Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victorian State Election 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My early analysis based on the trends and data we've witnessed.

[*] The Liberals went backwards in the middle class eastern suburbs, in electorates such as Ringwood, Box Hill, Glen Waverley and Ashwood. These were seats they were hoping to win but lost further ground in.

[*] The Teals fail to replicate their Federal election success. They may still win Mornington and Hawthorn, but postals generally favour the Liberals. They didn't come close in Brighton and Caulfield and lost in Kew.

[*] The Nationals exceeded expectations holding all regional seats and winning back Mildura and Shepparton from the independents. The Liberals were able to hold on to Benambra.

[*] The Greens primary largely stays the same from the last election, but Liberal preferences helped them gain Richmond. Overall, I think they've underachieved as I think they thought they were going to also gain Northcote and possibly Pascoe Vale.

[*] The western suburbs independents in Melton, Point Cook and Werribee all failed to unseat Labor. The primary vote for these candidates was far lower than expected.

[*] The Liberals had massive swings in their favour in the North and West but the margins were too great to overcome to win any seats in these areas.

[*] Despite the talk of a massive crossbench and an increase in the primary vote of 'Other', it's possible no independents will win a seat in this election.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:42 pm

As it stands:

Seats (67.9% counted)

Labor = 50
Coalition = 25
Greens = 4
Other = 0

Primary Vote: (67.9% counted)

Labor = 37.0% (-5.9)
Coalition = 35.1% (-0.1)
Greens = 10.9% (+0.2)
Other = 17.0% (+5.8]

Two Party Preferred: (67.9% counted)

Labor = 54.2% (-3.1)
Coalition = 45.8% (+3.1)

Seats gained and lost:

Labor gains Glen Waverley and Ripon.
Labor lost Nepean and Richmond.

Coalition gains Morwell, Nepean, Mildura, Shepparton.
Coalition lost Glen Waverley and Ripon.

Greens gain Richmond.
Greens have no losses.

Independents have no gains.
Independents lost Mildura, Morwell and Shepparton.

Seats in Doubt:

Bass = Labor 50.4 - 49.6 Coalition - (67.4% counted)
Hastings = Labor 50.7 - 49.3 Coalition - (75.9% counted)
Hawthorn = Coalition 50.7 - 49.3 Teal - (70.9% counted)
Melton = Labor 54.8 - 45.2 Coalition - (73.0% counted)
Mornington = Coalition 50.2 - 49.8 Teal - (78.1% counted)
Northcote = Labor 51.2 - 48.8 Greens - (72.5% counted)
Pakenham = Labor 51.6 - 48.4 Coalition - (71.1% counted)
Preston = Labor 52.2 - 47.8 Greens - (58.2% counted)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:13 pm

Disappointing result, 4 more years of Chairman Dan, but shit happens, the sun came up this morning and I spent the day with my Grandson.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm

^ I share your sentiments, Stui.

Life goes on.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm

Good Lord what a disaster for the Victorian Liberals.They might as well give up.Imagine if Peter Dutton had campaigned for them in the election.The result would have been even worse for them. Shocked
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:56 pm

^ Biut a great day for people who can read and write. The Liberals aren't fit to clean toilets in a COVID facility, let alone govern.

Fact is, there was a lot of ridiculous noise about the pandemic response - but Victorians, on the whole, plainly agreed with it. It was a really stupid idea for the LNP to make the election a referendum about Andrews' handling of the pandemic. Plainly, people saw that for the cynical poll strategy it was - perhaps because they recalled the LNP whingeing early about the number of people dead in Victoria (remember when the former leader was getting himself photoghraphed in a field with "the tombs of the unknown COVID victims"?) and then pausing to change feet when they realised that about 5 noisy idiots thought Andrews' response was inappropriate.

Ultimately, what the votes disclose is that the safe ALP electorates sent a little protest message, easy in the knowledge the protest wouldn't affect the result (much as we did at Federal level when we voted Phil Cleary into Wills) - but the ALP numbers held steady in the parts of Melbourne that actually decide the Victorian government.

What the LNP now needs to appreciate is that it was unable to make a meaningful play for government despite deteriorating economic conditions (almost always a catalyst for election backlash against a sitting government) and sui generis crisis conditions that haven't previously been seen in any living voter's lifetime. If they couldn't make inroads in that context, perhaps they should turn out the lights and leave. They are plainly irrelevant - and likely to become more marginal as time progresses and the reactionary idiots of my era and older who tended to vote for them in significant numbers do the right thing by the future and die.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:09 pm

Further counting today has given the ALP 2 more seats of the 8 "in doubt", so they are up to 52 seats, now and - as I mentioned earlier - lead in all but two of the others. 56 is looking more and more likely as counting progresses.

Just on the Premier's vote in his own electorate, there has been (subject to further counting) about a 5% swing against him, two-party preferred - so the Libs got back some of the 8.2% swing to him at the 2018 poll. That is, his electorate is safer, now, than it was before the 2018 Danslide. Wink

I missed this in The Age (which I generally don't read):

Quote:
Several Coalition MPs told The Age the Liberal Party needed to embark on major internal reform to become relevant to younger voters. While they argued the election result was driven by deep-seated problems unrelated to Guy, they claimed it was clear that Guy returning as leader, when he toppled O’Brien last year, was wrong.

“This [G]uy has taken us off a cliff twice now. He and everyone who helped bring him back need to own this,” one MP said. “This is disaster upon disaster upon disaster.”

See: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/struggles-to-gain-ground-in-east-and-south-of-city-make-life-tough-for-liberals-20221122-p5c0bx.html
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:10 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Good Lord what a disaster for the Victorian Liberals.They might as well give up.Imagine if Peter Dutton had campaigned for them in the election.The result would have been even worse for them. Shocked

The Liberals need an Enema and a proper reset to become relevant again.

They have too many fringe F wits climbing aboard, including the religious nut jobs, they don't have a clear understanding of what they stand for anymore. It's all well and good to say that you're a broad church, but they can't cater to every ratbag imbecile idea and for gods sake don't lurch down the path of becoming more right wing.

That, IMO, needs to come from the executive of the party, set some direction, stop preselecting fanatic imbeciles and get serious about being a party that appeals to the middle ground where the majority of people sit. Be the meat pie, just use the sauce to differentiate.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:21 pm

^ The ALP occupies the middle ground. There is no room there for the Liberals as "ALP-lite".

The Libs preselect "fanatic imbeciles" (as they have done for many years - it is no accident that Finn was in Parliament on and off for 30 years) because that's their constituency. They haven't moved anywhere much on the spectrum in the last 6 decades - it's just that enough people with the vote seem to be a little less tolerant of neo-fascism than they used to be.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:59 pm

The ALP don't occupy it by right, the Vic Libs conceded it. 2 (or more) parties can compete for the middle ground, the winner is the one who puts the most palatable sauce on the pie even if they don't occupy all of it.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:27 pm

Where and when do I pick up my free tampons?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ But a great day for people who can read and write. The Liberals aren't fit to clean toilets in a COVID facility, let alone govern.
……….

Can’t argue with any of that. Disappointing for tin hatters, haters, the COVID deniers and the Murdoch press. I had to laugh at the headline in the chaser:

“Herald-Sun loses election”.

The right honourable Daniel Andrews is now the thrice elected Premier of Victoria. Marvellous, and he did so well in Mulgrave.

If the Libs are gunna pander to the nutters on the fringe right including the religious pentacostalists, racists and bigots they deserved everything they got.

Guy Rundle in Crikey summed the Libs up best when his article this week pre election noted:

The Victorian Liberal Party was invaded by the margins, now it lies in ruins….Politically, morally and organisationally, the Victorian Liberal
Party is unfit to take office….

Shame about Caulfield, very close by the ALP but lost in postal votes. The sitting scumbag member Southwick once had in his CV he was an adjunct professor (he might have done a course once in marketing) then the last election 4 years ago exaggerated crime and the Sudanese. Anyway, congratulations to the thrice elected premier of Victoria and up yours Murdoch press especially Peta Credlin and others. Ain’t democracy wunnerful’. 😊😊😊👏👏👏

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:08 pm

hehe thats a funny headline

i was wrapped cos it pissed so many people i know off so much!

really makes me wonder who voted for him but then, maybe my friends are all ...god know! i was lazy, i was pissed at something and just voted 1 animal justice party, not the fake one! so im not sure who got my vote!!

as an aside im picking up 2 6 year old sheep whos lambing days will be over, they will join my already spoilt brats and live a safe, happy, stress free spoilt back scratching life! and these 2 dont need clipping, they shed in spring! bless em!

im also looking at adopting some ex battery cage hens, just trying to contact the guy who has them, he goes state wide and rescues them, and sells them to good homes only for $6 each, which doesnt cover his transport and feeding fees, he does it for love. thats a good guy! cheers

Go Dan! i reckon he deserves it!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:11 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Where and when do I pick up my free tampons?

Coming to a public toilet near you, sometime around 2025. There'll be a CFMEU shop steward there to help you insert it.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:11 pm

David wrote:
A little disappointed the Greens didn’t win more (at some point last night it looked like they might have increased their lower house numbers from 3 to as many as 8, but at this stage it’s looking more likely they’ll end up on 4). Main interest now will be the legislative council. Things are looking somewhat encouraging on that front: https://amp.abc.net.au/article/101703326

The Rat may have gone just a little early on her ‘green slide’ comments 😂😂😂😂
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13   

Jump to: