Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should athletes have a say in corporate sponsorship?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A happy ending for all: Netball Australia recoups the same amount of funding it lost with a new $15m sponsorship deal, and Gina gets to take her money to the dwindling number of places where it's wanted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/netball-australia-sponsorship-deal-visit-victoria-hancock/101596136

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:15 pm

Great result Rolling Eyes taxpayer funded sponsorship.

Ginas money is still very welcome in the Olympic sports she sponsors.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:56 pm

What a waste of money.

Fits the bill of Andrews though. The man loves spending other people's money.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:07 pm

David wrote:
A happy ending for all: Netball Australia recoups the same amount of funding it lost with a new $15m sponsorship deal, and Gina gets to take her money to the dwindling number of places where it's wanted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-31/netball-australia-sponsorship-deal-visit-victoria-hancock/101596136

Yeah and Netball Australia have been put over the barrel and screwed by the Vic Government.

They got $15m from Gina with the only string attached being having Hancock on the jersey.

Now they get $15m and have to play the 23 GF in Melbourne, at least 1 international in Melbourne over five years, and have their high performance centre here to.

So Netball Australia can't grow the game nationally like it wants to........

so yeah, happy ending!!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Great result Rolling Eyes taxpayer funded sponsorship.

Ginas money is still very welcome in the Olympic sports she sponsors.

I think you're way off on this. Netball is a key women's sport in Oz, as much as it bores me to tears. Last I was over we went to watch my niece play (lots of elbows flying — almost a contact sport!), and paid some obscene fee to watch community sport. But I understood because I assumed not enough funding was being put in by government.

If a government can't fund a high-participation grassroots sport like netball in an obese nation with its share of mental health problems, what the hell is it for? Netball can't rely on the random generosity of wealthy benefactors, whitewashing their extremely costly climate denialist lunacy in the process. Money donated is a bonus, but it's not a sustainable stream of funding, and should never come with dirty strings attached.

I feel exactly the same way about gambling and alcohol sponsorship where it still exists. All it does is cost the country money in cleaning up broken lives, even as it profits. I certainly don't believe in prohibition, and like a drink myself, so don't get me wrong. But you don't go out of your way to proliferate costly ills such as climate denial, smoking and excessive drinking. And you certainly don't become dependent on those costly ills.

People have to start costing externalities properly; they cost real money — real tax payer money — while social and sporting activities like netball save tax payer money or pay for themselves by making people physically and mentally healthier.

One of the great ironies of conservatism is the claim of being responsible; yet, it has almost complete disregard for the proper accounting of externalities and future cost, hence Iraq, loose financial regulation, climate denial, deficient government revenue collection, tax avoidance, the soiling of environments, species loss, and on. What this demonstrates is that sensible decisions are really beside the point, and the claim to responsibility is fraudulent. The arguments are merely conveniences; they flip from conservative to libertarian, liberal, hardline or outright reckless as required in order to benefit themselves today, right now, this minute, at the expense of others.

We live in a world still too easily fooled by costly malignant achievement, elevating narcissists whose 'success' is really just freeriding.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:39 pm

Netball is a great participation sport, bush footy clubs almost all have a netball club associated with them, the Toc one is now a single club.

It's great fun to play and more physically taxing than it looks, I played a social mixed game once, got fouled for trying to take a speccie over the opposition Laughing

It's just not a great spectator sport, people don't watch it on TV so it can't get any money from media rights.

Dan's stunt in sponsoring them was pure electioneering. There's no altruistic motive there toward the sport, and no financial reward for the state (unlike the Grand Prix) so it's all pure election timing, spending taxpayers money to try to tap into votes from those who didn't like Gina pulling out.

I'm not even sure where the money will go into grass roots Netball anyway when I think about it. Local clubs build their own courts, buy their own uniforms and balls, the only thing Netball Australia does is provide some rules and maybe some coaching for a handful of high potential prospects.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:32 pm

It won’t, it’ll pay off their debt and that’s about it.

Definitely an ejection stunt given they negotiated a sponsorship deal in a few days and announced on the last day they could do it before caretaker begins.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Netball is a great participation sport, bush footy clubs almost all have a netball club associated with them, the Toc one is now a single club.

It's great fun to play and more physically taxing than it looks, I played a social mixed game once, got fouled for trying to take a speccie over the opposition Laughing

It's just not a great spectator sport, people don't watch it on TV so it can't get any money from media rights.

Dan's stunt in sponsoring them was pure electioneering. There's no altruistic motive there toward the sport, and no financial reward for the state (unlike the Grand Prix) so it's all pure election timing, spending taxpayers money to try to tap into votes from those who didn't like Gina pulling out.

I'm not even sure where the money will go into grass roots Netball anyway when I think about it. Local clubs build their own courts, buy their own uniforms and balls, the only thing Netball Australia does is provide some rules and maybe some coaching for a handful of high potential prospects.

Spot on Stu

I played for years to A grade both ladies and mixed, coached for 15 years and even umpired a bit, I go to some of juniors games now but I never watch it on telly ever! The community club games are far better!

Sponsorship from our tax dollars! Already happening! Another feather in Victoria’s sporting cap! I agree Jezza what a waste! If I was given a GF ticket I’d give it away! Gods truth!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:33 am

It really doesn't matter if Andrews' involvement is an election stunt. Who cares? There are always half a dozen motives going on at any time. What matters is if the sustainable and proper stance is taken on the problem itself; and no, it's not sustainable for an important grass roots activity like netball to rely on handouts from capricious actors in exchange for whitewashing their costly lunacy.

Virtually everyone I know who goes on about Dan this and Dan that, on both sides of politics, strikes me as a bit batty. Every now and then I have to log into Faecebook (misspelling intended!) for business reasons, and the very same clueless relatives are harping on about 'Dan' in the very same way they were last year and the year before that and however many years before that. No advancement, no maturing or sharpened insight, no new ideas, no new interests, no independent thought — on both sides of politics. It strikes me as a particularly provincial obsession.

It's as if no one can think for themselves anymore, American style.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Some of what you note is right but there’s no financial reward is off the mark. For a paltry $15 million Victoria gets advertising internationally and domestically. Gina created a vacuum and politically let alone financially it’s a brilliant move. If you don’t believe me check out the apologetic reaction by News Limited, Sky News, The Murdoch press and other extreme right wing crazies.

In one fell swoop Andrews was handed a gift. Gina comes out as petty and spiteful which she was and Andrews gets to come across as a saviour of not just Netball but women’s sport and gets the kudos for bringing sport, recognition and the dollars that flow from that to Victoria. Whoever thought of that idea will get a Christmas bonus. Really smart.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:18 pm

David wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:
Refreshing to read that, honestly – a bit of raw passion aimed in the right direction.

And in a bit of delicious irony the other woman in question here, she who dared to express her concerns wins the netball match for Australia.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/netball/donnell-wallam-nails-incredible-winning-goal-on-debut-for-diamonds-after-hancock-saga-20221026-p5btan.html

Perhaps there is a God... Smile

Yes indeed

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Some of what you note is right but there’s no financial reward is off the mark. For a paltry $15 million Victoria gets advertising internationally and domestically. Gina created a vacuum and politically let alone financially it’s a brilliant move. If you don’t believe me check out the apologetic reaction by News Limited, Sky News, The Murdoch press and other extreme right wing crazies.

In one fell swoop Andrews was handed a gift. Gina comes out as petty and spiteful which she was and Andrews gets to come across as a saviour of not just Netball but women’s sport and gets the kudos for bringing sport, recognition and the dollars that flow from that to Victoria. Whoever thought of that idea will get a Christmas bonus. Really smart.

Advertising to the massive TV audience that watches Netball, which doesn't exist as previously discussed. Laughing Laughing

Political stunt, absolutely.
Did it spin the right wing media into a tizzy, absolutely
Is is actually genuine value for money in marketing Victoria? Nope, Nada, Nyet.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:18 am

But plenty of free publicity in the newspapers, so maybe that helps balance it out somewhat.

I get that this is a transparently and narrowly political decision and I guess you can argue that that makes it illegitimate. But I'm with PTID here: supporting and encouraging sports participation (particularly for something commonly played like netball rather than some niche Olympic category that hardly anyone competes in and only gets noticed once every four years) is already a societal good on a number of levels, so it makes good sense for it to get what is essentially public funding rather than depending on Faustian pacts with harmful industries. It's a misconception that that kind of funding has to be justified purely by the logic of the market. Basically, it's in everyone's interest that the sport thrives, and if this sponsorship boosts Victorian tourism in the process then it will already be a mutually beneficial arrangement regardless of whether every dollar is accounted for.

For me it's an entirely satisfactory outcome, and I get the feeling it's really only those who so badly wanted to see the right get a culture-war win (and for "woke" athletes to be punished) who will be pissed off by it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:30 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Oh this just gets better and better. 2021 tax data was released.

Hancock paid $1.145b in tax and Roy Hill paid $1.943b in income tax. Collectively, that's $3.1b up from $1.3b in the prior year.

Total income tax grew by $11b in 2021 and mining represented $7b of that.

Interesting of the list, those 2 also have the smallest gap between total income and taxable income

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/the-companies-that-made-the-most-money-and-paid-the-most-tax-20221103-p5bv6e.html

<Discussion of tax paid by mining companies moved here: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=91356>

And @David, yes the Vic gov sponsorship is an open transparent election stunt, that doesn't make it illegitimate by any stretch, but any impact on the grass roots would be negligible either way. People would still play at local clubs, the impact would be the elite level.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:40 pm

I get that, but I think it does filter through – having an elite level gives players in lower leagues something to aspire to, and thus inevitably boosts participation (which in turns aids those clubs financially). I'm guessing the emergence of AFLW has had a similar effect on lower-grade women's football.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: