Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2022 AFL Draft (COMPLETED)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosspies 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling from Trade and Draft so far are we seem to have invested heavily in small forwards, we now have Elliot,McReery,Ginnivan, Hill, Richards, WHE fighting for 3 spots in the forward line. It feels personally a bit over the top as I dont see them being all that much help in the midfield excluding Elliot who is a lock in the team already.

I understand our trade with Carlton to get a second rounder for next years draft as it is meant to be a deep draft. I like the thought of Ed Allan but feel he does come with some risk to injury and the go home factor. It does seem weird the tallest player we recruited is a midfielder.

The amount of pressure that McStay will be under will be too much for him. I believe he will have a first year similar to Mayne when he joined us. He will then have to re-invent himself as a defender in 2024. Big coin and a long term investment for a player learning a new craft.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 pm

^^

Disagree with most of that.

We’ll pick up a ruckman between now and then start of the season… which is where ruckman should be picked up, not in the draft.

Small forwards is basically a large chunk of our game plan. Pressure pressure pressure turnover. Therefore, it makes sense to have plenty of cover in a position so vital to the game plan.

We have plenty of midfield depth already and adding Mitchell only helps that.

Pick up a recycled Ruckman, and move into what looks to be a very promising 2023.

And I suspect a big free agent forward is coming our way in 2024.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:18 pm

I guess I'm a 'glass half full' kind of supporter.

Allan looks to me to be a potential 'Bontempelli' type midfielder, given his skill, speed and aerobic capacity. Given Pendles only has a year or two to go, Ed might step into the midfield in a couple of years.

Jacob Ryan looks to have some spunk and oodles of confidence, which you need as a small forward. With Billy Elliott getting on we need to start planning for the future and this kid might fill the breach. Time will tell.

As for Joe Richards, I'm buoyed by the raps he apparently got from Ben Reid, and being 23 he should be ready to step straight in if needed. I expect him to mainly play in the ressies, but if a couple of defenders go down injured, he looks cherrie ripe to step up and play a role.

I'm also glad we boosted our 2023 picks. Hopefully we go after a genuine FF or CHF next year.

Overall, I'd rate this year's draft outcome 7.5/10.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:54 pm

Trading pick 30 for Carlton’s future second will help us in next year’s draft/trade period.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:13 pm

Hine has said they're looking a Richards to play half back, using his speed, and release Nick to play more midfield.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Yes, I think Richards will start back and push into the midfield when he adjusts to the game. Hes a goal kicking Mid
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:41 pm

I think we traded and drafted to suit what style the coach wants to play and with a eye to the future
Sidey Howe and Cox will all likely be gone end of 2023 so we need to be planning for life after them
Let’s be honest we could have easily missed finals last year with so many close wins. A few bits of luck going the other way and we lose 4 or 5 of those
We are far from a finished product and have some needs to fill
Whether our trading and draft deals fill those needs time will tell but IMO we made some positive moves

Trades weren’t surprising really we went after some versitile tall timber, speed and a big body in the midfield to work with Adams and usher in the next wave
Many have bemoaned losing Grundy I’m the other way I think it’s a blessing in disguise. The freed up cash for 2024 might land us a key piece to the puzzle if reports are true
Secondly Grundy of 2021/22 isn’t the same player of 20181/19
Anyways enough about him he’s Melbourne’s problem now

Drafting is always a chance to be hit or miss unless your right at the pointy end and even then there’s no guarantee
We had 2 top 10 draft picks in Scharenberg and Freeman (6&10) and basically we got nothing out of them
Scharenberg particularly hurt. He was touted as a junior star and a generational talent. Even the limited sample size we saw with damaged legs he looked classy. But alas it didn’t work his body failed
Conversely you can find a gem lower down like a swan at 58
There are so many factors converting being drafted into being a good or very good player
Let’s hope the 3 guys we drafted all have good afl careers
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:09 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Let’s hope the 3 guys we drafted all have good afl careers

I happen to know that Danny Roach would have been an inspired selection that would have benefited us in spades had injuries not cruelled him 😔 Same with Sean Rustling and Leigh Walker,and years ago, Mark Orval 🙁

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28   

Jump to: