Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ross Lyon at the Saints - speculation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street is, Ross Lyon will be the Saints Coach, back with his boring as batshit gameplan, and Max King wants out, if that transpires.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:33 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Word on the street is, Ross Lyon will be the Saints Coach, back with his boring as batshit gameplan, and Max King wants out, if that transpires.

To us I hope.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:19 pm

St Kilda would be nuts to bring Lyon back.

They'd be better off going for Robert Harvey with Lenny Hayes as senior assistant. Their supporter base would explode.

But no, go for the guy who has zero connection to his players. He had his time.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:30 pm

Pure marketing. Lyon got them to Grand Finals, they've done far call since he left. The prodigal messiah returns.

They can't afford to do Harvey, untried coach who learned off Bucks. Supporters would storm the club when they start off like sh1t.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:05 am

Not that I particularly care, but I do find it staggering that Lyon is rated as highly as he is.

He hasn't been relevant since 2015, but somehow his coaching reputation is still through the roof despite being out of the game for three years now.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:08 am

stui magpie wrote:
Pure marketing. Lyon got them to Grand Finals, they've done far call since he left. The prodigal messiah returns.

They can't afford to do Harvey, untried coach who learned off Bucks. Supporters would storm the club when they start off like sh1t.

This sounds like a win/win for us!

By all that's holy; I hope they implode. Again.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:32 am

Jezza wrote:
Not that I particularly care, but I do find it staggering that Lyon is rated as highly as he is.

He hasn't been relevant since 2015, but somehow his coaching reputation is still through the roof despite being out of the game for three years now.

I just don’t get how Nathan Buckley’s coaching record is trashed by Collingwood supporters, yet Ross Lyon, who never achieved more than Nathan Buckley did as a coach, gets accolades as a coach from the St Kilda supporters. Also Nathan resigned gracefully as Collingwood coach when told his time was up and has never had a bad word to say about the Collingwood Football Club, whereas Ross jumped to Fremantle for more money when he still had 12 months on his contract with St Kilda.
Magpie Russ Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:39 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Not that I particularly care, but I do find it staggering that Lyon is rated as highly as he is. He hasn't been relevant since 2015, but somehow his coaching reputation is still through the roof despite being out of the game for three years now.

I just don’t get how Nathan Buckley’s coaching record is trashed by Collingwood supporters, yet Ross Lyon, who never achieved more than Nathan Buckley did as a coach, gets accolades as a coach from the St Kilda supporters. Also Nathan resigned gracefully as Collingwood coach when told his time was up and has never had a bad word to say about the Collingwood Football Club, whereas Ross jumped to Fremantle for more money when he still had 12 months on his contract with St Kilda.

Not all Collingwood supporters are critical of Buckley nor all St Kilda supporters love Lyon.

For a side with very little success getting them to two Grand Finals speaks to why some at St Kilda supporters may be fond/forgiving of him. The best winning % of any St Kilda coach and first to coach them to four consecutive final series. Fremantle made their first Grand Final under Lyon, that was an achievement.

He achieved more than Buckley however over a 13 year period. Buckley was coach for 10 years.

Geoff Walsh and Ross Lyon would be a strong combination for St Kilda.

Having said all that I would prefer Ratten at St Kilda; Rutten at Essendon; Teague at Carlton...
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:38 pm

Jezza wrote:

Which coach in the last 25 years has got 2 different clubs/teams into a Grand Final & been a toe poke & ball bouncing wrong way from being a 2 time premiership coach? If there is, is he a hack?
I love Bucks but Lyon is a step above.

Almost forgot, Freo kick straight & he’s a 3 time premiership coach.
As far as leaving the aints, they low balled him & hired Scotty waters😂😂😂.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Jezza wrote:

I have some sympathy for Lyon and his move to Freo. It is not widely know that he suffered some large financial losses in the Global Financial Crisis and the contract with Freo was obviously a lot bigger than what the saints were offering. He had a wife and three young kids to consider. They come first.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:32 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Jezza wrote:

I have some sympathy for Lyon and his move to Freo. It is not widely know that he suffered some large financial losses in the Global Financial Crisis and the contract with Freo was obviously a lot bigger than what the saints were offering. He had a wife and three young kids to consider. They come first.

It's also been disclosed by him that, at the time, the one year contract with the Saints was trigger related and they were stuffing him around, not actually putting the offer on the table, he got frustrated and negotiated a deal with Freo without his managers involvement and by the time st Kilda actually put the contract on the table he had agreed to terms with Freo.

I listened to him talking about it on MMM prematch yack one Sunday, very detailed. He wanted to stay but they £$%$ed him around so much by the time they came good he was mentally departed and verbally signed elsewhere. I think it's been written up in the Herald Sun as well.

Edit, it has https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-2022-ross-lyon-lifts-lid-on-why-he-joined-fremantle-in-a-bombshell-2011-move/news-story/2f22948b40123accd20132fc4382d48a

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:05 pm

Jed Anderson.

Is there any word on the street as to where he might be playing next year? It's gotta be an AFL team surely?

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:44 am

Saints will improve under Lyon I think. They need a crunt.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:25 am

Big T wrote:

There's never been a shortage of crunts at the Saints.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Big T wrote:

There's never been a shortage of crunts at the Saints.

Jim O'Dea : Never Forget

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: