Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

First aid & fire training.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you trained?
Yes, up to date training in both.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Up to date in 1st aid but not fire training.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Competent in fire fighting but not first aid.
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Had previous training but not up to date.
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Never been trained in either.
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:44 pm
Post subject: First aid & fire training.Reply with quote

I just completed the on-line component of my St Johns - Provide 1st Aid training. I have the practical assessment on Wednesday. I've done the training a few times over the years, with regular refresher courses completed, but thought I should do the whole course again.

In the mining sector, fire fighting training and 1st aid are compulsory and regular refreshers done on-site for both.

I remember a few years ago, I was home on R n R, Kel and myself were in the lounge watching a movie when the lights started to flicker and the air con died.
I went out the front to check the meter box, when I opened it, the rush of air helped the smouldering board start flaming. I had a fire extinguisher out the back, on the wall near the BBQ. Ran out there, grabbed that and, after 2 attempts, extinguished the fire.

After it was all sorted, I was talking to Kel and Jess (youngest daughter 22) about what had happened and how it was lucky I was at home. I quizzed Jess and she said she would have grabbed the hose!

I was shocked that she had never been trained and had no idea, Kellys knowledge was also pretty limited.

I went down to bunnings and bought 6 fire extinguishers and had a family training session. Lit a fire out the front and got everyone to put it out.

They all now know the 2 locations of our fire extinguishers and now have 'some' idea on how to put a fire out.

Surely, putting out fires and basic first aid knowledge should be part of our education curriculum?

Who would be comfortable tackling a fire and/or providing first aid in an emergency situation?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done first aid, did a bit of fire training years ago when there were all different kids o extinguishers and you had to make sure you used the right one.

Nowadays the standard line for office workers is don't try tp put it out, ring the alarm and GTF out. At home, no problem.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:57 pm

Yeah I've had plenty of training in both and very up to date.

They still haven't found a way to make first aid interesting though Laughing At least now we do most of it online and the practical session is only half a day, a bit more bearable than the old 2 full days in a classroom...

Some schools do some basic fire training as part of their curriculum, not sure if its more the VET pathway? But they do a whole term of weekly sessions then get to head to the training ground and play with fire for a day, it's a fun day for them and run by their local CFA volunteers.

I have also seen my old school putting up posts recently about their students getting their first aid certificates so that's obviously offered as well.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:05 pm

That's great Ed!
There's none that I know of, here in WA, in schools.

St Johns - Provide 1st Aid course, the one required in our industry, is 5hrs (or thereabouts) on-line, then 8hrs in the class for practical.

They (St Johns) have a good "First responder" app in the app store.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Wow, that was intense!
The trainer was very onto it, all assessments had to be done to her standard. Mind on the job all day long, actually went over the advised finish time.
She was thorough and a very good presenter. Great stuff to learn and keep in touch with.
Hopefully I never have to use it, but if I do, any patient is going to stand a better chance of survival than they would have yesterday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: