Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Indigenous Voice to Parliament

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Wonderful clip. Thankyou for posting.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:36 am

I wonder if the voice had been successful, would the kid my wife is supposed to be looking after at school, have got his attendance above the 3 days attended so far this year?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:49 pm

Quite possibly – this is one area in particular that could presumably do with a far more integrated approach. But we’ll never know now.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:53 pm

^

There's lots of reasons why kids don't go to school and 90+% of them come back to the parents.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

There's lots of reasons why kids don't go to school and 90+% of them come back to the parents.

Exactly.

There's no way it would of made a difference.

Education is the key to progress and the non attendance at schools is unprecedented.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:07 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

And what's up with the parents then? Surely we have to dig deeper than that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:37 pm

What do you mean, dig deeper?

As I said, there's lots of different reasons.Poverty, cultural, lack of education, mental health, substance abuse are just some.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:50 pm

Skids’ assertion is that the Voice to Parliament would have done nothing to aid school attendance, and that it’s merely the parents’ fault. I just thinks that’s incredibly superficial. If there’s a lack of will or capacity for parents to ensure their children get to school, then that suggests bigger policy problems of the exact kind that the Voice was designed to address.

I understand you may agree with that at least in part, but the trouble with saying "it’s the parents’ fault" implies that the solution is on the individual level, not structural.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:40 pm

It is on the individual level in the main, and each individual case will be different with a different combination of factors contributing.

There are cases in remote communities where it's a problem across the whole community. That's not an issue for the Voice, that's a situation requiring localised consultation with the community and state government money to support solutions.

The Structural elements are the education system in general that lets kids slip through the cracks despite the best efforts of many hard working caring teachers, and the lack of funding to case workers who work with the parents because more often than not the lack of school attendance is just a symptom of bigger issues at home.

I supported the Voice, but it was never going to be a silver bullet.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:31 pm

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Exactly.

There's no way it would of made a difference.

Education is the key to progress and the non attendance at schools is unprecedented.

You're absolutely right Skids. I mean it makes no sense. Why would you actually involve those directly impacted by a policy around school retention in the design and implementation process? And why would you give them any input into evaluating whether it works or not? Just crazy stuff...
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:11 pm

If the truth be told our wonderful lifestyle including schools, hospitals, roads, entertainment, food etc is earnt off the backs of the poorest countries and peoples of the world, and we will always look the other way or make excuses for it because no one really wants to face the fact that given the opportunity to push a button and give up the luxuries of 1st world to save the poorest and make for a more equitable world, that button would only gather dust.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:05 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

And what's up with the parents then? Surely we have to dig deeper than that.

What's up with the parents?.... maybe you can tell us?

The Mum rocked up on day 1 of the school year. Obviously has alcohol and substance abuse issues. She poured out this story about how her son was going to attend school and 'not turn out like me'. The boy is 6, wears a nappy, which he rips off after filling it, can't spell his name and can't count to 3.
Her main concern was getting home for the new fridge that 'better come this morning'. She was aggressive toward staff and other parents.

He showed up on two more days.

They live locally in a house (when repaired) worth circa $800k, there's 2 late model commodores and a prado out the front. Empty cans and rubbish cover the front yard. Just can't get the kids (5) to school.

There's been some kids over the past 25 years that Kels worked at the school that have done reasonably well... until around grade 5 or 6. Then the older siblings direct them away from school and into shoplifting.
The girl with the mist potential, she now has a tik tok page which shows her using drugs, picking fights and bashing random girls in the city and at train stations.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:49 pm

So we're talking deep dysfunctions that get passed down through generations. Everyone acknowledges that these exist, but it seems a pity in retrospect that a lot of voters just assumed, like you (for some reason), that there's nothing that Indigenous people themselves could possibly suggest to make things better – rather than recognising dysfunction like what you describe as the actual product of decades of top-down policy that hasn't worked.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:57 pm

^

He's not suggesting that there's nothing that Indigenous people could suggest to fix it, the point you miss is that you don't need The Voice to make that happen at a local community level.

Is this a one of case, unique in the area? If yes get community services and case workers onto it, liaise with people in the community to find out what has worked before.

If it's endemic in the community, organise a community consultation group to get thoughts and feedback.

The Voice was to make representations to FEDERAL government on policies etc pertaining to First Nations Peoples. This kind of thing is a state and community issue.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:43 pm

Whether or not that's the case – and I don't know if I agree that there's nothing federal as opposed to state/local government can do for broader issues suggested by cases like this – the clear subtext here seems to be that the parents are to blame, that they're greedy (see references to multiple cars in the driveway) and irresponsible, and that nothing structural will change things like that for the better. If there are any suggestions about community/state-based solutions to be found reading between the lines then I'm not seeing it; and at any rate, the clear suggestion in the post that started the exchange near the top of the page was that issues like this show that the Voice would have been useless.

So I'm not sure if Skids thinks he's agreeing with you or you think you're agreeing with him, but I get the impression you're making fundamentally different points here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 30 of 31   

Jump to: