Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The AGM

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:50 pm
Post subject: Members - change in eligibility to voteReply with quote

Quote:
Dear ...,

Thank you for your support this season. It has been a year of positive gains for all our Members and supporters, filled with so many memorable moments for all of us to share.

Our Members and supporters have played such a pivotal role in 2022 and I thank you, most sincerely for your support.

We don’t take that support for granted and we will continue to listen to your feedback as we progress and build our Club.

Some important feedback we received was around the restrictive definition of an ‘Ordinary Member’ of our Club which limited the number of Members eligible to vote to a small percentage of our supporters.

As a Board, we have listened to and agreed with broader Member feedback that the number of eligible voting Members under this definition is too restrictive, and that change should be made in order to better help shape the future of the Collingwood Football Club.

It is important to note that the Club's Memorandum and Articles of Association empowers the Board to create, determine, vary and replace the classes of Membership from time to time. This flexibility has enabled the Board to make an appropriate determination with the aim of providing more Members with a chance to have a say on the future direction of our Club.

As a result, the following changes have been made, with the new definition of an Ordinary Member enabling the number of eligible voting Members to meaningfully increase to ensure more Collingwood Members can vote at annual elections.

The changes now expand the number of eligible voting Members to include:

1. All Members who have purchased a Social Club Membership as an add-on to any Club, AFL Club Support or MCC Club Support Membership; and
2. All Members over the age of 18 with access to all home games (AFL or AFLW or Netball).

While we have ongoing work to do as a Club to keep getting better, granting all adult Members who have access to all home games for AFL or AFLW or Netball with the ability to vote is a step forward and a significant one for our Club as it ensures a greater cross-section of the Collingwood community can have a say.

On behalf of the Board, I thank you again for your loyalty and for the magnificent support you have shown and continue to show the Collingwood Football Club.

Yours Sincerely,

Jeff Browne

President
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on!!!!!!!

So anyone can puchase a $39 AFLW Access membership and get to vote!?!?!?!?

Thats one hell of a change without consulting members.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:00 pm

Long over due. More democracy is a good thing.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:17 pm

Well done Jeff and the Board.

That is a fantastic change.

I mentioned during the vote how disappointing it was to be an interstate Collingwood and Social Club member of 20 years and not be eligible to vote.

Glad this has happened.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:19 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:

I noted that they weren't brave enough to take it to an AGM for current voting members to consider.

And of course, given its effective immediately, the recently enfranchised are hardly likely to vote against it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:28 pm

Good thing. Restricting voting rights to Social Club members was an elitist anachronism for what was supposed to be a working class club.

Progressive move, well done.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:35 pm

I think there is good reason to assume that this move is of interest at least partly because the voting group will now be more amorphous and harder to organize as an opposition block - you will, no doubt, recall that the Board was, at best, lukewarm about democracy when it reared it's ugly head and tried to bite back, last time. Unless this is supported by, eg, very much more generous rules about availability of member records in a usable form and less-restrictive rules about calling for special meetings, it is more likely to become part of the problem than part of the solution.

Be wary - as the Trojans would still be saying, if they weren't all dead - of Greeks bearing gifts.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:51 pm

Still waiting for some confirmation from the club. I've got MCC add on but haven't received anything from the club but a category of membership I have no interest in (4-game flexi membership). Also you can't find anything on the Collingwood membership website that guarantees voting rights except for Legends membership. If the Collingwood Football Club is interested in democracy they need to avoid last year's sham elections where only 14,000 members out of an 80,000 membership base were entitled to vote.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:06 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
Hold on!!!!!!!

So anyone can puchase a $39 AFLW Access membership and get to vote!?!?!?!?

I don't agree with that either. There needs to be a minimum level of membership that gives the holder voting rights. Flexi-tickets or side memberships of the netball or AFLW divisions doesn't cut it with me. There used to be a separate social club membership that you could purchase that gave you voting rights. Then they changed it to only Legends members who could vote. This cut out both AFL and MCC members from voting as AFL/MCC members who already pay about $800 a year are not going to fork out another $800 a year just so they can have voting rights.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:08 pm

Consultation with members would have been good.

I was only supportive of this extending up to 11+game members or 10+ consecutive years members.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:45 pm

I first joined as a social club member in 1982.

We had a small gathering for new social club members, Bon Rose came up to me, shook my hand, and welcomed me to the club.

We were a loyal bunch... no internet warriors

We didn't have huge crowds for home games.. 28,000 was a sellout. Packed. Kids stood on beer cans.

Pies fresh out of the warmer were cold.. but great.

Although I was a social club member, in sellout games, even as an adult, 178cm. I'd on occasion have to peer through some tall bastards armpit to watch the game.

I can't remember recall how many social club members we had... maybe 15000 ?

I remember a box near the bar, reserved for 50 year members.. wow I thought.

For the quick, there were seats across the bar to watch the game through the window.

Having a beer after the game with the odd player was normal. Having a game of snooker with them during weekdays was normal.

I donated to the renovation of the players areas. A wall tile there may still have my name. I supported the move from Vic Park.

So now some people are concerned that some people with a years' worth of home games can direct its future.

Welcome to the future, 'general election people'. Accept them.

You were always in good hands. But this works too.

IT WAS NEVER ELITISM... We are a much bigger club now.

I welcome them.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:46 am

Given our club has long been neurotic and in-bred, and has greatly underachieved in no small part because of this, I see this as a very positive change. A limited view of whose opinions matter most only heightens inherited cultural battiness and self-entitlement, and increases conformity.

At a time that someone like McRae has brought new thinking to the club, I can see why the leadership would be wanting to encourage cultural shift. Remember, it's not a negation of membership, just a broadening of decision making.

(And if you think the club is a raging success that needs more of the same, well...).

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 am

There will be percentage of members who have AFLW or Netball membership (or both like me) who are also AFLM members.

Based on the number of eligible members who voted at the last election, you only get those who are really interested bothering to to participate in the voting process. Now, most likely you will get a similar percentage voting but from a larger pool.

barrackers 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:37 am

This group criticised Neil Wilson’s eligibility to sit on the board because he held MCC with club support. Now the same group has made this category eligible to vote and therefore I assume sit on the board.

My biggest issue though is that this board change was supposed to add transparency to club decisions, transparency that was already starting to occur under Korda. If this decision is anything to go by we’ve gone backwards on that front.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:38 am

Jezza wrote:
Consultation with members would have been good.

I was only supportive of this extending up to 11+game members or 10+ consecutive years members.

I agree

And I hope the vote process takes a bit of effort, because it will stop some of the ones who don’t really care

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: