Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Will Adams or Johnson come under pressure?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:05 am
Post subject: Will Adams or Johnson come under pressure?Reply with quote

With the form of degoey pendles mitchel daicos increasing in time through middle, crisp and j daicos even Elliott

As we get lipinski Mcstay and frampton back you have to think which players will come under pressure…

Adams disposal is probably one of the worst in the team…and I’m sure will come under pressure

Hill mcreery and ginnavin for their pace seem essential

I’m still not sold on Johnson and Mcstay lead up could be more valuable
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, if we ever get a full team, [big word being IF, and it probably will never happen anyway], there would need to be some good players miss out.

Who plays on a given day may depend on who we are playing.

For mine, the only definite starters in any match are

Maynard, Moore, Quaynor, Josh, Nick, Pendles, Mihochek, Hill, De Goey,Noble,Crisp

and go from there - do you want 2 ruckme today?, do we need more talls down back? how many small forwards needed today? etc

as far as Adams goes, i guess Mitchell is stealing some of his thunder
as far as Johnson goes, he does things no one else in the team can do, but yes, it would be nice if he got more of the ball sometimes
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:50 am

I’d add Murphy, Cox, sidey, Cameron to the first picked list as well.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:46 pm

I cant imagine us going into a do or die final without Taylor Adams but I know the question you are asking. Heart and soul, but other players are likely to go past him and Mitchell is better at that role than he is.

This might be heresy also, but I wonder where we fit Howe when the time is right? Perhaps for Markov (although they're not really the same player). I don't think we wouldn't pick him, but Frampton showed glimpses of being the Roughy replacement we were looking for and you're not going to drop Noble, Quaynor, Maynard or Moore. I don't think you could drop Murph either.

I suppose you want your younger players to be going past the old dogs, but I do think when the whips are cracking (hopefully) in September, the 200 gamers will get picked first. Experience will count for something in those games.

jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:03 pm

Rotate the veterans in the last 4 or 5 games individually to freshen them up for finals duty and blood any remaining young replacements to give them a taste and assess their capabilities in the big league.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:52 pm

Supporters need to be more objective on Adams from soley looking at his kicking as the only attribute he brings to the side. It's a pretty tired and basic assessment of what he ultimately brings to this side.
Sure he misses a target or two, but he's not the only one to do that.
While his effective dispoals are average at 11.50, he's still ahead of IQ, Oleg and WHE.

When the pressure index is going through the roof, who do you think leads this charge?
He regulalry leads our tackle count through a game.
He's an inside contested pressure animal and distributor.

What Adams brings each week is innate. Are we going to get that consistently from McInness, Macrae or Carmichael? That's something they need to develop.
Undoubtedly, Adams is one that you don't need to instruct, he'll give his all every game.

I'd happily give him more time rotating in the forward line, he's at his best at stoppages, reliable in front of goal and good for a goal + a game. The defensive pressure he brings is second to none.

Come finals time, he will be one of the first picked.

He's coming up to his 200 game milestone post the bye, I'll be looking forward to toasting that.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Mon May 29, 2023 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:03 pm

Does Ash Johnson swap in the forward line with Mason Cox?
Might explain why he does not have as much presence as we would like.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:03 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Supporters need to be more objective on Adams from soley looking at his kicking as the only attribute he brings to the side. It's a pretty tired assessment.
Sure he misses a target or two, but he's not the only one to do that.
While his effective dispoals are average at 11.50, he's still ahead of IQ, Oleg and WHE.

When the pressure index is going through the roof, who do you think leads this charge?
He regulalry leads our tackle count through a game.
He's an inside contested pressure animal and distributor.

What Adams brings each week is innate. Are we going to get that consistently from McInness, Macrae or Carmichael? That's something they need to develop.
Undoubtedly, Adams is one that you don't need to instruct, he'll give his all every game.

I'd happily give him more time rotating in the forward line, he's reliable in front of goal and good for a goal + a game when giev n more time in the forward half. The defensive pressure he brings is second to none.

Come finals time, he will be one of the first picked.

He's coming up to his 200 game milestone post the bye, I'll be looking forward to toasting that.

Spot on!
Adam's does often struggle with his disposal but has a happy knack of hitting the scoreboard from Inside 50 stoppages and its a great improvement to the teams center clearance work to have Mitchell and Adams rotating through the center square.
Adam's brings a hardness to the contest that helps others in the team walk taller.
Inexperienced teamates such as Fin Macrae, Josh Carmichael and Ed Allan need to improve their hardness at the ball to be in a position to take Adam's spot in case of injury or eventually on form. Good position to be in to have such depth and why it is so important to win this years premiership whilst we have such depth of skill and toughness.
Remember Adams was the player of the series during the 2018 finals campaign.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:36 pm

I love what Ash brings to the team, but coming into finals, the fact is Ash has not done well in the finals we played last year.

We cannot have a player go AWOL in September.

Its something to think about certainly...

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:43 pm

I 'm pretty sure Johnson only had 10 or so games (maybe less) under his belt when we entered the finals last year. Furthermore, he looked to me like he was carrying an injury.

This year, he looks much stronger and we are seeing the benefits. He is a very classy player, who has also added tackling and defensive pressure to his game. There's no way he will be dropped unless he suffers some serious drop off in form. I'd certainly pick him every week before McStay.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:54 pm

Let's cut to the chase here. Our fourth quarter effort against North Melbourne was piss poor. Cox bad fumbled the ball as did several others. AFL footy is either one touch on your part or you see the opposition sail the ball through their goals. Several players missed marks they should have taken while our defensive pressure up the field was so bad Nick Larkey was able to take marks he shouldn't have been able to take. In all this I can't remember Taylor Adams doing anything wrong. Why is he copping it? He's one of the first players picked in the team. His kicking has vastly improved since being moved forward of the centre. What he isn't is a long kick. He's there to get the ball to our forwards. Trouble is we judge players on past performance, not what they're achieving in the present.
MAY-Z 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:46 pm

What i love with Adams in the side. is when we get a forward stoppage, suddenly we have Mitchell, Adams, Crisp, Pendles, De Goey etc. at the contest, that wins a lot of stoppages and able to feed out to the daicos' sidey etc and create scoring opportunities.

so whilst he isnt as prolific as the prior few years he plays a super important part of the teams functionality
blakis 

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:34 pm

Don't get me wrong about Tay... I love his work ethic and his passion, he's a heart and soul player.

But with the form of the team lifting, his poor decision making is starting to stand out a lot more than it used to. There were several passages of play on the weekend where he didn't use the players around him and instead went by foot, turning it over to the opposition.

On Ash I don't see his spot being questioned... has a really special bag of tricks.... is a bit up and down like lots of young talls, but is starting to get more consistent
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:31 am

Both are fine.

Johnson is becoming a star and Adams is the heat and soul.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:47 am

blakis wrote:
But with the form of the team lifting, his poor decision making is starting to stand out a lot more than it used to. There were several passages of play on the weekend where he didn't use the players around him and instead went by foot, turning it over to the opposition.

What's your point? Are you calling for him to be dropped? Or just saying his game and turnovers are no longer up to the standard of this team?
Is it that bad where it'll cost us games or a final?
Does he not play a role in this side?
If so, who replaces what he brings?

Sure, he turns it over at times, but I still can't imagine us going into a finals campaign without him and his contest DNA.

I don't mind a statement or observation, just give us some balance / objectivity with it.
Every player will hit an inflection point where someone, or the game goes past them, I just don't see it with Adams at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: