Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rucking Duties

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:
What about the time Jake Niall suggested we were going to use Rupert Wills as a ruckman? How did he keep his job after that?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wills-may-be-collingwood-s-back-up-ruck-plan-20190806-p52ej3.html

Who? Niall or Wills?

In Jake's defence...

1] Buckley and the rest of Collingwood's selection committee once decided not to pick a ruckman against Essendon and play Nick Maxwell in the ruck. Carlisle then played like Wayne Carey.

You must remember that game. How can we forget the horror? Question

2] Teague made Jack Silvagni ruck part of the game against Grundy... Silvagni proceeded to totally humiliate Grundy.

K wrote:
Teague played the dwarf "ruckman" Jack Silvagni on Grundy. If Teague had any worries about Grundy, he could have played one of his star KPPs on him. But he didn't 'cos his KPPs are more valuable playing as KPPs.

And it paid off. Silvagni won the hit-out count 3-1, but in practice Silvagni won their contests 5-0.

Q3 10:15 ball up; Silvagni gets HO to advantage with left hand (though Grundy's right hand was somewhere close too); HO goes left on bounce to Dow, who gets clear and kicks.

Q3 10:37 throw in on 50m arc; Grundy works his way in front, double palms HO at face level to ground in front of them; Silvagni follows up and kicks it off the ground about 10m forward I50.

Q3 11:03 throw in on 50m arc; ball is low when it reaches them; Silvagni gets HO with left hand; Dow gets a free kick, so it automatically counts as HO "to advantage".

Q4 12:18 centre bounce slightly to Grundy's favour; Silvagni runs over the centre line and gets HO with right hand, forward to edge of circle; C. Brown is there in front of Petrevski-Seton; Brown is tackled; Carlton #7 tries to pick up; ball spills to Walsh on the outside; Walsh gets centre clearance to the leading McKay I50; McKay kicks the goal.

Q4 14:07 centre bounce slightly to Grundy's favour again; the ball seems to ricochet forward off Grundy's turned head (he is not given hit out in the stats); the ricochet goes straight to Silvagni; Silvagni kicks I50 (so in the stats, Silvagni gets: contested possession, ground ball get, effective kick, effective disposal, centre clearance); but this time Carlton do not goal.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:09 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
We had one

Jolly is a bit old these days Wink

Yeah, Eddie, I see the emoticon, but...

I reckon you're overlooking a very good ruckman we had after Jolly's time:
Jarrod Witts.

As J. Gabelich wrote on afl.com.au yesterday:
"Gold Coast co-captain Jarrod Witts plays off-Broadway and has been perennially overlooked for a spot [in the All Australian team] in the past, despite producing stellar seasons in the sunshine state."

The CD rankings have Witts 4th among ruckman, ahead of Gawn (5th):
1. Tim English
2. Rowan Marshall
3. Kieren Briggs
4. Jarrod Witts
5. Max Gawn
6. Sean Darcy
7. Reilly O'Brien
8. Todd Goldstein
9. Oscar McInerney

But on that list, Witts is clear number 1 for hit outs to advantage per game. 12.6! Yep, 12.6!! O'Brien is 11.5. Darcy 11.1.

Remember when we traded out one of the Rat Pack? Some folks said we traded the wrong one.

Same with ruckman. We kept the wrong one, traded out the wrong one.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 am

My rucking duties today included cleaning the bathroom and toilet.

Oh, those rucking duties!

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:46 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
I'd have it the other way around, Cox 60%, Cameron 40%

I think this has to be the way forward. Cameron simply looks lame at the moment.
Even his marking prowess has deserted him.
He just doesn't seem to be able to launch, as a result opposing ruckman are all over him, and when it comes to pack marking his leap appears to have been gelded.

Thoughts? Simply not recovered from that R3 MCL injury? Laurie's medical credentials are as solid as Dr Nick Riviera's, so does anyone have experience with these?
When there is good clinical and/or objective evidence of healing of the MCL, mostly 5 to 7 weeks after the injury. But he hasn't been the same since his return. Or is it something else?

DT 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:19 pm

Cox and Cameron will play Week 1
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:24 pm

DT wrote:
Cox and Cameron will play Week 1

We’re a better side with both playing
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:41 pm

Well... McFly said something like: We're a better side when both are playing well.
But if both are playing badly...? Pity that Cameron's played much worse after his injury than before.
M. Lloyd reckons Cox should play... but that's 'cos he's worried about Cameron's form. And he liked Cox's ruckwork against Brissy.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:11 pm

I like Cox and main ruck with Frampton as back up.
Cameron can pinch hit only and could be a possible forward option at best.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:35 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I’d recruit a ruckman.

We had one

And for the greater good we shipped him off.

blybo 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:37 pm

90 nice wrote:
I like Cox and main ruck with Frampton as back up.

Cameron can pinch hit only and could be a possible forward option at best.

Horses for courses. Suspect Frampton will make way for Moore or Murphy. Gawn, Cameron and Cox have all shown this season they play best as the sole ruckman, getting a chop out for a few minutes each 1/4 to save some gas.

Melbourne will go in with Gawn and Van Rooen pinch hitting. I say we go with Cox and McStay pinch hitting, as Van Rooen is not super tall and still inexperienced.

Cox has been better than Cameron the last 2 weeks, and is certainly in better marking form than Cameron for the important down the line kick out of defense.
Boot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:57 pm

Collingwood will definitely go with Cox and Cameron. That combination has worked best for the entire season as neither is dominant enough to go with just one, especially against Gawn. Should give us an advantage if / when van Rooyen is used in the ruck.
I think its a choice between playing Cameron or Markov in the starting 22 with Markov getting the role of Sub allowing Moore, Murphy and McCreery to come into the 22 to replace Frampton, Markov and Macrae from last weeks team.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:01 pm

Boot wrote:
Collingwood will definitely go with Cox and Cameron. That combination has worked best for the entire season as neither is dominant enough to go with just one, especially against Gawn. Should give us an advantage if / when van Rooyen is used in the ruck.
I think its a choice between playing Cameron or Markov in the starting 22 with Markov getting the role of Sub allowing Moore, Murphy and McCreery to come into the 22 to replace Frampton, Markov and Macrae from last weeks team.

If we're bringing in Moore, Murphy and McCreery, then we have to drop another player, in addition to MaCrae and Frampton. Making Markov the sub still requires we drop someone else.
Boot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:03 pm

piffdog wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I’d recruit a ruckman.

We had one

And for the greater good we shipped him off.

Collingwood ruck stocks look adequate for the next few years with Cox and Cameron both contracted for the next two years till end of 2025 and with Aiden Begg and Oscar Steene both youngsters showing some promising signs (albeit Begg is too short for an AFL Ruckman in my opinion). The club has also got the 212 cm Cat B rookie Alex Condon signed in case his basketball career doesn't progress as he would like.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:53 pm

Will be a tough call who to leave out for our All Australian ruckman Nick Daicos in the prelim? 😂😂
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:53 am

Interesting article in the AFL news this morning about the change in ruck rules that has influenced the first 5.5rounds. Pretty much killing tap rucks. Not saying this is entirely responsible for Cox’s dismal start to the year but it could explain a part of it, the bit where he’s getting pushed off by the physical ruck (a la Meek) and then giving away frees. He can’t run with the mids so he’s less effective round the ground. We’ve seen that too.

Sounds like Begg could be a reasonable option at AFL level the even if he’s not tapping at the ruck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22   

Jump to: