Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brody Grundy Dropped by Melbourne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Keen to hear the thoughts of one particular poster on the above....suspect we might get nothing but crickets

Will no doubt be cheering on Brisbane tomorrow night despite it not being in Collingwood's best interests.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
On 7 news it was reported that he would play some VFL and work on his forward craft.

Hilarious from Melbourne considering they have a bye this weekend.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:
On 7 news it was reported that he would play some VFL and work on his forward craft.

Aww crap that’s insulting! Not surprising though, I’ve actively watched him, and I feel no regret other than he really seems like a nice intelligent person.

I do feel he let other areas of life take priority over his footy.

I don’t recall seeing him ever get heated, like Witt’s. I love it when Cox does cos he tears em a new one!

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:52 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Keen to hear the thoughts of one particular poster on the above....suspect we might get nothing but crickets

Will no doubt be cheering on Brisbane tomorrow night despite it not being in Collingwood's best interests.

Please don’t temp him.
The stats man might persuade others he’s still an all Australian contender.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:11 pm

I apparently think Grundy is a better player than a lot of people on this board, and I'm still not sure getting rid of him was a good idea given how much we're still paying him, but I never had a clue what Melbourne were thinking with this one. They were probably the one club who I thought Grundy wouldn't be able to help, so of course they were the ones who wanted him the most.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:16 pm

hes more mobile than Gawn and his greatest strength at the pies was he was an extra midfielder.

as dunstall said on the couch this week, you just want a ruckman that will make a contest.. being a great tap ruckman can be easily defeated by a good opposition midfield that reads his taps instead.

grundy and his management knew that Melbourne was one of the worst clubs grundy could go to.... but they were the only ones willing to trade with the pies.

but its still a huge call to completely drop him from a football side without injury or an obvious media driven form slump
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:17 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Aww crap that’s insulting! Not surprising though, I’ve actively watched him, and I feel no regret other than he really seems like a nice intelligent person.
I do feel he let other areas of life take priority over his footy.

Yes I agree. I can’t remember whether it was his manager or him, but the love and temptation of mega money over the club was too much for him to resist. I loved him at Collingwood but I have always believed that if his heart and commitment was not at Collingwood, he should move on, and he did.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:55 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:

Yes I agree. I can’t remember whether it was his manager or him, but the love and temptation of mega money over the club was too much for him to resist. I loved him at Collingwood but I have always believed that if his heart and commitment was not at Collingwood, he should move on, and he did.

He did not move on. We moved him on.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:08 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
I apparently think Grundy is a better player than a lot of people on this board, and I'm still not sure getting rid of him was a good idea given how much we're still paying him, but I never had a clue what Melbourne were thinking with this one. They were probably the one club who I thought Grundy wouldn't be able to help, so of course they were the ones who wanted him the most.

Given we replaced him with 3 players who have taken us from a bottom 4 side with Grundy to top of the ladder, I'm pretty sure the club made the right choice.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:42 am

stui magpie wrote:

And there in is the issue
Melbourne thought hey we’ve lost Jackson who can go forward and kick goals we need another ruck who can do the same so we will move Gawn there and ruck Grundy
Fine in theroy doesn’t work in reality
A couple weeks ago I posted a damming stat in the other Grundy thread
Melbourne were +72 in centre clearances with Gawn as ruck and -44 with Grundy as ruck hitting to the same midfield
On season 2023 stats he’s ranked #9 ruck in competition and 143rd ranked player in the game
Look he’s a good player but he’s never been a tap ruckman and never been a good overhead mark so he won’t make it as a forward
Gawn is a very good tap ruckman and strong mark overhead but can’t kick for goal with any certainty
Melbourne brought in Van Rooyen a young true forward so the chances are he will get a extended run to build cohesion in the forward line

Grundy will now become the highest paid player to play VFL consistently
I don’t see how they bring him back unless it’s through injury or they just play him to see if they can find some value in him to trade him away at seasons end

The funny thing is go back to week 2 or 3 when I called this move by Melbourne a massive mistake watching them early in the season onky to be told by “wiser” poster when Grundy gets his knee right and now he has a elite midfield to hit too he will be AA ruck again
You could see early on a complete disconnection between Grundy and the mids
I remember watching a game early on and Clayton and Petracca being with a metre of space on opponent and the ball dropping down at Grundys feet
They both out their hands on their hips and just looked perplexed
Fast forward several minutes Gawn rucking he hits it straight down Olivers throat who bounces then kicks it forward for a Melbourne forward who goals
It was pure tap ruckman to elite mid work
How the mighty have fallen
uncanny 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:18 am

[quote="scoobydoo"][quote="Magpietothemax"]
jonmac1954 wrote:
So easy to be wise after the events.

Simon Goodwin said Grundy is now at a club that appreciates him.
Pretty sure the Collingwood coaches he played under never dropped him.
No one said he was a hack, just not worth $1 million a yr.

Spot on Scooby doo. He was never dropped at Collingwood and was appreciated by the club. Money talks so if they didn't appreciate him why would he have been offered that monster deal? He did cop stick from supporters but most of the criticism levelled at him came at the end of his time there coinciding with his big contract renewal and drop in form from the heights of 2018/19.
I thought it a pretty cheap shot from Goodwin at the time tbh. One that has come back to bite him hard at the moment...

rad 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:49 am

So how would it work?

Port need a ruckman and Grundy is from SA.

If Grundy was traded to Port for more than what the Dees are paying him does that extra come off the money we are paying the Dees?

Could end up a 3 club salary, all paying $300k each lol
Croat Pie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:06 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that with the deal reached between the Pies and the Dees that he's off our books at this season's end.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:42 pm

Interesting to read the Pies didn't like his attitude during rehab. Obviously just journo speculation I s'pose.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:38 pm

rad wrote:
So how would it work?

Port need a ruckman and Grundy is from SA.

If Grundy was traded to Port for more than what the Dees are paying him does that extra come off the money we are paying the Dees?

Could end up a 3 club salary, all paying $300k each lol

Grundy is off our books come November 1
We paid Melbourne $750k which represented $150k a year for the remaining 5 years in his deal
He was owed just over $900k a season so Melbourne will have him on there books at basically $150k this season and still owe him $3.6m over next 4 years
They may have juggled that across the years but that’s what he is guaranteed

Right now any club wanting Grundy will have the upper hand
He’s value has declined dramatically since he signed the original deal

Melbourne be might be happy to wear $300k a season just to get him off there books
They won’t be receiving any substantial draft picks from the deal
When a club takes on a large salary like that you don’t get rewarded
We took what pick 26 ?
Melbourne might get a 3rd round pick and maybe some pick swaps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: