Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nineteenth Hole

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
Played 9 at Churchill Park this arvo. I was on fire with 3 pars and a birdie (par 3) but finished on 51. The birdie will keep me going back. I will forget 2 holes.

That's excellent. The bad holes always drag down the score, but it's not easy at all to have four good holes out of nine like that.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:27 pm

Culprit wrote:
There are a lot of courses that now run around with a cart and a trailer thing with food and drinks. It's very smart as every group buys something. Mind you we start with a few cans and I play better, must be more relaxed. Shocked Laughing Laughing

The forecast for Yarawonga on Saturday is 30. Sounds perfect for golf and drinks.

revised forecast is 34 with showers, it's currently 37 up there.

Sounds perfect for drinks. Wink

slangman 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
back from 9 holes at Royal Bundoora. 56 off the stick.

Is the course in better condition than last year?

I played there quite a few times last year and every time vowed to never go back as the condition of the course was poor.
Finally kept to my word and have not played there this year.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:04 pm

^

I can't compare to last year as I hadn't played for close to 10 years until recently, but it's in pretty good nick. Fairways and greens are all good. What was wrong with it last year?

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:41 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I can't compare to last year as I hadn't played for close to 10 years until recently, but it's in pretty good nick. Fairways and greens are all good. What was wrong with it last year?

The fairways were inconsistent and quite patchy, the rough seemed like it had not been mowed in months with twigs and leaves in abundance and the greens were all over the place regarding speed.
The bunkers were in terrible condition with not much sand and were so compacted that it was like hitting off a cart path.

I know that they have new management now and hopefully improving course condition is a priority.

The driving range was good though.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:14 pm

Stuck in Melbourne for a couple of weeks dog sitting, so no golf. Going stir crazy.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:31 pm

slangman wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

The fairways were inconsistent and quite patchy, the rough seemed like it had not been mowed in months with twigs and leaves in abundance and the greens were all over the place regarding speed.
The bunkers were in terrible condition with not much sand and were so compacted that it was like hitting off a cart path.

I know that they have new management now and hopefully improving course condition is a priority.

The driving range was good though.

I used the driving range recently. I don't know what it was like but it's got about 5 places, undercover and each one has one of those trackman things with a screen and camera. You still hit out onto the range but you have the screen giving you accurate info on carry, run, swing speed, ball speed etc.

The fairways are good IMHO, the greens are still tricky for speed. A bit slow but if you get a downhill putt the ball flys.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:04 pm

Up in Toc. It takes a special kind of lunacy to say to yourself, "It's 36 degrees and humid, too fkn hot to do any more yard work. Let's go play 9 holes of golf"
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Up in Toc. It takes a special kind of lunacy to say to yourself, "It's 36 degrees and humid, too fkn hot to do any more yard work. Let's go play 9 holes of golf"

Its never too hot to play golf Very Happy ….unless you’re a hairy Scotsman who refuses to play golf in temperatures above 25 degrees.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:04 pm

^

Laughing Not a hairy Scotsman, but geez it was hot. Sol glad i decided to take one of the carts rather than walk.

Front 9 of the Presidents course, Par 36, over 3000m, 3 par 5's including one left hand dogleg biatch which has a massive bunker complete with plants in the middle of the fairway, 240m from the tee right where the fairway turns left. You can't cut the corner, it's too long and you end up in rough under trees, you need to pull up just short of it and to the right to get a 3 iron approach shot toward the green. I think I got an 8 on that one. Embarassed

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:43 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Laughing Not a hairy Scotsman, but geez it was hot. Sol glad i decided to take one of the carts rather than walk.

Front 9 of the Presidents course, Par 36, over 3000m, 3 par 5's including one left hand dogleg biatch which has a massive bunker complete with plants in the middle of the fairway, 240m from the tee right where the fairway turns left. You can't cut the corner, it's too long and you end up in rough under trees, you need to pull up just short of it and to the right to get a 3 iron approach shot toward the green. I think I got an 8 on that one. Embarassed

I wish someone would design a course that has trees down the middle and fairways either side of the trees…..my fairway accuracy would skyrocket to 100%

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:00 am

Camping down at Rye and playing Bayviews has been fun. The other golf courses have lost the plot. Safety Beach wants $55 for weekend play yet I can go to Eagle Ridge after 2 pm for $120 for 2 with a cart. Mt Martha same price. Bayviews after 1 pm are 2 and a cart is $96. We played off the Blue markers as that's where they have the white pins at the moment. I won on handicap but blew out to 106, 50 on the front, and 56 on the back. Losing balls doesn't help but I am not searching in the bushes with the snakes up there.

I put this in the jokes thread but threw it in here as well.

A guy goes to confession, “Forgive me Father for I have sinned, I said the “F” word at golf. The priest says how did that happen? “Well Father Tee’d off and it sliced right into the woods”. The priest interrupted, “Is that when you said it?” “No Father it hit a tree and bounced back and landed perfectly right in the middle of the fairway. I then used my wedge and sliced it right into the other side of the fairway trees”. The priest again interrupted, “Is that when you said it?” "No father, it bounced off one tree, hit the ball washer, and landed 1ft from the hole". The priest goes, “Don’t tell me you missed the fckn putt?”
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:40 am

slangman wrote:
I wish someone would design a course that has trees down the middle and fairways either side of the trees…..my fairway accuracy would skyrocket to 100%

If you hit the wrong fairway, it still counts.

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:23 pm

Culprit wrote:
Camping down at Rye and playing Bayviews has been fun. The other golf courses have lost the plot. Safety Beach wants $55 for weekend play yet I can go to Eagle Ridge after 2 pm for $120 for 2 with a cart. Mt Martha same price. Bayviews after 1 pm are 2 and a cart is $96. We played off the Blue markers as that's where they have the white pins at the moment. I won on handicap but blew out to 106, 50 on the front, and 56 on the back. Losing balls doesn't help but I am not searching in the bushes with the snakes up there.

Bayviews is an underrated course imho.
I had an 81 there last time around with a double bogey on the 18th 🤦🏻‍♂️.
Not sure how many more times I will be able to walk the course…it’s a bloody tough walk.

Eagle Ridge is also a beauty even though I’m on a first name basis with all of the bunkers.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:11 am

^^I no longer walk the guys I play with have issues it's easier to get a cart. Those hills are tough.
I need to take a bucket and a spade to Eagle Ridge as I always end up in the bunkers. Few courses now removing bunkers due to the cost of maintaining them. My 60-degree is the club that always gets me out of bunkers.

Off for another at Bayviews today and it's about winning the campers title, down to 4 of us. Just need to play to my handicap and I will be fine lol Bayviews is ranked around 100 in the best public courses in Australia. Our saying is the "ball runs to the water" there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: