Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reaching out to former Nicks BB posters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

G'Day Tony, great to hear from you and sounds like a brilliant lifestyle. There's a home DIY and a Tree/Seachange thread in VPT if you ever feel the urge to share your latest adventures.

Also, I've still got your book, it's on the shelf, PM me your mailing address and I'll post it back if you like.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:35 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
^^^^

Dear me, I hope he fully recovers soon. Certainly my best wishes to him.

BTW, my all time favourite Nick’s poster was Magpie Greg. Having also met him, he is a decent guy who loves Collingwood as much as anyone I know. I wish he returns, he will greatly enrich the discussion here.

Lazza, comrade, hes n Twitter mate, he often likes my political posts, yeh nice bloke, often omments on anythng Magpies there on that site. Smile

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:43 pm

Oh great Piesnchess, thanks comrade.

Are you going on Friday? I’m thinking about it.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:30 pm

Tannin wrote:
G'day all.

I'm just popping in on my way past. I don't think I've got anything much to contribute these days as I've stopped following the football - partly for lifestyle reasons (= too much else to do!) and partly because I hated the way the club sacked so many good, committed star players a few years back. That really stuck in my craw and I lost interest at that point.

But a big g'day to all and good luck to Nick's, one of the great discussion boards. Long may it thrive!

Life after football is good. We are living on 20 acres in the beautiful Huon Valley 40 minutes south-west of Hobart. We have ducks and fruit trees; the neighbour puts his sheep on our big paddock and slips us a side of lamb every so often; lots of native birds, wallabies round the house, Eastern Quolls every night and a platypus lives in the dam. Sometimes we go out but I don't know why.

Anyway, hello Nicksters and good luck to you all. Anyone passing through down our way, send me a PM.

Tony

Great to hear from you Tony. Sounds like you've managed to establish a great lifestyle. Spending time and energy on relationships and the people you love is far more important than being overly fixated on footy.

I still love following the Pies, but in truth, I'm nowhere near as committed a follower as I once was. Age does that to you I guess. The increasing corporatisation and commodification of sport (which is nothing new of course), has diminished the unbridled passion I once had for my beloved Magpies, growing up in and around Collingwood.

I still love the Pies and get to as many games as I can, but I guess I'm not as exuberant in my celebrations of wins or as depressed at our losses as I once was. Having recently retired, like you it seems, I've embarked on a new lifestyle, spending a few months each year based in Paris, where I am now. Thus, I'll have to watch our first 3-4 games online from here before returning home in time for the ANZAC day game.

In a couple of months I'll be moving into my new home, in Johnston Street Collingwood, where I'll have a view overlooking Victoria Park. For me, part of my passion for the Pies was destroyed when we abandoned our home ground. For all the thrills of big crowds, the 'G' has never, and will never, feel like home.

Anyway, I'd better stop ranting on now. It's great to read a post from you again Tony. Hope to read a few more, now and again. Cheers
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:25 pm

When Stui is voted off the island or has his 7th vacc the people shall return.
Agree with Damo.
Got too woke.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:44 pm

Tannin wrote:
G'day all.
I'm just popping in on my way past.
Tony

Nice to hear from you, Tannin!

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:02 pm

Tannin wrote:
G'day all.

I'm just popping in on my way past. I don't think I've got anything much to contribute these days as I've stopped following the football - partly for lifestyle reasons (= too much else to do!) and partly because I hated the way the club sacked so many good, committed star players a few years back. That really stuck in my craw and I lost interest at that point.

But a big g'day to all and good luck to Nick's, one of the great discussion boards. Long may it thrive!

Life after football is good. We are living on 20 acres in the beautiful Huon Valley 40 minutes south-west of Hobart. We have ducks and fruit trees; the neighbour puts his sheep on our big paddock and slips us a side of lamb every so often; lots of native birds, wallabies round the house, Eastern Quolls every night and a platypus lives in the dam. Sometimes we go out but I don't know why.

Anyway, hello Nicksters and good luck to you all. Anyone passing through down our way, send me a PM.

Tony

Tannin! Its been an age! I still love your tag line as a keen fan of the Oxford apostrophe.

Thats sounds very idyllic indeed, half your luck!

All the best

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:22 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for the PM and link to his thread.

I think the answer to why so many have left comes down to a few things.

For me I do a lot of my internetting on my phone during my work commute. The Nick's experience is poor to say the least on mobile devices.

Social media has changed the way we communicate.

I came on here a while back and asked if Nick's supported the Tapatalk app. Sadly it seems not. Something like that or better mobile browser support would bring me back to regularly logging in and contributing.
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:11 pm

think positive wrote:
Yes and no, not too long ago the abuse was out of hand at times, and I for one don’t miss that at all.

Abuse of what? Our players or other posters?
I've been away for a while... Very Happy
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:23 pm

stoid wrote:
think positive wrote:
Yes and no, not too long ago the abuse was out of hand at times, and I for one don’t miss that at all.

Abuse of what? Our players or other posters?
I've been away for a while... Very Happy

Others posters

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:11 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
When Stui is voted off the island or has his 7th vacc the people shall return.
Agree with Damo.
Got too woke.

huh? Confused

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:03 am

punkologist wrote:
I came on here a while back and asked if Nick's supported the Tapatalk app. Sadly it seems not. Something like that or better mobile browser support would bring me back to regularly logging in and contributing.

Indeed Nick's survives on creaking old technology and we simply don't have the funds for a redesign. On top of that, we will shortly have to start paying for the servers.

We will likely limp along until the last poster exits the building, recognising that social media has evolved a long way since Nick's started 20+ years ago...
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
punkologist wrote:

Indeed Nick's survives on creaking old technology and we simply don't have the funds for a redesign. On top of that, we will shortly have to start paying for the servers.

We will likely limp along until the last poster exits the building, recognising that social media has evolved a long way since Nick's started 20+ years ago...

hmm that's sad. I'm a computer programmer. I wonder If I can be of assistance. I don't really know anything about phpBB but I don't imagine it's rocket science for a programmer to understand.

I imagine the site can be upgraded/migrated to the latest version of phpB and the database migrated.

If Nick's does die, hopefully it can be reborn in another service. like maybe a reddit subredit.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:38 am

Leave it as is, please. Brilliant in its simplicity and minus all the bloatware and advertising garbage other forums have
foxychick Gemini

jay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:00 pm

I finally figured out my username and password but the email I have no longer exists ha ha yay love nicks! Is still the greatest pie site of them all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: