Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#21 Oscar Steene

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemamone@gmail.com 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The club should be grooming Begg for a key Position CHB/CHF not as a ruckman.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Oscar SteeneReply with quote

masoncox wrote:
First time I have seen the kid this year.
19 years old who was taken as a rookie he looks like he might be a keeper.
204 cm and a future ruck for us.
The boy has a great marking leap.
He can take a hanger.
Imagine him and Johnson in the forward line!!!
Long way to go but he maybe worth investing in him for the long run

On TV they said “ he has a great Spring, Steen” 😊

That was a top shelf pack mark and goal early in the game.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:54 pm

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:
The club should be grooming Begg for a key Position CHB/CHF not as a ruckman.

If we're able to keep them for a few years as they develop, they will be our 1-2 punch Ruck Forwards after Cox and Cameron.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:13 am
Post subject: Re: Oscar SteeneReply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
On TV they said “ he has a great Spring, Steen”

The Boss! A new nickname is born.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:09 am

I've earmarked the now #21 as one to watch over 2024. He's added some bulk and definition to his frame since arriving and looks to be tracking nicely as a viable ruck back-up.
In 2021 he did participate in what was to be consecutive draft combines, given the previous year as an 18 y/o he was unable to test due to injury. Point being he's still raw.
Ideally his aerobic fitness improves so he can run out games more effectively, which I thought at times this year was lacking and was found out in a handful of games. He seemed unable to move around the ground and get into position with greater consistency (an area where Darcy Cameron has improved, and peak Grundy was as good as there was). On his fitness, that is just my observation, not something I have read anywhere, but it might just as easily have been him not getting into position / reading the play. A bit like a developing forward being able to develop leading patterns.

The Club is still clearly on the hunt for a back-up ruck, with Brynn Teakle offered a train on role over the Summer. He plays primarily in the ruck however is also able to swing up forward and exert damage in front of goal.
With that, Steene will need a good season to remain on the list, but under the tutelage of Josh Fraser should prove a real boon to the likes of he and Begg's development.
From all reports, the lad has great character, so the next step is to start imposing himself on games in the VFL and against the competitions best emerging rucks to indicate to our list managers to persevere with him as a viable future 2nd ruck option.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:12 pm

Great analysis there LH.

Fwiw, I like the look of Steene, and now he's started to add a bit more muscle to his frame, I think he'll have a good season as our first ruck in the VFL. The club has no need to rush his development, and will be only too aware that young rucks often don't show much until they hit 23 or 24 yrs.

Along with Cox, Cameron, Frampton, Begg, and even McStay in an emergency, we should have enough ruck depth. Remember, there's also a chance that we draft the giant Alex Conden mid season.
Rex 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:15 pm

I seem to remember Fly making a cryptic comment about KPP plans and at the time I wondered if he had Begg (or Steene) in mind. At 197 Begg’s tall, but no giant, so if we keep Teakle maybe Begg can concentrate on being a tall forward. I like Steene and believe he’ll really come on this year, though he probably won’t be a viable option until 2025. With the SSPs it looks like we now have viable back-ups for every position!
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjiKPJ9-Is

Seems to be some mixed up jumpers running round preseason Day 1. McInnes in 18. Daicos in 3. Were there a few players in 40 Johnson and Sofrinidis? Demattia had 13 as Fly told us all on draft night.

Were there any other player jumper numbers to note?

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:19 am

How many pre our opening game hit outs are there for the young up and comers can show their stuff
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:23 am

The Black and White Lion wrote:
Were there any other player jumper numbers to note?

Refer list updates thread.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:42 am

Oscar Steene has been elevated to the Senior list. Well done young man.

Suggests his development has gone ahead of Begg who remains as a Rookie for the duration of his contract over 2024.
Track reports suggest he's filled out more and sporting an AFL ready frame. Watch this space over 2024.

Steene .jpg

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:23 am

Thanks Laurie. I tend to agree Steene shows a little more potential and upside than Begg. I admire Beggs second efforts but Steene shows more mobility and athleticism around the ball ( which adds to his versatility) Steene is taller, younger and has better hands than Begg but looks to still have lots to learn in rucking contests.
The club is constantly looking for players to show a rate of improvement that exceeds the resources invested in them and that’s where Steene seems to have gone past Begg. As a consequence, Steene has been promoted accordingly.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:19 pm

That is interesting news – I really thought he was one of the longer-term prospects. Suggests we should expect to see him in the seniors this year.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:08 pm

^^^^

I’m not a fan of young players getting picked for the seniors just to give them senior experience unless they really kick down the door. I feel that they should get better acquainted in the role the club wants them to play while playing in the seconds.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:42 pm

This is a great development.

The football department have clearly shown that hard work is both noted and rewarded in the promotion of Steene to the senior list.

He is a twenty year old, 201cm and 90kgs ruck/potential key position player so this is a win for the Magpies. He has actually come back in excellent shape and clearly has put in the hard yards in the gym.

I'm not sure that he will play senior football in 2024, but under the tutelage of Fraser who should continue to develop his ruck and forward c raft in the VFL.

I am still bullish about Begg as his second half of the season in the VFL was one of great merit.

Exciting times ahead for young Steene and any other young Magpie who works his butt off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: