Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should athletes have a say in corporate sponsorship?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

You're making an extraordinary claim there – just because electric cars are worse for the environment than regular cars (which I'll accept for argument's sake*), all renewable energy is pointless and we may as well go on burning coal forever?.

That would indeed be an extraordinary claim to make, which is probably why I didn't make that claim or anything like it.

Since the rest of your post seems bent on refuting a point I didn't make, I'm not going to bother trying to unpack it or respond.

For the record, I agree with increasing use of renewable energy to replace burning fossil fuels, it's a no brainer. It needs to be done in a measured way, not in some panicked knee jerk manner, but it has to happen.

However, and this was the point I was making, thinking that moving to renewable energy can happen while reducing/stopping mining is utterly ludicrous. Solar panels and batteries consume vast amounts of different minerals, many of them rare, and only last 10 years before needing to be replaced. Not exactly green or sustainable.

If we want truly sustainable green energy in the long term we should be looking more at hydrogen as a fuel source IMHO.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:26 am

^A mix for now suiting local strengths until we gain more clarity is the go, including green hydrogen (blue very interim). The haste of the effort needs to be ramped up again, although Putin might have guaranteed that anyhow. Keep your eye on nuclear fusion (as opposed to fission); lots of experimental records being broken, but can't be guaranteed yet and still a way off so a mix needed.

Batteries are advancing faster than ever; see lithium-sulphur, which gets far more out of lithium, does away with cobalt and is lighter. And lithium-sulphur is not even close to the cutting edge, so optimism is high on the battery front.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:01 am

eddiesmith wrote:
If sports are limited to sponsors that suit the woke brigade then there’ll be **** all money available so hopefully all these enlightened players are willing to take massive pay cuts or see their sport die just to feel good about themselves.

I’m willing to bet you that 1) professional netball will continue to be able to find sponsors that aren’t subject to player boycotts and 2) the sport will not die. I suspect this may be less of a general anti-mining crusade but more of a reflection that Hancock are particularly bad apples in terms of their environmental disregard and political lobbying. But even if there aren’t going to be any mining sponsorships going forward, they’ll cope.

The reality is that most organisations are at least somewhat choosy about who they enter into sponsorship arrangements with. Part of that’s about image, part is about "values", part is about the kind of partnerships you’re choosing to prioritise (say, wanting to associate with certain industries). Case in point: I edit an online film publication; we could pull in more money by filling the website with automated spam weight-loss ads, but it would look like shit and ultimately turn away the audience we want to build, so it’s in our long-term interest not to. But that’s primarily a business decision; I have nothing but respect for people who sacrifice profit for principle without getting anything in return. It’s dispiriting that some can’t appreciate that.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:07 pm

Best stop supporting the Collingwood Football Club, look at OUR sponsors;

EMIRATES - Burn over 5 billion litres of aviation fuel a year & have a deplorable history of the way they treat women in the workplace.

KFC - Well this muck needs no explanation. Disgusting, fat dripping heart attack material. Overpriced and aiding the ever increasing obesity problem around the country.

NIKE - Famous for their sweatshops and abuse of cheap labour. Who can forget the image of a 12yo boy sewing soccer balls together?

Latrobe finance - charging people exorbitant rates to make massive profits.

Carlton Draught - Alcohol, the most destructive drug on the planet.

Let's reach out to Unicorns & Rainbows Inc... or maybe the Leprechaun, the one that can lead us to the poison gold.

The world's gone nuts.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:24 pm

You're halfway there, Skids! Wink

They say "no ethical consumption under capitalism", but there are certainly better and worse options. Consistency is overrated, but it wouldn't hurt for us to scrutinise some of these partnerships more closely and see if we can, well, "do better".

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:30 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
If sports are limited to sponsors that suit the woke brigade then there’ll be **** all money available so hopefully all these enlightened players are willing to take massive pay cuts or see their sport die just to feel good about themselves.

exactly right!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:45 pm

Michael Bradley sums this up well:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/10/24/gina-rinehart-netball-australia-donnell-wallam/

Quote:
What are we to do with all this? The sports-media cartel is uniformly panicked and loudly predicting the end of professional sport altogether if this trend of allowing the “personal brand” of athletes to dictate sponsor selection is allowed to continue. Where, they ask, will the money come from, you idiots?

There are a couple of things one can say about this amoral panic. First, we’ve heard it before. In the 1970s–80s, professional sport was almost entirely funded by tobacco companies — remember that? Sporting bodies decried the moves to abolish tobacco sponsorship, because where would the money come from then? Largely, it came from alcohol companies. Then online gambling companies. What it never did was stop flowing.

One thing of which we can be sure is that if there is a commercial benefit to corporate sponsorship of sport, that sponsorship will exist. If no such benefit exists, meaning the dollars don’t add up, then that begs a different question. If swimming, netball, volleyball or any other sport relying on what is essentially corporate philanthropy can’t “survive” otherwise, then it isn’t a business, it’s a charity.

The second point is that you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. Like it or not, athletes have opinions, values and beliefs […] Cricket Australia can’t sack Pat Cummins for voicing his objection to carbon-spewing money, because he has cultural and commercial power that makes him more or less immune. That’s the real reason for the disconcertment in the boardroom.

As does David Pocock in another article:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2022/10/24/sport-sponsorship-fossil-fuels-gambling-breaking-silence/

Quote:
“It takes a lot of courage for anyone to tell their employer they disagree, even more when those views are likely to become the subject of national debate,” Pocock told Crikey.

“We hear people saying politics and sport shouldn’t mix, but it seems that’s only when athletes have a view. We’re very happy to let politicians make use of sport. And to let sponsors use sport for their own political advantage.” […]

“We shouldn’t silence [athletes'] voices, especially when they’re asked to be human billboards.”

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:29 pm

maybe you could sponsor em!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:47 pm

Guess what! We already do Laughing

https://netball.com.au/news/netball-australia-welcomes-30-million-coalition-commitment

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:51 pm

Rinehart got $15m+ worth of positive publicity without spending a dime.

That's one clever lady.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:45 pm

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price sums it up nicely.

Quote:
You make your bed, you lie in it…
Unless you’ve got a cool few million in your back pocket to support your sporting code, your woke sense of self importance should be your private opinion and your private opinion only.
Sporting codes, corporates and society in general need to grow a spine and stop pandering to self righteous individuals on the basis saying ‘No’ to their selfish demands just might attract accusations of racism or bigotry.
Wake up Australia! Stop acting like brainless sheeple and get on with the job, whatever job that may be. Stop creating a rod for your backs and the backs of others especially our children. Stop empowering bullies and demonstrate what it means to be a real person. Clearly self flagellation isn’t working.
While you allow bullies to bully it’s the vulnerable who ultimately lose out in the end. My niece is an up and coming Australian Aboriginal netball player and now those she looks up to have made her future that much harder.
All because you choose to judge another woman on the basis of what her father said some years ago. Despite the fact this woman is a pioneer in her own right who has dedicated millions toward the betterment of Aboriginal Australians in many number of ways.
If we chose to judge others on the actions or words of their family members we’d no doubt be peering down our noses with disgust at everyone we came across if that’s how judgemental we are to be. It’s time to grow up.
When you put the love of your country, yourself or the thing you’re passionate about before your dislike, disdain, distaste or hate for others then that is when you achieve greatness for others to be inspired by. That is when you create opportunity and progress.
Suck it up, get over the hurt feelings you choose to have and get on with it especially when you have the choice and are privileged to do so!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:50 pm

David wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

I’m willing to bet you that 1) professional netball will continue to be able to find sponsors that aren’t subject to player boycotts and 2) the sport will not die. I suspect this may be less of a general anti-mining crusade but more of a reflection that Hancock are particularly bad apples in terms of their environmental disregard and political lobbying. But even if there aren’t going to be any mining sponsorships going forward, they’ll cope.

The reality is that most organisations are at least somewhat choosy about who they enter into sponsorship arrangements with. Part of that’s about image, part is about "values", part is about the kind of partnerships you’re choosing to prioritise (say, wanting to associate with certain industries). Case in point: I edit an online film publication; we could pull in more money by filling the website with automated spam weight-loss ads, but it would look like shit and ultimately turn away the audience we want to build, so it’s in our long-term interest not to. But that’s primarily a business decision; I have nothing but respect for people who sacrifice profit for principle without getting anything in return. It’s dispiriting that some can’t appreciate that.

Given they were $7 million in the red, no I don’t think there is a plethora of sponsors lining up. Besides, as Skids pointed out below this post there will be a reason to attack pretty much every major company by someone with an agenda.

I doubt there is a company in existence who doesn’t employ someone who said something bad once in their lifetime…🙄🙄

If these people had the same standards towards political parties, well they could never support the Greens with the crazy one in the senate!!!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:28 pm

double yep!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:30 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Rinehart got $15m+ worth of positive publicity without spending a dime.

That's one clever lady.

yep!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 am

Not sure what makes it positive publicity … the people who like Rinehart and share her politics will applaud her; the people who despise her will feel vindicated. And the people who aren’t into culture wars will probably not give a toss about her or this story either way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: