Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DNA tests and family connections

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
^
How was it meeting his missus and your grandlkids? Did they tell the kids who you are?
All went well, they are old enough to understand and have been in the loop. They were/are pretty excited as they have more relatives and the difficult part is what do they call me. I said I have never been big on GrandPa or Pa. So call me Pop, Poppy, or Dale, whatever you're comfortable with. They love their new Cousins and dote over them as they are younger. Early days, everyone seems excited and seems to be adjusting.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:52 am

That’s awesome xx
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:10 am

Great stuff.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:08 am

Strange times, I am hearing from my new family more than my family. Laughing It's like being given a second chance to fix all the screw-ups I did the first time around.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:20 pm

An update, all has been going great and we are in the process of adding my name to his Birth Certificate. We have the evidence so it's a simple process. Now inheritance won't be an issue as I am spending that.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:28 pm

Laughing You're officially a SKI? Spending Kids Inheritance. Wink
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:44 pm

We've had a couple of incidents with Ancestry.com dna tests. Firstly my missus was adopted and once her results were public on their website, a couple of blood relatives p.m.ed her wanting to know where she fit in. All good as the immediate blood relatives knew of her existence so the skeleton in the closet wasn't too bad.

I had a p.m. after my test from a woman trying to locate her father. She claimed it was a possible uncle of mine but upon closer checking she was the adoptive daughter of a cousin of mine that relinquished her in 1969. We had a few emails but I can't let on to the cousin or her family. We've had no luck tracing her natural father unfortunately without the cousins' assistance.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:23 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
We've had a couple of incidents with Ancestry.com dna tests. Firstly my missus was adopted and once her results were public on their website, a couple of blood relatives p.m.ed her wanting to know where she fit in. All good as the immediate blood relatives knew of her existence so the skeleton in the closet wasn't too bad.

I had a p.m. after my test from a woman trying to locate her father. She claimed it was a possible uncle of mine but upon closer checking she was the adoptive daughter of a cousin of mine that relinquished her in 1969. We had a few emails but I can't let on to the cousin or her family. We've had no luck tracing her natural father unfortunately without the cousins' assistance.

That's a lot to take in as well. Yes, some people want nothing to do with these results.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:28 pm

Seems you've had a perfect result.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:56 am

Well, the results are in and there are no real surprises, except that it turns out I’m a fair bit more Irish than I thought!

Irish 38%
Scottish 28%
Welsh 14%
English / northwestern European 8%
Germanic 4%
Balkan 4%
Greek/Albanian 2%
Cypriot 1%
Aegean 1%

The test seems to be pretty accurate – I already knew I was 1/16th German and 1/8th "Greek"; it just turns out the Greek side is a mix of maybe Greek and Macedonian or some such. Otherwise, I could be wrong but I think my ancestors from Cornwall have been lumped in with "Welsh", as I’m not aware of any specific Welsh background in my family.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:32 am

It's an eyeopener and you wonder where the 1% comes from. Which company did you use David?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 am

^Haha nice. I've been more curious living here and having ancestors from Yorkshire. And reading about the layers of migration to the UK over time, from the Celtic tribes, Romans, Angles and Saxons, and Belgic tribes, to the Danelaw period (Viking rule) centred on Yorkshire, and then the Normans, it could be any old combination.

Interestingly, the Normans themselves were a mix of French and Danish, with the Vikings central to Norman success, and the Normans then going on to rule England.

It's quite amazing how much impact the wild Norseman have had on history in these parts.

Mum's paternal side is Irish, there's a Jewish great grandmother, and every hair colour you care to name.

So, the real mix is a curious business. Then again, it might be very boring. But it's a great personal anthropology project, I reckon.

What's the privacy around the test? Will your DNA sequence end up in ChatGPT responses and vaccines? Razz

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:32 pm

David wrote:
Well, the results are in and there are no real surprises, except that it turns out I’m a fair bit more Irish than I thought!

Irish 38%
Scottish 28%
Welsh 14%
English / northwestern European 8%
Germanic 4%
Balkan 4%
Greek/Albanian 2%
Cypriot 1%
Aegean 1%

The test seems to be pretty accurate – I already knew I was 1/16th German and 1/8th "Greek"; it just turns out the Greek side is a mix of maybe Greek and Macedonian or some such. Otherwise, I could be wrong but I think my ancestors from Cornwall have been lumped in with "Welsh", as I’m not aware of any specific Welsh background in my family.

Interesting. I used Ancestry .com. My results are:

Ireland 34%
Scotland 30%
England and Northwestern Europe 26% (that includes England, Belgium, France, Germany, Isle of man, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland and Wales)
Sweden & Denmark 6%
Norway 4%

The Sweden & Denmark comes from mum's side, she has 20%.

It's pretty accurate, my 1st cousin (related on Dad's side) did the same test and we were flagged as 1st cousins in the links section straight away.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:51 pm

I have an Aunty we never knew of until recently who reached out my to my Uncle. So my dad and my uncle had a half-sister they never knew for 70 years. seems my grandfather got busy in Australia off the boat before he married.

Dad passed years ago, but my uncle showed photos and she looks my dad so much. my uncle is the last one alive in my dads family, its a bit sad she never got to meet her father or other brother (dad)
Haven't met her yet, I would get a bit emotional I reckon

All this would never have been possible without the ancestry database
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:32 am

stui magpie wrote:

Interesting. I used Ancestry .com. My results are:

Ireland 34%
Scotland 30%
England and Northwestern Europe 26% (that includes England, Belgium, France, Germany, Isle of man, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland and Wales)
Sweden & Denmark 6%
Norway 4%

That's about the ancestry you'd guess for a white fella Down Under. The diversity of white ancestry is greatly underrated, as implied above in my post above on the waves of UK immgiration. More needs to be made of that diverse history so people can better grasp that 'white' is not narrowly 'racial'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: