Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should athletes have a say in corporate sponsorship?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Jacinta Nampijinpa Price sums it up nicely.

Quote:
You make your bed, you lie in it…
Unless you’ve got a cool few million in your back pocket to support your sporting code, your woke sense of self importance should be your private opinion and your private opinion only.
Sporting codes, corporates and society in general need to grow a spine and stop pandering to self righteous individuals on the basis saying ‘No’ to their selfish demands just might attract accusations of racism or bigotry.
Wake up Australia! Stop acting like brainless sheeple and get on with the job, whatever job that may be. Stop creating a rod for your backs and the backs of others especially our children. Stop empowering bullies and demonstrate what it means to be a real person. Clearly self flagellation isn’t working.
While you allow bullies to bully it’s the vulnerable who ultimately lose out in the end. My niece is an up and coming Australian Aboriginal netball player and now those she looks up to have made her future that much harder.
All because you choose to judge another woman on the basis of what her father said some years ago. Despite the fact this woman is a pioneer in her own right who has dedicated millions toward the betterment of Aboriginal Australians in many number of ways.
If we chose to judge others on the actions or words of their family members we’d no doubt be peering down our noses with disgust at everyone we came across if that’s how judgemental we are to be. It’s time to grow up.
When you put the love of your country, yourself or the thing you’re passionate about before your dislike, disdain, distaste or hate for others then that is when you achieve greatness for others to be inspired by. That is when you create opportunity and progress.
Suck it up, get over the hurt feelings you choose to have and get on with it especially when you have the choice and are privileged to do so!

She nailed it alright..
The thing today is though, once these lunatics who dwell in the past, make a ludicrous statement,there is no sense or logic that can change their view.
Those who throw accusations around need to take a good hard look in a mirror, there they will see the real problem.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:38 am

Skids wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Jacinta Nampijinpa Price sums it up nicely.

Quote:
You make your bed, you lie in it…
Unless you’ve got a cool few million in your back pocket to support your sporting code, your woke sense of self importance should be your private opinion and your private opinion only.
Sporting codes, corporates and society in general need to grow a spine and stop pandering to self righteous individuals on the basis saying ‘No’ to their selfish demands just might attract accusations of racism or bigotry.
Wake up Australia! Stop acting like brainless sheeple and get on with the job, whatever job that may be. Stop creating a rod for your backs and the backs of others especially our children. Stop empowering bullies and demonstrate what it means to be a real person. Clearly self flagellation isn’t working.
While you allow bullies to bully it’s the vulnerable who ultimately lose out in the end. My niece is an up and coming Australian Aboriginal netball player and now those she looks up to have made her future that much harder.
All because you choose to judge another woman on the basis of what her father said some years ago. Despite the fact this woman is a pioneer in her own right who has dedicated millions toward the betterment of Aboriginal Australians in many number of ways.
If we chose to judge others on the actions or words of their family members we’d no doubt be peering down our noses with disgust at everyone we came across if that’s how judgemental we are to be. It’s time to grow up.
When you put the love of your country, yourself or the thing you’re passionate about before your dislike, disdain, distaste or hate for others then that is when you achieve greatness for others to be inspired by. That is when you create opportunity and progress.
Suck it up, get over the hurt feelings you choose to have and get on with it especially when you have the choice and are privileged to do so!

She nailed it alright..
The thing today is though, once these lunatics who dwell in the past, make a ludicrous statement,there is no sense or logic that can change their view.
Those who throw accusations around need to take a good hard look in a mirror, there they will see the real problem.

she sure did nail it

and if any one is curious the comment was made in ....1984

its been 38 years! no, dont get over it but do understand it was a different age back then.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/netball/netball-australia-hancock-prospecting-donnell-wallam-devastated/cc2feb4b-511c-4595-b306-450ab4994f16?ocid=edm-nine.com.au-ninedaily--221024&mktg_scr=edm-ninedaily

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:44 am

David wrote:
Not sure what makes it positive publicity … the people who like Rinehart and share her politics will applaud her; the people who despise her will feel vindicated. And the people who aren’t into culture wars will probably not give a toss about her or this story either way.

a woman standing up and saying she will not be punished for something her father said 38 years ago.

i dont care who she is, good (*&^%^& on her!

i think a lot of us old pissed off fuddy duddies are mighty sick of the young things getting offended over shit that had and has nothing to do with us. She got her 15 min of fame and outrage, I hope it was worth it.

This one athlete has now made it doubly hard for other indigenous players, because of something that was said 38 years ago, in very different times.

the only reason to "stick it up Gina" is because of something Gina did wrong. and hey, plenty think she has a lot to defend!

the sins of the father! **** that shit!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:50 am

think positive wrote:
This one athlete has now made it doubly hard for other indigenous players, because of something that was said 38 years ago, in very different times.

How so, exactly? Please explain.

It's not Rinehart's fault her father was a virulent racist, but she runs the company that bears his name – i.e. his own company, that remains in his family – and has never even mildly repudiated his legacy. She's not the one who's being personally boycotted; it's the company in Hancock's name that the player (perfectly reasonably) didn't want to be associated with. And rather than dealing with that complaint sensitively and at least acknowledging the faults with that legacy, Rinehart chose to throw her toys out of the cot. So I think we can spare her the violins on this occasion.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:35 pm

1 person objected. One. How many felt they had to go along. Again 38 years ago it was said, plus he’s long dead. I’m not feeling sorry for Gina at all. I’m just understanding her point of view.

And if you can’t see how thus harms other indigenous players read the comments from the indigenous woman whatsinaname quoted until you do

Last edited by think positive on Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:03 pm

It's funny the way the past dwellers think.

I have 'Billy' & 'Lucy' who own the local Deli (for the past 5 or so years). They're Vietnamese. Now, my Dad was shot at by Vietnamese and some of his best mates were killed by them. Do I insist that they apologise to me, or boycott their shop? No, I welcomed them to our community, I help Lucy with the bundles of papers on mornings I see her struggling when I'm walking the Dog. They're my friends.

Gunther is a commissioning technician for Osmoflow. I have been handed over RO plants and learnt a lot from Gunther, he's a great bloke. He's also a German. His ancestors dropped bombs on mine and probably killed some of them in the 2 WW's. Do I demand anything from Gunther? No, he's a fantastic work colleague who I'm constantly in touch with.

I always (last 7 years) buy a new Mazda when my lease is up. Great cars, love them. They are built by Japanese in Japan. Some of my ancestors were tortured and brutally killed by the Japanese in WW2... why on earth would I buy a Mazda. Confused

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:39 pm

A bit disappointed that the netballers haven't insisted on not calling themselves diamonds. One carat of a mined diamond requires the removal of 250 tonnes of earth/soil, requires 450 litres of water, and emits 60kg of carbon dioxide.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:55 pm

think positive wrote:
1 person objected. One. How many felt they had yo ho along. Again 38 years ago it was said, plushes long dead. I’m not feeling sorry for Gina at all. I’m just understanding her point of view.

And if you can see how thus harms other indigenous players read the comments from the indigenous woman whatsinaname quoted until you do

Price is a Sky News-style right-wing culture warrior turned Liberal Party senator, so her attitude (and castigation of players' "selfishness" for the crime of having a social conscience) isn't surprising here.

She also doesn't spell out how exactly her niece will suffer as a result of this: either she means generally that they've jeopardised the future of netball as a professional sport (to which, see the bolded part in the article I quoted earlier), or she means that Wallam taking a stand will lead to more Indigenous players being frozen out, bullied or missing out on being recruited – which, I hope is needless to say, would be not only outrageous but thoroughly illegal, and certainly not this player's fault if it transpired. Honestly, shame on her for even implying that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:57 pm

Hmmm, 2 players same talent, 1 is indigenous , which choice it’s the easiest, maybe the road with less risk?

If you really think this kind of thing doesn’t happen you’ve never been female, pregnant, indigenous, physically or mentally challenged in someway, lucky you.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:58 pm

Skids wrote:
It's funny the way the past dwellers think.

I have 'Billy' & 'Lucy' who own the local Deli (for the past 5 or so years). They're Vietnamese. Now, my Dad was shot at by Vietnamese and some of his best mates were killed by them. Do I insist that they apologise to me, or boycott their shop? No, I welcomed them to our community, I help Lucy with the bundles of papers on mornings I see her struggling when I'm walking the Dog. They're my friends.

Gunther is a commissioning technician for Osmoflow. I have been handed over RO plants and learnt a lot from Gunther, he's a great bloke. He's also a German. His ancestors dropped bombs on mine and probably killed some of them in the 2 WW's. Do I demand anything from Gunther? No, he's a fantastic work colleague who I'm constantly in touch with.

I always (last 7 years) buy a new Mazda when my lease is up. Great cars, love them. They are built by Japanese in Japan. Some of my ancestors were tortured and brutally killed by the Japanese in WW2... why on earth would I buy a Mazda. Confused

This totally this!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:58 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
A bit disappointed that the netballers haven't insisted on not calling themselves diamonds. One carat of a mined diamond requires the removal of 250 tonnes of earth/soil, requires 450 litres of water, and emits 60kg of carbon dioxide.
and that’s clean honest, (cough) diamonds, not even blood diamonds !
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:56 pm

think positive wrote:
Hmmm, 2 players same talent, 1 is indigenous , which choice it’s the easiest, maybe the road with less risk?

If you really think this kind of thing doesn’t happen you’ve never been female, pregnant, indigenous, physically or mentally challenged in someway, lucky you.

It’s victim-blaming, pure and simple. "Don’t stand up against racism or more people will be racist to people like you."

According to this genre of reactionary politics, discrimination is just some kind of inevitable law of nature and nothing much can be done to prevent it. So the responsibility falls on those from minority backgrounds to avoid provoking racists and causing further discrimination.

I can give Price the benefit of the doubt here because it’s not 100% clear what she means. But this is explicitly what you’re saying.

Of course, anyone who takes the approach in your first sentence, or believes that’s a reasonable way to think, should be run out of the game. Race-based discrimination in hiring has been unlawful for decades for a reason. So if they exist, that’s a massive problem. What an Indigenous player does or says, good or bad, has no bearing on that.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:27 pm

sigh, waste of effort really!

the racism she is making a stand against was 38 $$%^%%$ years ago, she wasnt even born! so no, she is not standing up to racism. i really hate the expression but quite frankly shes being a Karen!

as others have pointed out, there are few companies, businesses, governments, populations that have done no wrong to ANYONE!
so yeah no sponsors, no sport!

as for my first sentence, correct weight but its also true, its human nature! lots of people actually have to live in the real world you know, and this shit happens EVERY SINGLE DAY!

and one netballer wont stop it.

hell, Hamilton is one of the worlds highest paid sports stars, and he has stories to tell, one recently a remark or so called joke by a senior member of a rival team. ask the greatest of all time, Lewis, Jordan, LeBron, the williams sisters, they still face it all the time. and they fight it by succeeding anyway.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:45 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:

It’s victim-blaming, pure and simple. "Don’t stand up against racism or more people will be racist to people like you."

According to this genre of reactionary politics, discrimination is just some kind of inevitable law of nature and nothing much can be done to prevent it. So the responsibility falls on those from minority backgrounds to avoid provoking racists and causing further discrimination.

I can give Price the benefit of the doubt here because it’s not 100% clear what she means. But this is explicitly what you’re saying.

Of course, anyone who takes the approach in your first sentence, or believes that’s a reasonable way to think, should be run out of the game. Race-based discrimination in hiring has been unlawful for decades for a reason. So if they exist, that’s a massive problem. What an Indigenous player does or says, good or bad, has no bearing on that.

I wouldn’t be giving Price any benefit if a doubt: the darling of the extreme right. That a player dare question the ultra rich resulted in the biggest dummy spit this country has seen. What we need to question is not just the greenwashing by Australian tax subsidised business who barely pays any tax but why Sport is in bed with them in the first place.

The netballers were more than prepared to wear the mining logo at the same time one player had issues. Being inclusive the players supported her but chose to continue to wear the logo. Gina dummy spat big time and her hangers on in the extreme right think they’ve found their stick to beat the so called “woke” brigade. A silly label that says nothing and contributes little except gets a few right wing rednecks excited; It’s stupid and ignores the facts.

However the same was said with cigarette and alcohol sponsorship in many respects. Hancock mining will be replaced.
We need to do the same with gambling. In as far as mining is concerned especially like those of Hancock mining it will draw more attention to her political connections and the lack of tax paid by not just her company but many others.

Good riddance Hancock. It doesn’t take much for her to say her father was a racist scumbag of the highest order or words to that effect. May she choke on some iron ore. It would represent one less mining parasite living off public subsidy and not paying their fare share.

Perhaps players need to lick the bootstraps of their sponsors while licking the floor for the leftovers the rich like to leave. How dare they have an opinion let alone express it.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:16 pm

think positive wrote:
sigh, waste of effort really!

the racism she is making a stand against was 38 $�$%^%%$ years ago, she wasnt even born! so no, she is not standing up to racism. i really hate the expression but quite frankly shes being a Karen!

as others have pointed out, there are few companies, businesses, governments, populations that have done no wrong to ANYONE!
so yeah no sponsors, no sport!

as for my first sentence, correct weight but its also true, its human nature! lots of people actually have to live in the real world you know, and this shit happens EVERY SINGLE DAY!

and one netballer wont stop it.

hell, Hamilton is one of the worlds highest paid sports stars, and he has stories to tell, one recently a remark or so called joke by a senior member of a rival team. ask the greatest of all time, Lewis, Jordan, LeBron, the williams sisters, they still face it all the time. and they fight it by succeeding anyway.

The craziest part is it is just because they’ve been conditioned to hate mining, they seem to forget the M in CFMEU stands for Mining and a big part of their favourite political party…

Now they’ll change the facts and pretend the netballers were happy to wear the uniform but it was just all Gina…Yeah, the netballers said they were happy to AFTER the sponsorship had been pulled. Talk about a bullshit attempt at an about face…

But could you imagine if a white sports person came out and refused to wear a logo of an indigenous company? Holy Shit that would be a true shitstorm!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: