Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DNA tests and family connections

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
It's an eyeopener and you wonder where the 1% comes from. Which company did you use David?

Ancestry.com, like Stui. I should note these are my sister's results – she took one for the team and forked out for a test – but maps onto my own research when I had a free trial on the site a few weeks ago. I got a bit obsessed and managed to trace my family line back to the late 1400s on my mum's side! The most mysterious though is the Greek side of my father's family – we know little about them – and anything to do with Ireland before around the early 1800s, as few records exist.

The biggest revelation was that my own surname, i.e. the family of my paternal grandfather's mother, came from Ireland originally before migrating to Scotland in around 1850 or so. That side of the family all lived around Inveresk (just east of Edinburgh) for around two generations before migrating to Australia soon after World War I, but the trace is more or less immediately lost before that in Ireland (the frequent variation in spellings of surnames on birth certificates and census forms doesn't help, and I don't even know for sure where in Ireland they were from).

Otherwise, as far as I can tell I have no convict background and no family background in Australia on any side before around the mid-nineteenth century.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:36 pm

David wrote:
and 1/8th "Greek"; it just turns out the Greek side is a mix of maybe Greek and Macedonian or some such.

Welcome to the family, David Wink

We'll get you eating stuffed peppers (Polneti Piperki) in no time Laughing

In all seriousness, I know that you've mentioned in the past of having Greek ancestry, but I didn't realise you had a Greek-Macedonian connection.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:14 pm

Haha, it'd be a first! But I've always liked Greek food so I reckon I'd be up for it...

I don't know for sure if there's Macedonian background, but I'm trying to figure out the Balkan link and thinking it might be somewhere like that.

Given the percentages, my guess would be that my great-great-grandmother (whose name was anglicised as Mary Morris on documents after moving to Australia, and whose maiden name is listed in a book about early Greek migration to Australia as 'Moros' or 'Morou') might have been the one who was from that part of the world. Her husband's name was Demetrio Argurekas – so I'm guessing he must have been fully Greek, at any rate.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:17 pm

My heritage on my father's side is my ancestors fought at the Eureka Stockade. Mum's side is the Stolen Generation. I can go back to the 1500s with Dad, not so far with Mum.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:18 pm

My paternal Grandfathers Grandfather was transported to Australia at age 17 in 1838.

I've been able to go back 2 further generations to his grandfather who was born in 1770. The 3 generations were all in West Ham Essex but I have NFI what they did.

When Edward came out here, he had no trade skills, just worked on the land in rural NSW and settled in Howlong near Albury.

Mum's side is a dead end on her fathers side at this stage as he was born illegitimate in 1907. All the tracking is on his stepfather. I'd have to really dig into the DNA matches to try to unravel his parentage.

On mum's fathers mothers side, there's convict heritage there and links to the Kelly gang. Mum's grandmothers family were next door neighbours to the Kelly's in Greta. They relocated to Hillston around when Ned was hanged as they were known Kelly supporters and were refused land to settle on at Greta. Mum's grandmothers Grandfather was transported to Sydney in 1828 at age 28 for stealing sheep. Left behind a wife and 3 kids, got remarried in Australia and had another 4 kids.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:16 pm

Ned gets around. "Known supporters", geez that's a bit harsh. That would be most of the common people excluding police and their families.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: