Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

President Jeff Browne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. The bloke deserves far more acknowledgement and in this case, well-wishes.

On his leadership, he has been incredibly dignified, being blessed with that rare ability to 'lead from behind', pushing others to the fore while maintaining a low profile.

I for one feared him being more of the old boy's club, but let it go on the basis that people can surprise, while the highly fancied often disappoint.

It goes to show one should always reserve judgement when they simply don't know enough about a person.

(As an aside, the biggest conundrum in leadership today, including that of countries, is that the people we do know enough about tend to be narcissists or worse, malignant narcissists, by definition. Serious leaders are summarily discounted on that basis, leaving us with a cacophony of unstable crazies to choose from).

mightypies90 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:44 am

^
That’s why most of them become politicians, because they are narcissists. They aren’t in it for the good of the people, they are in it for themselves and their benefactors. A good leader doesn’t want the power and doesn’t want to lead, but does so because it’s what needs to be done.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:21 am
Post subject: Jeff Brown presidencyReply with quote

Obviously there’s nothing like a flag to make supporters happy, but objectively what do we think about Jeff so far?

I have to admit that he wasn’t my preferred candidate at the time but it has been refreshing to not see him in the news and I’ve been impressed with the timeliness and content of his communications with the members

Comparisons to Eddie aside, your thoughts?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:07 am

Different roles. Eddie grew the brand. Jeff is maintaining the brand. Eddie had to make some tough decisions around coterie groups all seemingly pulling the club in different directions.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:34 pm

Yeah i like this older under stated style from jeff seams to go about it low key and just gets on with the jobs at hand.

but still likes to do whats best for the club and only the best will do.
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:41 pm

mightypies90 wrote:
^
That’s why most of them become politicians, because they are narcissists. They aren’t in it for the good of the people, they are in it for themselves and their benefactors. A good leader doesn’t want the power and doesn’t want to lead, but does so because it’s what needs to be done.

Bravo. It is both refreshing and a relief to hear others say that. Having worked amongst the self interested narcissistic types I would not wish it on anyone with a decent set of values.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:54 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Different roles. Eddie grew the brand. Jeff is maintaining the brand. Eddie had to make some tough decisions around coterie groups all seemingly pulling the club in different directions.

That's fine. But Eddie's biggest mistake was interfering with the football department.

Sheesh. Eddie thinks he knows footy. Big mistake. That's one advantage the Tiggers had with Peggy. As an American woman, she didn't assume she knows better than the whole footy department about footy stuff.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:46 pm

Jeff Browne has done a terrific job, but having contributed to us winning the flag, he now is fighting his biggest battle, against cancer. Having been through this myself many years ago, I have some insight into the emotional, as well as physical, roller coaster ride he is probably on. I wish him all the best and hope he remains healthy and at the helm of our club as we embark on an epoch of unrivalled dominance in the AFL.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:08 pm
Post subject: Re: Jeff Brown presidencyReply with quote

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Comparisons to Eddie aside, your thoughts?

Good to see this part went straight out the window Very Happy

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:14 pm

Season''s end 2024:

* Craig Kelly: Shall become President
* Jeff shall step down (possibly remain as a Board Member)
* New CEO installed (Xavier Campbell on 12 month USA sabbatical)
* Graham Wright to resume normal duties

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:23 pm

I think Browne and the board have been good overall since the board instability settled down at the end of 2021 and we got on with driving a new era under Fly.

It's refreshing to see a President who's largely low profiled in the media, but is still able to have significant influence behind the scenes with relevant stakeholders including the AFL.

We've finally seen a modernisation of the club constitution which includes term limits. This replaces the one that was originally drafted in the New Magpies era. It's been great to see that members are now voting on a regular basis, which is something that eluded us for too long under McGuire.

The away seating deal may have not been completely satisfactory, but our hands were somewhat tied with the MCC deal expiring, and Richmond and Hawthorn pressuring the MCC to renegotiate a new deal with us that was perceived to be more equitable from those club's perspective.

At least we've still retained enough seats for those with away game access, albeit we've lost level 2 seats which is disappointing for members who have sat up there for many years. A bit annoying that membership prices have been raised by at least an extra $100 for Legends members despite losing those entitlements.

Empowering Fly and the football department to instill a successful football program can't be understated. Letting them get on with it without interference is everything you can ask for.

No board is perfect of course, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. It helps the last two years have been excellent on the football field Smile

K 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:51 pm

‘In the past hubris could have been a problem’: Jeff Browne’s plan for the Pies

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/in-the-past-hubris-could-have-been-a-problem-jeff-browne-s-plan-for-the-pies-20240314-p5fce8.html

* In a wide-ranging interview ahead of the Magpies’ first home game this season, Jeff Browne outlined his hopes for 2024.
* He rejected suggestions the club had celebrated the flag too long and revealed plans for Collingwood to grow.
* He said the Pies would be ultra-conservative with Nathan Murphy’s concussion issues.
* He revealed he is in remission and suggested that the players have provided him with inspiration in his health battle.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:05 pm

This “celebrating too long” narrative bugs me. Yes Leigh Matthew’s is a legend, but he’s also from a bygone era. In his later days, nobody was going to Barassi for coaching or club administration tips. Robert Walls either.

Anytime he opens his mouth the whole industry laps it up like a gospels but his time was 20 years ago. Could not coach a team nowadays in my view as the world moves on. How quickly do we all fall asleep when your grandpa starts a story with “back in my day….”. Please…. Zzzzzzzz

Back to Jeff though - thanks for posting the story. I appreciate what he’s done for the club.

We shouldn’t be ashamed of our achievements.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:42 pm

Matthew’s is just a grumble guts these days would have been a huge fan of the film if Brisbane won
Never did value his time at Collingwood was only in it for him
Move onto jeff so much refreshing
Well done brownie
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:25 pm

Newelly wrote:
mightypies90 wrote:
^

Bravo. It is both refreshing and a relief to hear others say that. Having worked amongst the self interested narcissistic types I would not wish it on anyone with a decent set of values.

Bravo #2

Refreshing indeed.
A narcissistic leader I served under, was only ever self-serving & never could acknowledge the truth even when the walls were crumbling around him.
Scary when these dudes rule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: