Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More young people could do with opportunities like this

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:11 am
Post subject: More young people could do with opportunities like thisReply with quote

I had an episode of We Are England playing in the background while working, and was taken by how serious and proud the ice-cream van fitters are in the episode below, and how much time and consideration the owner puts into his workers.

Now, contrast that attitude to, say, workers dumped at Starbucks with minimal training. Those simple service jobs are fine for a part-time school gig, but even unlike my first part-time school job, there are virtually no managers and role models, and no one taking pride in their work and in training others. Rather, so many jobs involve the barest minimum of guidance and pride, with workers left alone to provide dodgy service.

I know they're different jobs, and if you watch the episode below the ice-cream van fitting process is more skilled, but people need an opportunity to take pride in their work along similar lines (see the Japanese philosophy of taking pride in one's vocation).

Well worth a look with the above in mind. The folks involved are almost too serious, but I guess that's just how they responded to the cameras:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6AvQ668ErI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: