Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Labor - The Bad, The Ugly and the occasional Good.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

In the ground waiting for Skids mates to dig them up. You don't get Solar and Batteries and EV's without mining.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:06 am

Plenty of people love their solar and batteries at the moment.

Meanwhile in America. "U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene suggested that solar and wind energy don't provide enough electricity to power a home, and that she doesn’t “wanna have to go to bed when the sun sets.”
You can't make this stuff up. Shocked Laughing Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:24 pm

^

She'd be one of those who reckons Daylight Savings causes the curtains to fade. That extra hour of daylight and all. Razz Wink

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:59 pm

Culprit wrote:
Plenty of people love their solar and batteries at the moment.

Meanwhile in America. "U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene suggested that solar and wind energy don't provide enough electricity to power a home, and that she doesn’t “wanna have to go to bed when the sun sets.”
You can't make this stuff up. Shocked Laughing Laughing

As I said in the other thread,today’s Republicans are insane,not to mention stupid.What does it say about the people who are voting for these idiots?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:41 pm

^^After the Vietnam Police action to stop communism and that failure the US government went down the path of dumbing down its population. It's worked, they don't think, believe in God, and think what many Republicans say is gospel.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:10 pm

Disgusting that the a junior stop sign holder will earn over $120,000 due to Labor putting money it doesn't have into the pockets of CFMEU members.

Worst still is that every site I see has many of these people standing around all day doing SFA, spending most of the time on their phones.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:01 pm

Starting to think we should rename this "The Herald Sun daily front page thread" Laughing
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:52 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Disgusting that the a junior stop sign holder will earn over $120,000 due to Labor putting money it doesn't have into the pockets of CFMEU members.

Worst still is that every site I see has many of these people standing around all day doing SFA, spending most of the time on their phones.

That's the way of the world now.

I'll never forget the half hour I spent emptying the bins around the maintenance crews yard at Roy Hill a few years ago. The 3 female apprentices (electrical) were oblivious as to what was going on, the phones are their world.
Plus, they'd just finished their smoko, can't have the little dears moving around too much after a tummy full of food.

The zero response from the supervisors I queried about the non existent work ethic of their apprentices was also predictable. Say anything to the apprentices and they'd be on the mat for bullying.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:09 pm

David wrote:
Starting to think we should rename this "The Herald Sun daily front page thread" Laughing

Nailed it.How come the Age doesn’t get a run here? Very Happy
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:06 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Pays to be in a Union.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:12 pm

^

The CFMEU yes (particulalry in Victoria), in general No.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:20 pm

Not that I take any of this seriously – everyone here should be old enough to know by now that any story like this is almost certainly going to be a beat-up – but for those whinging about this, get yourselves a better union and stop bagging those who are able to exercise power to stand up for themselves and get a decent pay.

You have to scroll down past the predictable outraged takes, but some useful context here:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/you-dont-raise-a-sweat-120000-traffic-controller-deal-sparks-backlash-and-a-heated-defence-of-tradies/news-story/e76ea85c55e242c3cf40634c04b594c5

Quote:
While traffic controllers earn good money in Australia, some have previously warned that the job is very “inconsistent”.

Melbourne woman Maria Kefalas, who was earning around $2000 a week, said recently that the idea you’re going to be “rich” gives “false hope”.

“What people don’t tell you is you can work that whole week from Monday to Friday and get that much money but then you could … have a whole month with no work,” she said in video on social media in 2021.

[...]

TikToker Kerry said she wouldn’t recommend the job, saying while she was paid $45 an hour in Sydney, shifts were hard to come by and she spent $600 of her own cash on training and uniforms.

“It’s the biggest scam in Australia for backpackers,” she warned in the video.

“People are coming to Australia and spending hundreds on traffic control courses thinking they’re going to get loads of hours and it’s going to be a full-time, stable job. If that’s the case, just go work in bar work or hospitality because it’s so much easier.”

She said she worked for two traffic control companies and completed a range of courses “in the middle of f**king nowhere”, and bought her own uniform.

Then, after dropping several hundred dollars on the gig, Kerry said she was put on a casual roster and some weeks didn’t get any shifts at all.

“I’m like, ‘Sorry, sir, I actually have to pay rent here, can I have some hours?’” she said.

“My boss used to text me at like 11pm at night and say, ‘Oh, you’re in at 6am.’ Like can you at least give me 24 hours notice?”

The Irish woman said once she secured a shift, the work could be hours away and her company did not supply her a car.

“Don’t be rushing over here to be a traffic control worker, it’s nothing like it’s made out to be and it’s f**king boring!” she said.

Sounds like most people here would be looking at their phones too if they had this job (maybe reading Nick's?). Wink

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:32 pm

Office workers bitching about other workers getting paid penalty rates isn't anything new.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:30 pm

Yep. And the irony is that these Herald Sun journalists could, if this is as much of a money-spinner as they say, quit their (no doubt low-paying and precarious) jobs and start spending eight hours a day holding up stop signs on the road. But somehow I think they already know that it's not all they're cracking it up to be and that they wouldn't really want to do that kind of work anyway. But guess what: someone has to do it, and maybe keeping drivers safe during roadworks is actually contributing more to society than typing up tripe for tomorrow's fish-and-chip wrapper.

What they want, and what they want their readers to believe, is that the people who do these jobs are both beneath them and deserving of being treated accordingly. And if they can encourage other underpaid working-class people to feel jealous and resentful in the process and get them to argue amongst themselves, then that's a win for the Murdochs and Rineharts of the world. Spread half-truths, divide and conquer. It's all remarkably transparent.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:38 pm

^

Geez, you've put a spin on it with that last para.

The world is full of boring jobs and there's plenty of people who are happy to park their brain when they go to work and get their fulfillment elsewhere. Not everyone wants intellectual stimulation in their job, some just go there to get money to fund what they get enjoyment from.

Those Journo's you disparage will have likely been to uni and are seeking a career in journalism which again is not for everyone. There's no need to look down at anyone because of their career choices with possible exception for political staffers. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: