Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stage 3 tax cuts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:19 am

Something ironic I've noticed about this discussion is that all of us are coming to it with ideological preconceptions – TP and Skids think that people on six figures pay too much tax, I think they pay too little, PTID and Stui think there should be a balance between the two positions – and these views tend to inform Liberal and Labor government policies too (this tax cut being, of course, a relic from the previous government). But those positions are all largely unmoored from the question of specific figures, both in terms of what they currently are and what is being proposed. Who's to say they're not already too low, or too high, and what an ideal percentage for various salary categories would actually be if you were starting from scratch? That's largely missing from this discussion.

PTID, I think you actually fundamentally misunderstand my position here. I don't think more well-off people should pay more tax because I see wealth as a moral failing. I simply believe that higher-taxing societies tend to be higher-quality societies – in terms of better services, infrastructure and social support – and I look at our tax percentages in comparison with other countries (European social democracies, even Australia itself in the past) and feel like our tax rates are relatively low in comparison (though not as low as some, e.g. the US, which I think is a case in point of what insufficient government spending can do to a society).

I totally accept that some people on the left see taxation policy as a punitive tool against the rich. That's not my position. I believe in incentive and don't believe in equality of outcome for its own sake. But if we're talking about damaging moral perspectives, the narrative of the deserving rich and undeserving poor is the biggest problem in my view, and is one that far too often informs tax policy. You can see it right here in arguments supporting these tax cuts.

We have little to fear from the opposing "moral" view, on the other hand – because I think we can all agree that it's largely the wealthy and powerful who tend to shape policy, not those who resent them.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:09 am

I actually don't get why anyone would think that more of a burden should fall upon people who receive, in the grand scheme of things (and certainly not meaning to demean people who work hard for relatively modest incomes) relatively modest incomes. There isn't much difference between someone earning $100,000 and someone earning $200,000 - I've always felt that politicians and the media were pulling our legs when they suggest that people in such income brackets are "wealthy". In Australia, "high" taxable income almost never means wealth - what it usually means is people who work hard, do heaps of overtime and have no substantial investments/investment strategies that enable them to minimize their tax. I haven't looked at census data on incomes for years but the last time I did, the data showed that people in Broadmeadows (when it was the manufacturing urban fringe) had the highest average taxable incomes and people in Toorak had relatively low taxable incomes. There was only ever one reason that could be correct - and the reason had nothing whatsoever to do with "wealth".
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:24 am

The big difference between a family on $100k and $200k P4S is that those earning $200k will not qualify for one bit of government assistance. Those on $100k could qualify for some or all of the below government assistance.

Tax on $100k is $25k (+the employer pays $10.5k) - total tax = $35,500
Tax on $200k is $65k (+ the employer pays $21k) - total tax = $86,000

The family on $100k will be able to access;
Family Tax Benefit Part A
Family Tax Benefit Part B
Schoolkids bonus
Health Care card
Paid parental leave pay
Dad and Partner pay
Child care benefit
Jobs, Education and Training
Child Care Fee Assistance
Parenting Payment
Rent Assistance

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/co029-1509en.pdf

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:34 am

^ Yes, I accept that - but I think that tends to reinforce the fundamental proposition that people on $200K aren't "wealthy" - the definition of "wealthy" can't be that one gets paid enough income that one doesn't qualify anymore for government benefits.

The real "wealthy" receive (I nearly said "earn") that (and more) in a week.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:07 pm

So back to the stage 3 tax cuts. Eliminate them for those earning over $175,000 end of story. The issue of the politics lies as always in the perception. The economy simply can’t afford tax cuts to the relatively wealthier members of the public.

We need to re fashion tax such that Australia is no longer a mine for companies who pay little or no tax in Australia especially in relation to super profiteering.

That’s just the start.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Yes, I accept that - but I think that tends to reinforce the fundamental proposition that people on $200K aren't "wealthy" - the definition of "wealthy" can't be that one gets paid enough income that one doesn't qualify anymore for government benefits.

The real "wealthy" receive (I nearly said "earn") that (and more) in a week.

I agree with that.

I left Telstra 15 years ago. A mid level executive i supported back then earned $400k. That's 2006.

He had a wife, small child, nice house not far from me but by no means a Toorak mansion, a bar fridge in his office that had supermarket ham slices, cheese, bread, margarine and condiments and he would make his own lunch between meetings. Genuinely nice bloke who worked ridiculous hours.

The genuinely wealthy dont rely on a salary and PAYG tax

Well off or comfortable financially I'll concede, wealthy No.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:18 pm

Yep totally agree. And it’s exactly what I meant when I asked david to define exactly what he thinks wealthy means!
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:43 pm

David wrote:
I don't get a neat 7.6 hour day or get to switch off on evenings or weekends, and I'm on less than $50,000 at my main job. I'm not getting my violin out over that – I made a choice to work for an arts nonprofit and I know full well I could be earning two to three times as much doing the exact same job for a big company. But it is a reminder that wages very often bear little relation to how laborious your job is, how skilled you are or even the degree of responsibility you wield.

I totally agree with leaving room for aspiration and avoiding bracket creep. But the existing tax system hardly made that a problem, in my view. If anything, I'd like to see the tax rate going up to 75% for those on seven figures and some gradations in between. I don't think 45% for $180,000 is exorbitant at all.

Until you get there, then you'll realise how fkn criminal it is to basically work for 50% of your pay.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:04 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
I don't get a neat 7.6 hour day or get to switch off on evenings or weekends, and I'm on less than $50,000 at my main job. I'm not getting my violin out over that – I made a choice to work for an arts nonprofit and I know full well I could be earning two to three times as much doing the exact same job for a big company. But it is a reminder that wages very often bear little relation to how laborious your job is, how skilled you are or even the degree of responsibility you wield.

I totally agree with leaving room for aspiration and avoiding bracket creep. But the existing tax system hardly made that a problem, in my view. If anything, I'd like to see the tax rate going up to 75% for those on seven figures and some gradations in between. I don't think 45% for $180,000 is exorbitant at all.

Until you get there, then you'll realise how fkn criminal it is to basically work for 50% of your pay.

You might feel it, but you have to deal with it for your own good. Feelings aside, the bigger calculations mean there are no other practical options. There are fanciful and imaginary theories and propaganda, and exceptions such as capital and tax havens that get by on low tax rates, but there are no scale, workable, implementable options other than a progressive tax system.

You presumably already know this, but for the record a person who pays that tax rate does so to enable themselves to avail of an infrastructure and social quality that allows them to be productive enough to pay that tax rate. If everyone is a foraging peasant, there is no one skilled enough to even employ to create a decent society or economy.

Meanwhile, a 50% tax rate is still a gazillionth of a fraction of the entirety of the costs of the social infrastructure of a high quality society. There is also obviously a floor to how little people can subsist on without becoming unproductive or destructive, and that sets a minimum revenue requirement that needs to be paid by other social beneficiaries.

As I always say, on our own we couldn't afford a foot of highway, two minutes of a health system or a single financial regulation. And without those, we'd be living in a hut, riding horses and being treated with leeches by witch doctors on our death beds.

What would be criminal - criminally dumb - would be to think the entire joint can fall into generational underclass disrepair and those paying a 50% rate of tax would still have a decent life. They'd be dead in five minutes, whether at the hand of violence, misfortune or disease.

Aside from parasitic tax and capital havens which only exist because normal economies with progressive taxation systems fund them, it absolutely has to be this way, no matter how superior any one individual's earnings make them feel, or even no matter how hard one individual works.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:29 pm

Meanwhile there are family trusts and really good accountants who set up various offshoots and make magic happen.

This is not corporations or big business, it’s average people working 12 hour days, or 7 days a week.

The maximum Tex an individual should pay should be no more than 40%.

Since covid andthe crazy money doled out people don’t want to work. And then there is David, who whinges about being just into the next tier, and having to pay his Dept back, while freely admitting he could earn more, but in the same breathe expecting those who do to pay more tax than him. Talk about your cake and eat it!

I’m not just having a crack here, we all have choices, to have and when to have kids, to save for a house first, or rent, uni or a different path. 2 blue collar qualifications here, house first, kids later, no fancy cars or holidays til we could afford it, very minimal govt assistance ever, idont begrudge the choices of others, but entitlement pisses me off. One of my closest friends bleeds the system dry, it makes me sick.

Last edited by think positive on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:30 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:

Yep it’s bullshit

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:44 pm

^You can't expect others to duplicate your attributes though. There are so many unique characteristics and experiences that combine to make you who you are, and those things just can't be copied. You should be thankful for that uniqueness!

I found my way to a productive place, but I had to pursue my own path because I had no hope of ever being conventional. Now, I use the strengths far too many people tried to humiliate out of me by solving difficult problems for companies. But no thanks to anyone else, that's for sure.

We have to keep pathways and possibilities open for people so they can find their way. For some, that will mean a more rigid or conventional route, but plenty will need a different path that won't make sense at first glance. Brains, experiences, personalities and capabilities are just too diverse, and we can't blame people for being made differently.

On tax rates, the percentages are less important than the ability for people to live a decent and hopeful life, a necessity that underwrites a stable society. Then, the comes the task of incentivising people to work hard and innovate once that is assured. But nothing happens without overall stability first; that's an absolute given fact when you look at countries across the world; i.e., would you really want to live in most of them?

Obviously, if we can do more with a lower tax rate, I'm all for that, and consider such smart policy the point of politics. As David rightly says, though, most HQ societies are not low taxing, even though I have no doubt we can invest more cleverly. But talking about investing more cleverly and actually doing it are two different things.

As an example, imagine if we had spent more money readying society for the pandemic, which was always an extremely obvious global risk. (Just a reminder, Trump axed the agency in China monitoring virus outbreaks on the ground, although other countries shouldn't have been relying on that, although China did the deal with American researchers because of their pre-eminent position). Or, consider the pointless costly nonsense of Brexit here; or the insanely costly delay caused by the climate denial years; or the foolish, lazy dependence on global oil markets directly and openly manipulated by OPEC tyrants and thugs like Putin; or, the monumentally costly Iraq misadventure earlier this century.

Plenty of the very most costly and damaging decisions which have ultimately required taxes to be higher to pay for the clean up come from the very people who support political parties that blindly seek to reduce their own individual tax today at the expense of such outrageously poor decisions as those above. And everyone has to pay for those mistakes, even though I doubt David ever voted for them.

So, fingers point in multiple directions here.

Also, income is ultimately calculated in advance already bearing in mind tax rates (tax regimes are set ahead of tax collection), so what people earn after taxes is actually their market value, irrespective of how they 'feel' about it. Something like EBITDA is used in business analysis to isolate core operational profitability, but no one talks about personal income that way, no matter how much people imagine the government is taking away something that's 'theirs'. It never was 'theirs', and has already been factored into socioeconomic settings based on an earlier democratic and legislative process.

So, moaning about tax is ultimately moaning about both markets and democracies, which are both built on and sustained by progressive taxation (as I say, except in weird capital and tax havens which live off normal economies), and which I don't think anyone here really wants to swap out for something else in a hurry. So, what feels bad isn't necessarily bad, and can't be changed anyhow without making everyone worse off.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:21 am

think positive wrote:
And then there is David, who whinges about being just into the next tier, and having to pay his Dept back, while freely admitting he could earn more, but in the same breathe expecting those who do to pay more tax than him. Talk about your cake and eat it!

The key thing you're missing here is that I wasn't whingeing (and I thought I made that clear in my original post). I only brought up my situation because I thought it was a relevant example of disconnect between salaries and skill/workload. I'm hardly a rarity; there are many, many people out there who are underpaid working in the arts, academia and nonprofits. And some of them do make the choice at some point in their careers to trade in a job they find meaningful and beneficial to the world for one that gets them off the poverty line and enables some basic material comforts.

I know convincing a capitalist that that's a problem is like talking to a brick wall, but I do feel we need to think long and hard as a society about whether something's gone terribly wrong for that to even be such a binary choice in the first place. Because it doesn't have to be that way.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:56 am

But why is the disconnect between skills/workload and salaries related to taxation?

My view is that Taxation is purely how governments raise revenue to pay for services, it's not about income redistribution or fixing inequities. They shouldn't take more than they need in the first place and it should be linked to salaries so those who can least afford it pay the least and those who can most afford it pay the most, which currently happens.

One of those services is Centrelink payments to people.

Income tax is only one of the taxes in place. Wealthy people get slugged more in stamp duty because they buy more expensive houses, pay more in GST because they buy more expensive stuff, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: