Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should athletes have a say in corporate sponsorship?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:24 pm
Post subject: Should athletes have a say in corporate sponsorship?Reply with quote

Suddenly we've had athletes having issues with corporate sponsors who sponsor their sport.

I have no problem with athletes being picky about their own personal sponsors, but when you're talking about the club or competition, how much say should they have?

Hancock mining has withdrawn it's $15m sponsorship of Netball Australia after player(s) raised concerns about it's record on Indigenous issues.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/netball/hancock-prospecting-pulls-15m-netball-sponsorship-20221020-p5bri5.html

Netball isn't exactly in a great position financially, $7m in debt the past 2 years, no real broadcasting rights revenue, but players expect to be paid as professional athletes.

This follows on from the Australian Cricketers, lead by the Captain Cummins, pushing back on the deal with Alinta Energy as a sponsor over their parent companies green credentials. That's fine for Cummins, he earns a shitpile and the sponsorship deal won't impact him, but it doesn't sit well with me personally.

Companies sponsor sporting teams as a marketing exercise. Usually it's about trying to ally their product or brand with a successful, healthy passtime.

Look at the companies that pay the most money for sponsorships.
Fast food companies, Insurance, online betting, and back in the day it was alcohol and cigarettes. None of these were exactly virtuous organisations or industries devoted to making the world a better place.

I get individuals having religious objections to some things, but there comes a point where financial reward can bang headlong into personal beliefs.

In my view, if you want to be well paid as a professional athlete, don't bite the hand that feeds you and butt out of team or sporting organisation level sponsorships. If you object to a sponsor, get it in your contract that you don't have to do personal advertising for them.

Bit of a rambling OP but Thoughts?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletes thinking they are bigger than the game.

I'd be happy to see Netball Australia collapse just to prove the point that athletes need to sometimes learn to STFU.

Agree with comments on social media. Donate it to someone who appreciates it, like the Perth Children's Hospital.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:41 pm

I reckon it’s a totally legitimate action to take. It’s a statement of principle to say that you don’t want a team you play for to be associated with a company you’re morally opposed to. I’m happy to see cigarettes and pokies phased out of sport, and the sooner that happens to the big mining conglomerates that are doing harm to the planet, the better.

We can say it’s not their business and that players should just shut up and do what they’re paid to do, but no players means no team, and these netballers and cricketers have correctly perceived the leverage they wield. So I say good on them for standing up for their beliefs. Some things are more important than money.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:55 pm

^ that is exactly the response I would expect from a millennial.

Big mining bad.......forgetting that renewable energy relies on big mining for steel, lithium, aggregate, cement.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:04 pm

^

Yep. @David, you do realise that "renewable" energy chews up far more mining resources? Solar panels and Electric Vehicles are very mining resource hungry.

What's the old saying? You can't have your cake and eat it too?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:06 pm

1. Hard times create strong men.
2. Strong men create good times.
3. Good times create weak men.
4. And, weak men create hard times

We are in phase 4 right now.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:52 pm

^Yes, and Australia entered it after Keating, leaving David's generation and those afterwards to deal with a mess the appallingly irresponsible and selfish generation now in their 60s+ created for everyone else as they stole the future and now choke it to death with their massive voting block.

It goes back to when the sociopathically selfish self-servers failed every single marshmallow test put before them, unlike their parents, and has absolutely nothing to do with David's generation.

The whacko grabbers before David flatly refused to invest in the future, gobbling up national and natural assets for themselves in a destructive swine fest; trashing government revenues; taking easy money from mining in exchange for policy and planning wreckage; refusing to solve massive looming issues such as urban sprawl, infrastructure investment, knowledge economy skills investment and climate change; supporting economy-destroying wars like Iraq; taking China's money without conditions then trashing the relationship; taking Howard's handouts and easy mining money with no pricing of externalities and reinvestment; refusing to invest in skills, education and the knowledge economy; failing to rein in banks and finance before the GFC while riding the boom; trashing very basic responsibility by failing to roll out serious broadband and funding green energy and technology; scoffing at global warming; letting species collapse with abandon while poisoning land and sea; failing like callous dumb arses to even consider the need for a serious pandemic response system as the world rapidly globalised; and as part of that self-centredness, coc% blocked the ability for the country to provide the very basic and absolutely crucial psychological incentive of housing affordability for those after them.

So, you've got the right sort of thinking, just the entirely wrong generations and the completely wrong cause; i.e., it's got nothing to do with softness, but rather a deranged short-termist selfishness that trashed the future. Malignancy isn't tough; it's simply malignant.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:59 am

In a squad of 40 players there are bound to be a few that will find something to dislike about a sponsor. Imagine being a CEO and negotiating a great sponsorship deal only to have some players crack the sads.

It would make our current sponsorships of KFC and Emirates unlikely.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:34 pm

Funny how Cummins is happy to play in the IPL and earn a f&^ktonne of money ($8m and counting) when India is the third largest CO2 emitters.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Yep. @David, you do realise that "renewable" energy chews up far more mining resources? Solar panels and Electric Vehicles are very mining resource hungry.

What's the old saying? You can't have your cake and eat it too?

I’ve probably said this before, but there are really only two ways of looking at this stuff: 1) climate change isn’t a real problem, in which case Hancock et al are fine and environmentalists are just annoying whingers who need to STFU; or 2) climate change is a serious and urgent problem, in which case transition to renewables – however imperfect they themselves might be – is a major priority, and the companies currently profiting from fossil fuels are a significant barrier to addressing it.

The second option doesn’t require some Pollyanna approach where we extol the benefits of solar, lithium, etc. while pretending the problems with those methods don’t exist. But a serious approach to the problem isn’t going to be hostile to those advocating for transition, nor will it be satisfied by gotcha exercises. Instead, it’s going to be looking for every avenue to steer the energy industries in the direction they need to go. Because that’s what you would do in a crisis.

Right-wingers have gotten good at obfuscating this now that outright climate denial is no longer politically palatable, but it’s clear as day that people attacking greenies belong to the first group: they either don’t believe climate change is an existential problem, or else they build their political orientation toward the topic as if that were the case, so same difference. The trouble is that some culture war issues aren’t just a matter of taste or ideology but cold, hard reality, in this case backed up by scientific consensus. So the desire to bag out the other side unfortunately ends up as a struggle against reality, one that we all suffer from the longer this goes on.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:34 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
In a squad of 40 players there are bound to be a few that will find something to dislike about a sponsor. Imagine being a CEO and negotiating a great sponsorship deal only to have some players crack the sads.

It would make our current sponsorships of KFC and Emirates unlikely.

Exactly what I said!

Also, I believe the report said “in the past” if we look into the past of most corporations you are going to fine shady or not nice stuff. What is the climate like now? Is effort being made.

This is what pissed me off with the do better report, people took it the wrong way, and yet ‘do better’ says it all!

I don’t blame Gina at all. And just where does it leave Australian netball with all the Gard work done over the last few years to put it on the map?

The player should have been told, no worries we respect your position but you can’t play if you don’t wear the uniform. Bye

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Nice little rant, I'm sure there was a point in there somewhere.

The climate change agenda just can't co-exist with the anti mining agenda, it just doesn't work. Renewable energy sources require more mines. An electric car needs 2.5 times more copper than a normal car, that means more copper mines, not to touch all the rare earths that go in to make batteries that have a 10 year lifespan.

As I said before, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:

The climate change agenda just can't co-exist with the anti mining agenda, it just doesn't work. Renewable energy sources require more mines. An electric car needs 2.5 times more copper than a normal car, that means more copper mines, not to touch all the rare earths that go in to make batteries that have a 10 year lifespan.

Oh you mean David!

Yes it was, I stopped 1/2 way through the 2nd paragraphs!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:53 am

stui magpie wrote:

You're making an extraordinary claim there – just because electric cars are worse for the environment than regular cars (which I'll accept for argument's sake*), all renewable energy is pointless and we may as well go on burning coal forever? How do solar, wind, hydro and (depending on your stance) nuclear all factor into the equation?

The question isn't whether those energy sources have zero environmental impact, but whether they're an improvement on fossil fuels. Here's an article comparing various negative environmental impacts of renewables vs traditional energy sources, for instance:

https://theconversation.com/does-green-energy-have-hidden-health-and-environmental-costs-52484

Quote:
What about the environmental footprint of actually making renewable energy systems?

Photovoltaics (PV) comes out very well in our analysis. Today, the production of PV cells uses much less energy than previously. The carbon emissions per unit of PV electricity is one-tenth or less of even the most efficient natural gas power plants. Human health problems, such as respiratory disease from particulate matter exposure, are around one-tenth of those of modern coal-fired power plants with advanced pollution control equipment. Similar conclusions hold for water and soil pollution on ecosystems, we found.

But solar panels require much more space to generate the same amount of power as fossil fuel or nuclear power generators. Shouldn’t covering huge areas with solar panels be a problem? Not necessarily. The amount of land needed to generate a kilowatt-hour from PV is comparable to that of coal power, when the land associated with mining coal is accounted for. And about half of the PV installations in our future scenario in 2050 could be placed on rooftops.

Producing PV panels does require various metals, many of which are produced only in limited locations. Some of those metals are highly toxic. Waste treatment and recycling, which we did not include in our assessment, are therefore important.

[…]

Hydropower offers a good illustration of the importance of site selection and project design. Some projects may be economically viable but ultimately should not be realized if society considers the environmental degradation they can cause. For other projects, the impacts can be limited by mitigation strategies such as environmental stream flow and fish ladders, which provide a detour for migrating fish around a dam.

As that last paragraph suggests, the goal isn't just to blindly pursue some ideological pro-renewables crusade, but to optimise those sources and reduce environmental risks. I'm sure you don't believe for a second that nobody in favour of renewable energy has thought to crunch the numbers on this.

I also don't understand what you mean by an "anti mining agenda" that is separate from the "climate change agenda" (the latter clearly being an "agenda" we should all be on board with by now). However many new mines pop up to support increased (say) solar panel production will obviously be dwarfed by the eventual closure of massive coal mines like the ones that Rinehart runs. It's not a zero-sum game. The environment and the future of the planet as a place liveable for humans is the cake. Nobody's asking to eat it.

*getting back to electric cars, as I said in another thread recently, it's entirely possible that the fate of cars themselves will be linked to battery-operated vehicles' capacity to prove themselves environmentally friendly. I really have no strong opinion on that. It's not like every environmentalist out there is a gung-ho Tesla spruiker; many think the future of transport lies in bicycles, buses and trains, and they may well turn out to be right.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:54 am

If sports are limited to sponsors that suit the woke brigade then there’ll be **** all money available so hopefully all these enlightened players are willing to take massive pay cuts or see their sport die just to feel good about themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: