Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ranking the Premierships

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:37 am
Post subject: Ranking the PremiershipsReply with quote

Given the age of most posters, I assume most here have seen 3 flags in their lifetime (1990, 2010 and 2023).

Of course there's exceptional circumstances for those who are old enough to have witnessed 1958 and maybe even 1953, or in my case I've seen the 2 flags from 2010 and 2023.

All premierships are fantastic, but I'm sure there's always a favourite one that you look back upon with that extra sense of fondness. How do you rank the premierships you've witnessed in terms of personal favouritism?

Last edited by Jezza on Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

1). 2023 = My favourite premiership. Finally experienced a close Grand Final victory after so many heartbreaking defeats over the years. The style of play under Fly was breathtaking, we levelled up the premiership tally after 40+ years and we won a Grand Final in September after 65 years. The clutch moments from De Goey and Sidebottom in the final quarter is the stuff of legends. An absolute dream come true!

2). 2010 = A unique set of circumstances that will never be repeated with the Grand Final Replay now being scrapped. The main reason I wouldn't rank it above 2023 is the fact that we drew in the first Grand Final. However, the satisfaction of breaking the drought after 20 years is not lost on me. Heath Shaw's smother was the turning point and we never looked back.

Big_Glenn_Sandford 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:46 pm

1. 2023 - Finished on top, won a close one, special moments that will long be remembered.

2. 1990 - The drought breaker, the qtr time brawl, losing twice to Essendon in the H&A - Daicos magic, Millane, the SA young recruits Francis & Russell, Tony Shaw NRM Smith, Millane broken thumb. I could go on!

3. 2010 - A forced 3rd position. Marred by the draw. Went on to become a lethal football side in 2011, best Pies footy I’ve seen played but muffed it.

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:02 pm

Historically the best ever is a toss up between 1930 and 1958, it's hard to separate an impossible 4th in a row flag or defending that record against what old timers called a team of Supermen (Melbourne) who by the way would have won 6 flags in a row if we didn't stop them in 58, that's how good they were with giants like Norm Smith and Ronald Dale Barassi at the helm. But after losing the previous 10 straight games to the great Demon team Phonse Kyne pulled out our illustrious history and told the boys what was on the line and famously asked them to "kill for Collingwood".

*1910 we beat Carlton in the Grand Final despite Carlton backman Vic Belcher flattening Collingwood champion Les Hughes before the ball was bounced so pretty standard garbage from the Baggers.

In a last ditch effort with the game slipping away, Carlton reverted to its time honored ‘footbrawl’ tactics. Described by a newspaper as “the most disgraceful scene ever witnessed in a Melbourne football final”, the wildest brawl erupted ten minutes into the final stanza.

Interesting that a betting scandal (Carlton players paid to lie down against South Melb) led to 3 players being sacked the week before... never change scum, never change.

lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:48 pm

1990…..hands down.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:50 pm

1958 For me
Stinga 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:48 pm

All three I've seen are bloody amazing and its unfair to order them into favourites, but that's the brief and I'm going for it.

Fave-
1990 - the one I never thought I'd ever see after so much heartbreak (I remember 70 onwards, and retrospectively suffered with 66, 64 & 60). To see Daics, Banksy & Shawry from the 79-81 losses win a flag was so good. Celebrated for three days at Vic Park. Amazing times.

2nd fave
2023 as an elder statesman now, has an amazing feeling. It feels as though our tragic victim culture has been erased. The unbridled joy of winning a close game, which either we or the footy gods have traditionally snatched from us is soooo good. And for it to get us back on equal top of the premiership table for VFL/AFL is so satisfying to stick it to the Cheats (Blosers and Bummers).

The Jan Brady 3rd fave -
2010, so good after our late 90s demise to climb back up and win one. Peter McKenna presenting the Cup still brings a tear to the eye and a lump in the throat. The Heater smother, Dids smother and goal, the last quarter knowing we were going to win.

Great thread, help to bring back great emotions and memories. Let's hope we've got another one or few to rank next year or over the next few years. GO PIES.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:58 pm

Funny, I thought I'd already posted here.

1. 1990 hands down. The long drought ended. The most gutsy team. And we beat a long time rival.

2. 2023 - just an incredible grand final. A worthy win for the best team all year. And we got one back from those Brions.

3. 2010 - we had to live out two weeks of hell, but in the end it was worth it.
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:00 pm

1990 - you had to be there to see the joy and relief of winning that one. No one in the crowd celebrated until Monkhorst kicked the final goal to put us up by about 48 points with a few minutes to go.
2023 - for me this culminated the best two seasons of football I’ve ever seen from the CFC. Remarkable.
2010 - strong and talented side. Should have won another one.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:40 pm

1. 1990 (drought broken, big win vs big VIC rival, Daicos magic, was there with my dad, was an amazing feeling to experience a premiership win - something I thought was only reserved for the navy blue or brown and gold during my then short time on Earth).
2. 2023 (finally a close GF win, highlights a-plenty, some sort of 'redemption' vs the Lions, finally a premiership win in September)
3. 2010 (the initial draw takes some of the lustre off, as does Leon not being there for the replay, but we owned that finals series)

'Fun' Facts:
2023: less goals than Brisbane
2010 (game 1): less goals than St Kilda
[ we know how to botch our chances ]

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:13 pm

Stinga wrote:
All three I've seen are bloody amazing and its unfair to order them into favourites, but that's the brief and I'm going for it.

Fave-
1990 - the one I never thought I'd ever see after so much heartbreak (I remember 70 onwards, and retrospectively suffered with 66, 64 & 60). To see Daics, Banksy & Shawry from the 79-81 losses win a flag was so good. Celebrated for three days at Vic Park. Amazing times.

2nd fave
2023 as an elder statesman now, has an amazing feeling. It feels as though our tragic victim culture has been erased. The unbridled joy of winning a close game, which either we or the footy gods have traditionally snatched from us is soooo good. And for it to get us back on equal top of the premiership table for VFL/AFL is so satisfying to stick it to the Cheats (Blosers and Bummers).

The Jan Brady 3rd fave -
2010, so good after our late 90s demise to climb back up and win one. Peter McKenna presenting the Cup still brings a tear to the eye and a lump in the throat. The Heater smother, Dids smother and goal, the last quarter knowing we were going to win.

Great thread, help to bring back great emotions and memories. Let's hope we've got another one or few to rank next year or over the next few years. GO PIES.

I'm with you Stinga.

1990 was the one we thought we'd never see, after all those tragic losses throughout the 60s, 70s and early 80s. Afterall, that's when the dreaded 'Colliwobbles' were finally buried.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:22 pm

VicParkTragic wrote:
1990 - you had to be there to see the joy and relief of winning that one. No one in the crowd celebrated until Monkhorst kicked the final goal to put us up by about 48 points with a few minutes to go.
2023 - for me this culminated the best two seasons of football I’ve ever seen from the CFC. Remarkable.
2010 - strong and talented side. Should have won another one.

yeah for us it was seeing matthews come down the steps thumping the air, me and my sister looked at each other and said "OMG we are going to win!" Ill never forget it, it was amazing, staying til the end, then off to Vic park Simply the best day I ever lived!

2023 next, finally shared a win with my daughter, the last 2 years have truly been something special,

2010, the tears at the draw and watching the win at the ESPN sports bar in down town disney! ugh, i cant believe it, when i booked I actually said "i hope its not a draw" and that was before the finals had even started!

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:56 pm

1990 is a clear 1 for me.
For those of us who lived it and especially as I was around in the late 70's. Just an incredible year and feeling.

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:10 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
For those of us who lived it and especially as I was around in the late 70's. Just an incredible year and feeling.

I walked out of the ground and couldn't feel my body, it felt light as a feather, that whole walking on air thing is really your body so jacked with endorphins you may as well be coked to the eyeballs, never felt anything like it.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:30 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:

For me too. I just couldn’t stop crying like a baby from about the 10 minute mark of the last quarter. When I looked around, most of the Collingwood supporters were also producing happy tears. I will never forget the numerous happy hugs and later on, the legendary night at Victoria Park.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: