Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2022 AFL Draft (COMPLETED)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem was, that both Lemmey and Scully went backwards this year. In fact backwards enough that no club was interested in either of them until the forties onwards. People can criticise the club all they like about not going with a player who is 200cm tall but that criticism needs to be aimed at 17 other clubs too. Either that or perhaps those 17 clubs got it right in the first place. There’s a long list of 200cm first round picks who don’t make it. I’d suggest there’s even more failures from the third round. Let’s just be patient and see how these players careers unfold before we all make uneducated judgements from a distance.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:00 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
The problem was, that both Lemmey and Scully went backwards this year. In fact backwards enough that no club was interested in either of them until the forties onwards. People can criticise the club all they like about not going with a player who is 200cm tall but that criticism needs to be aimed at 17 other clubs too. Either that or perhaps those 17 clubs got it right in the first place. There’s a long list of 200cm first round picks who don’t make it. I’d suggest there’s even more failures from the third round. Let’s just be patient and see how these players careers unfold before we all make uneducated judgements from a distance.

Look we had the opportunity to trade for Peter Wright, a Collingwood supporting tragic growing up. Essendon got him for a pick in the 70s was it?

We were too busy dealing with the salary cap issues and getting rid of Treloar, Atu, Phillips and Stevo.

Add him to our Forward line right now and we woudlnt be talking about drafting a KPF.

rosspies 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 pm

That just concludes a very underwhelming trade and draft period. I would give us a grading of c- overall.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:00 pm

Hine's Day 2 Press Conference

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1253197/afl-draft-hine-reflects-on-night-two-of-draft?videoId=1253197&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1669720364001&tagNames=news&tagNames=news

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:27 pm

rosspies wrote:
That just concludes a very underwhelming trade and draft period. I would give us a grading of c- overall.

Fair enough but I think it’s far too early to accurately predict how they will perform. I can say that we did really well but that would be the same speculative comment as you saying that it was a very underwhelming trade and draft period. I have a bit more faith in the club’s recruiting team than you, to get the best available players according to their assessments.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:35 am

A couple of observations from the recently concluded draft:

* We have picked up some very fine young talent (including Richards who has played senior footy in a very strong country competition)

* We have got back into the second round of the 2023 Draft which is meant to be strong and deep.

* Richards, Allan and Ryan give us a serious boost in leg speed- this is essential and increasingly important in the modern game.

* We have a pick in either the supplemental draft or the mid-season draft- I have confidence in our recruiters to get that pick right.

* I would suggest that the Magpies are finally in the sweet-spot to go hard for a free agent at the end of next year- I assume that we will be targeting a key defender or forward.

* Philosophically, I think last night demonstrated one of the great 'Hafey-esque' qualities of Craig McRae; he is clearly backing-in the current squad to continue their improvement in 2023.

I speak of Reef McInnes, Finlay MacRae, Arlo Draper, Charlie Dean, Tom Wilson, Nathan Kreuger, McReery, Begg, Johnson and Carmichael.

Don't forget that aside from those drafted last evening, we have Bobby Hill, Frampton, Tom Mitchell, Dan McStay as new recruits.

The Lad remains very bullish about 2023- I have faith in the Club to get it right and continue last year's upward trend; I manage a wry smile every time the pundits look to 2023 and fail to include the Magpies in their Top 8 predictions..

Floreat Pica.

Alex 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:10 am

Love the Allan pick, dislike the Ryan pick, and have no feelings on Richards.

I don’t think Ryan was a player that was needed. We have Howe for the next 1-2 years, and then Murphy after that, who was named in the 22 under 22 team. Imo a Key Forward would have been more important.

Overall, I thought our trade period was hit or miss, with us getting Titch for a steal, Hill being a positive trade, and McStay at least filling a need, being all positives, whilst we overpayed for a guy who was getting delisted, and didn’t get enough back for Grundy and Henry.

Although it’s a lot harder to tell, I believe this draft could be similar. Ed Allen seems a steal, but Ryan was not the guy we needed, and I don’t know enough about Richards yet to make an opinion of him.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:01 am

Funny I see things a bit different to the above. Ryan is a real quarter back type who is an ideal replacement for Howe when Howe retires. I prefer his pick to the Ed Allan pick. Ed Allan is high risk to me. He could be anything or he could be a bust. That’s why the experts weren’t expecting him to go high. What I really like is his pedigree. Being a big boy who’s still growing you never know how it’s going to turn out for him, but then the national draft is a bit of a lottery. 18-19 years olds is too young an age to recruit players, especially the key position players who are still growing into their bodies.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:08 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Funny I see things a bit different to the above. Ryan is a real quarter back type who is an ideal replacement for Howe when Howe retires. I prefer his pick to the Ed Allan pick. Ed Allan is high risk to me. He could be anything or he could be a bust. That’s why the experts weren’t expecting him to go high. What I really like is his pedigree. Being a big boy who’s still growing you never know how it’s going to turn out for him, but then the national draft is a bit of a lottery. 18-19 years olds is too young an age to recruit players, especially the key position players who are still growing into their bodies.

Let's hope he grows another 2 or 3 cms and turns into the tall forward we need. He could be a real Jeremy Cameron type if that's the case. Has the speed and is a very good mark. In any case, could be a defender or big mid. The options are many.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:14 am

jatsad wrote:

Let's hope he grows another 2 or 3 cms and turns into the tall forward we need. He could be a real Jeremy Cameron type if that's the case. Has the speed and is a very good mark. In any case, could be a defender or big mid. The options are many.

I actually thought the same thing as you. Cadman is about the same size as Allan and both started as mids. To be a good forward you need to be a good mark, be good on both sides of the body, be a good kick and importantly have good closing speed. Ed Allan seems to have all that. Maybe he makes it as a forward and solves our key position problems.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:25 am

Twomey had Ed Allan at #13.

I find the "he's no good", "he's gonna be a ripper", "shoulda picked x, y, z" a bit much. How many hours have we all spent collectively watching young talent across the country? I'm happy for them - life changing moment and I hope they get a fair run at it.

I accept the commentary about not picking a ruck or key forward/defender - on paper at least it looks like we will need to fill those roles with our trades and/or continue to develop the guys we already have on the list (and there are a few of those we haven't seen yet like Dean and Kreuger).

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:26 am

Well we didnt get Hayes. He was one I was really keen on. Essendon snagged him after no bids for Alwyn jr came. Had a bid come, and Essendon were forced to used their selection, I think he may have fallen to our next pick and we could have had him and then Ryan with pick 30. That would have been a great outcome. He also mentioned he was a Pies supporter.

Hotton and Hurstwaite ended up at St Kilda and Hawthorn. Feel like the club were not keen on either. I remember Trent Hotton left the club after behavioral issues.

Keeler was passed up by so many clubs, including Adelaide who had first dibs on him. Something isn't right there. I thought it was interesting that he went the pick right after Adelaides selection too. He also ended up with St Kilda.

Mankara wasn't taken and will end up on Essendons rookie list. I dont think another club can get him now.

We obviously ended up with Joe Richards, which has come with mixed opinions. I was happy to take him with a pick in the late 40s.

Sadly Jhye Clarsk got to Geelong. However, I recall someone saying he was a Pies supporter. See you in two years Jhye? Razz

Ed Allan was someone I was keen to see where he landed and was really happy it was with us. I thought he'd be long gone by our first pick. That and no bid on Alwyn jr cost us Hayes. But im wrapped to get Allan.

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:21 am

Good to know we picked up a future 2nd round pick, could end up being a handy player going by the anticipated depth of next years draft pool.
Swanny2011 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:56 am

For those complaining about not picking up a Ruckman.
You don't bother picking one in the national draft unless he is exceptional and can play multiple positions (ie Tim English). As it takes them 5-6 years to develop.

Anyway we have Cameron, Cox, Begg and backups in Krueger and Mcstay so it isn't as if we are in desperate need for one.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:57 am

^^^
We gave up 28 (which became 30).
Will they reconcile that position in the second round next year?

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28   

Jump to: