that Murphy will be retired, if he is concussed again.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:02 pm
Post subject: Starting team for the 2024 campaignReply with quote

Noted this team published in The Australian/Herald Sun today as the Pies group to kick off the campaign.

FB: I.Quaynor, B.Frampton, B.Maynard
HB: N.Murphy, D.Moore, J.Crisp
C: S.Sidebottom, S.Pendlebury, J.Daicos
HF: B.McCreery, B.Mihocek, B.Hill
F: J.Elliott, M.Cox, L.Schultz
Foll: D.Cameron, N. Daicos, J.De Goey
Inter: O.Markov, T.Mitchell, J.Howe, P.Lipinski, A.Johnson (sub)

I don't think I would have Frampton at FB. Yes - he played in the premiership, but as a FF. My starting side (and maybe this would be equivelant to our best side?) would look like:

FB: I.Quaynor, N.Murphy, B.Maynard
HB: J.Howe, D.Moore, J.Crisp
C: S.Sidebottom, S.Pendlebury, J.Daicos
HF: B.McCreery, B.Mihocek, B.Hill
FF: J.Elliott, A.Johnson, L.Schultz
Foll: M.Cox, N. Daicos, J.De Goey
Inter: O.Markov, T.Mitchell, D.Cameron, W.Hoskin-Elliott, Sub F.McRae

Throughout the year, I hope Noble can find a spot somewhere.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:31 pm

2 months out, cadet journo's filling the "best 22" in January quota.
Plenty will happen between now and then.
I'll wait for the pre-game thread and who is firing during the last week of training.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11   

Jump to: