Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

DNA tests and family connections

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:14 am
Post subject: DNA tests and family connectionsReply with quote

<split from "The Voice vote" thread. Thanks, BBMods.>

stui magpie wrote:
There is a legitimate number of people discovering Indigenous ancestry by researching their family tree. A grandmother or grandfather who was part of the stolen generation, raised white and never spoke of it.

There's also a number who just choose to identify as Indigenous because it's trendy and they can.
Many have discovered their ancestry by sending off their DNA. It was conjecture in my family for years. My eldest daughter sent her DNA away through 23 and Me and discovered a lot.
Now the ramifications of DNA testing are unexpected results. She discovered she has a Brother, yes I have a Son I never knew of.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Geez, I bet that was an interesting conversation Shocked

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:52 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Geez, I bet that was an interesting conversation Shocked
It sure is/was. I have communicated with the family. He is 40 years old which put me at 20 years of age at the time. I remembered his Mother and I never knew but she took the secret to her grave. She died of cancer when he was 6 years old and his Grand Parents became Parents again. It's a step at a time but he is talking to the Sister he never knew. We haven't communicated as yet as it's a shock to him as well. Had he not done the DNA test with the same company we may have never known.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:06 am

Culprit wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
There is a legitimate number of people discovering Indigenous ancestry by researching their family tree. A grandmother or grandfather who was part of the stolen generation, raised white and never spoke of it.

There's also a number who just choose to identify as Indigenous because it's trendy and they can.
Many have discovered their ancestry by sending off their DNA. It was conjecture in my family for years. My eldest daughter sent her DNA away through 23 and Me and discovered a lot.
Now the ramifications of DNA testing are unexpected results. She discovered she has a Brother, yes I have a Son I never knew of.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Omg. Mate. Whoa. Gees that must bite, missing his childhood. Hope it all goes well for you all.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:52 am

^^Mixed emotions. I'm angry but I am also sad. There's a lot of "what if" going on by all. I am sad that she never contacted me and after talking to her parents it seems she kept the pregnancy a secret for nearly 8 months. She lived with her parents who supported her and she would never discuss who the father was then she got ill and then it was low as a priority goes. He decided to do a DNA Test as he was pushed by his family. So on top of this, I have a daughter-in-law and 3 Grand Children. There's a shit load to take in.

Anyway back to the topic. If Dutton says the YES vote is bad, it's enough to convince me to vote YES.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:45 pm

Bloody hell. That is a lot to take in. Have you seen a photo of him? Does he look like you?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:58 pm

^^Let's say he looks a lot like his half Brother just older. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. I am heading overseas on Wednesday for a month. My eldest daughter has organised a coffee catch-up shortly. She tells me they will just do some meets and greets. My eldest daughter is really keen and excited.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:53 pm

Great stuff. As weird as it must be for you, think how he must be feeling. The Dad he never knew. Good luck with it all.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:38 am

Definitely, in a very short time, he has a lot to deal with.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Wow, that is big news Culprit. I'm amazed that these DNA tests are that good that they're able to link you up with previously unknown siblings/offspring so easily – can I ask how she was informed, and was mutual consent required before identities were divulged?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:09 pm

David wrote:
Wow, that is big news Culprit. I'm amazed that these DNA tests are that good that they're able to link you up with previously unknown siblings/offspring so easily – can I ask how she was informed, and was mutual consent required before identities were divulged?
With https://www.23andme.com/en-int/ You agree to it in terms but you have the option to "opt-out" Your DNA is matched and you can filter by birthplaces, connection status, and % matched. My daughter is 49.9% DNA match. The Son matched up at 24.9% to my Daughter's DNA. You can message just like most social media. You can choose to take that message or block it or as previously just "opt-out". He contacted my daughter which I didn't know of for about of month. At that time I was getting weird questions from my daughter and now it all makes sense. Once they both worked out that I had no idea they broke the news. If I look I have 3rd Cousin with a .90% DNA match. I have 1500 matches from various Countries down to.20%. From your DNA they can say you have x % of being bald and other things. I wasn't that into it but my daughter wanted to see if what I told her about my Mother's side was true. She confirmed what I always told her. Indigenous one side and Irish/Welsh the other. Now she's facinated that her ancestors fought on the Eureka Stockade as well.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:04 pm

It does sound pretty interesting, I must say! I've never done one of these tests, but would be fascinated to see what it brings up (particularly regarding my father's Greek side of the family).
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:08 pm

David wrote:
It does sound pretty interesting, I must say! I've never done one of these tests, but would be fascinated to see what it brings up (particularly regarding my father's Greek side of the family).
Do it, I recommend that website 23 and me. Once you do it you can then send it out to the family to do it at a cheaper rate. Takes about 5 weeks.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:04 pm

I’m still overseas and my Son that I never knew of has messaged me and we’ve had a video chat. He was angry with me but now totally understands that I never knew. We are going to catch up when I get back and do a step at a time. He’s struggling emotionally but I can say his wife is really supportive. I did get from her, “OMG, you and his mannerisms are so alike”.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:25 pm

Been involved in a few of these situations in my social work career and my only advice is to be patient and calm with the inevitable nervousness and various emotions that will present themselves. It should be a happy experience for both parties. His wife sounds very supportive of the meeting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: