Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Clarkson to take leave to 'focus on his wellbeing'

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
So the takeaway is that it's probably not true, and even if it was it probably wasn't that bad and anyway it was a long time ago (all of, like, ten years). Sorry TP, but that's a really poor comment on all fronts. But I'm not going after you specifically; I've seen stuff like this everywhere on social media.

For the record, no apologies have been given – not by the people who were accused of actually doing any of this, at any rate. I can understand defending Clarkson, Fagan and Burt's innocence, particularly now that the process has cleared them, but please don't give us this kind of wishy-washy apologism on the allegations themselves. If we think that what was reported wasn't all that bad – about a football club stepping into its employees' lives, leaning on them to break up relationships, end pregnancies and cut off contact with their families all for the sake of sporting success – then I'm afraid we've lost all ethical compass. And it makes it a lot easier to understand how systemic injustices like the Stolen Generations can occur and be shrugged off by so many people.

This is my line of thinking on this too David.

The manner in which three adult men in positions of absolute power at the club intruded into and manipulated the personal lives of very young, vulnerable players is totally alarming to me. It smacks of the misuse of power which is spread throughout so many different pathological relationships in society.

Even if the coaches are given the benefit of the doubt and their intention was solely to help the players involved with their personal issues or to ensure a positive solution for the good of the club, the arrogance shown, that it was their god-given right to manipulate personal outcomes for players, blows me away. As you say, this arrogance and inbalance of power explains a lot about injustice in all levels and aspects of society.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:25 pm

Agreed, PP – well said.

What'sinaname wrote:
I didn't interpret TP's comments like that at all.

IMO, What she is saying is that it's likely a revision of history.

If there was racism, it was likely much less than what we would see in general society at the time as clubs have moved more quickly on racism than the general public have.

Remind me what time period we’re talking about again?! The allegations related to the 2010s, not the 1950s or 1970s. Surely anyone trying to describe that as a "different time" with different values is having a lend.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:45 pm

What was acceptable 10 years ago isn't today.

Even just 10 years ago it would have been expected that all players, regardless of race, colour, etc would be required to adopt the same single minded focus of the club. One in, all in.

Today, clubs are expected to treat individuals differently - to take into account cultural differences.

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:13 am

Shaun Burgoynes lack of support to the indigenous player’s allegations is what has been underplayed. Maybe he also witnessed the lack of professionalism and commitment required for elite sport by the aggrieved players and agreed with how Clarko and co handled the situation.
As for clubs/employers crossing into private lives, that has been going on for years and is actually getting worse with employers reprimanding or sacking people because of social media comments or posts outside of work hours.
Michael Long expressed concern for Cyril and the direction in which he was going in a few years ago. Is this overstepping the line??
My observation is that Clarko, Fagan and Burt approached the situation with the best of intentions for the players and club as a professional sporting organisation. If they get found to have crossed the line into private lives, then that will set a serious precedent moving forward with all unprofessional and misbehaving players.
Maybe Dane Swan can revise the pressure Collingwood put on him to move away from his mates….I mean, how dare they!!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm

It's why I've always thought the AFLPA (and employment law more broadly) needed to take a much firmer line on this stuff. Given what some are saying, it seems there's a pretty slippery slope between "having an interest in a player's welfare" --> "helping" them with their living arrangements --> interfering in their relationships and family planning and telling them who they can or cannot be in contact with.

Clarkson, Fagan and Burt may well have believed that they were acting in the players' personal best interests. But their job was also to get the most out of them as footballers and ensure maximum on-field success for the club – which is, not trivially, also something that personally and financially benefits them – and that's an inherent and substantial conflict of interest. Even if they were qualified to be staging interventions (and they're unequivocally not; they're football coaches, not social workers), this alone would be reason enough for them to need to take a step back.

The fact that the players are Indigenous has been the headline of the story and race has been the main angle here – not unjustifiably, all things considered – but what was alleged to have been done would have been utterly appalling regardless of whether the players were black or white. So someone somewhere needs to draw a line in the sand and say that this is completely unacceptable.

Hopefully, if nothing else, what Clarkson et al have gone through in the past eight months will make future coaches and staffers a little more gun-shy. If so, all the better. It's not a fraction of what these players seem to have suffered, but it's something.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:15 pm

David wrote:
It's why I've always thought the AFLPA (and employment law more broadly) needed to take a much firmer line on this stuff. Given what some are saying, it seems there's a pretty slippery slope between "having an interest in a player's welfare" --> "helping" them with their living arrangements --> interfering in their relationships and family planning and telling them who they can or cannot be in contact with.

Clarkson, Fagan and Burt may well have believed that they were acting in the players' personal best interests. But their job was also to get the most out of them as footballers and ensure maximum on-field success for the club – which is, not trivially, also something that personally and financially benefits them – and that's an inherent and substantial conflict of interest. Even if they were qualified to be staging interventions (and they're unequivocally not; they're football coaches, not social workers), this alone would be reason enough for them to need to take a step back.

The fact that the players are Indigenous has been the headline of the story and race has been the main angle here – not unjustifiably, all things considered – but what was alleged to have been done would have been utterly appalling regardless of whether the players were black or white. So someone somewhere needs to draw a line in the sand and say that this is completely unacceptable.

Hopefully, if nothing else, what Clarkson et al have gone through in the past eight months will make future coaches and staffers a little more gun-shy. If so, all the better. It's not a fraction of what these players seem to have suffered, but it's something.

IMHO, this is an excellent post. You make many valid points I reckon!

One really pertinent point you make in that it needs to be made much clearer to both coaches and players where the jurisdiction of the club starts and ends with regard to the personal lives of players. The AFLPA would be the logical organization to commence nutting out guidelines in this respect.

The open letter just released by six of the complainants in the matter demonstrates clearly how intrusive and belittling the interventions were:

"We were treated as special projects and control of our lives was taken from us".

The full letter is available to read on many news sites.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:18 pm

The players just wanted cash. One of them was allegedly a theif. This was always about money. Today you can make up anything to try and get a pyday. If what I have heard is true from some pretty reliable sources, the accusers should be charged, I just hope the accused take them, the AFL and Hawthorn to the cleaners. It's sad fact of the times we live in that people can make false accusations and get away with it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
What was acceptable 10 years ago isn't today.

Even just 10 years ago it would have been expected that all players, regardless of race, colour, etc would be required to adopt the same single minded focus of the club. One in, all in.

Today, clubs are expected to treat individuals differently - to take into account cultural differences.

Exactly what I meant

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:27 am

I've read the statement from the Indigenous families, pretty powerful stuff and very specifically worded.

My read of a few parts is that they acknowledge there may be a difference between what was said and what was heard, hence the truth telling session where they wanted to explain "what they heard" and to give the accused the opportunity to explain why they thought they were doing the right thing.

I agree with david's points above about coaches making interventions in players lives, but only to a point. Yes they may not be qualified social workers, but the club is making a big investment in new draftees and they have a short window to either make it or be delisted. It's a very different workplace to a normal one so sometimes they are going to intervene in a players "personal" life in an attempt to give them the best opportunity to succeed. A mutually beneficial outcome. That will often include telling a player who they should and shouldn't associate with.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:52 pm

"Hawks face massive financial settlement to Clarkson"

(Caro, The Age)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:41 am

Good. True to any degree or a fabrication, the info should not have been in the public domain until it was tested in a courtroom. Clarkson and co. Don’t deserve the innocent until proven guilty presumption?

The shit show that resulted from the fact finding missions at collingwood and hawthorn probably means other clubs won’t bother to try and better things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: