Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Round 21 - Magpies v. Demons.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
If I’m the coach, I’m telling MacRae we’re preparing you to be the heir apparent to Adams and the handover slowly kicks in from 2023 onwards. None of this planning guarantees success of course but MacRae still strikes me as a work in progress who needs to keep working hard and playing VFL games in order to break into the senior side once again. With Adams out, may yet be this week.

It's at these times one needs the youngsters to understand some of the many
Mathousian proverbs.
Macrae needs to be the Ox.
Perhaps a pilgramage in the off-season for the emerging group Henry, Macrae, T.Brown, Begg etc. to whatever mountain Mick is sitting atop, and gain some wisdom.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:53 pm

watt price tully wrote:
FWIW his brother at Footisgray was a slow burner at first; look at him now. VFL is all about development too.

He wasn't at all - he received 10 Brownlow votes in his second season - all before he turned 20.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
FWIW his brother at Footisgray was a slow burner at first; look at him now. VFL is all about development too.

He wasn't at all - he received 10 Brownlow votes in his second season - all before he turned 20.

Mea Culpa - I stand connected sorry corrected.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm

So Grundy is definitely not playing this week in the Firsts. According to the coach in his regular Wednesday arvo interview with Andrews Maher and Gaze, Grundy pulled up a bit sore post the VFL game and aggravated a sore ankle (or something like that)

McCrae the coach noted Grundy won’t be available then for the firsts but might be available for the VFL (that was the inference)

mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:00 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
rambler wrote:
For mine,

INS Checkers, Carmichael, Kelly (if Howe Out)
OUTS Adams, Bianco (Sub)

Note on Kelly, remember Ash Johnson wasn't exactly tearing it up B4 his selection. All Kelly has to focus on is playing on his man and let Darcy and Murph do the intercepts

Remember that Kelly has been in the seniors before maybe 2-3 times and each time, quickly got injured.
That's a pattern and a worry with Kelly. Maybe that's why he's taking his time in the VFL.
He could be promoted in good time on strong form.

It's bit of a stretch to say a Fractured Collar bone and a dislocated elbow is a "Pattern". Goes in hard .
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:00 pm

watt price tully wrote:
So Grundy is definitely not playing this week in the Firsts. According to the coach in his regular Wednesday arvo interview with Andrews Maher and Gaze, Grundy pulled up a bit sore post the VFL game and aggravated a sore ankle (or something like that)

McCrae the coach noted Grundy won’t be available then for the firsts but might be available for the VFL (that was the inference)

Yep, that was the gist. Won't play AFL, might play VFL depending how he pulls up.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:57 pm

This is one of those games where there can be no passengers for an entire half, as with last week. (Thinking of our wings/outside mids last week, and to a lesser extent small forwards and half backs).

Checkers back alongside Johnson changes the forward equation markedly. I half suspect Henry might be given the nod over Bianco as well. That's no reflection at all on Bianco, it's just a hunch we might look to stretch their backline and free up Jamie to put more time in up the ground, especially in Adams' absence. It's easier for that to happen with the aerial threat Henry poses, while it makes sense to keep Henry in the firsts mix, with a few games starting this week the best way of doing that.

I'm also expecting more run and carry from the likes of Maynard and Noble from the back half, and I reckon we'll have learned a bit as to how to optimise Nicky D, who was somewhat wasted on Powell-Pepper, as good as it was for his development. We need to ensure Maynard can carry some serious metres this week, with wrangling that part of the puzzle.

Naturally, how we utilise the prodigious talents of the Daicos boys will matter a lot, and we can't have Sidey and WHE going missing for any length of time this week because that gives the opposition far more leeway to target them. Lippa has worked back into form, so I'm less concerned about him in this regard than I might have been a few weeks ago. de Goey is crucial any way you dice this team, but a strong day in clearances for him and Pendles matters even more with Adams out.

Carmichael is obviously a strong chance to get a full guernsey, with Bianco or perhaps even Madge the medical sub to provide backline coverage depending on whether Henry is reconsidered (in fact, you wonder if Madge having been played forward of late might makes him even more likely as a medical sub as the thought might be that he can provide cover at either end; VFL watchers might have a better sense of this).

I reckon Cameron, Lippa and Q showed good signs last week in terms of their own form, while Coxy is stringing together a really solid run and loves the big stage, and de Goey had a massive impact last week, so the direction of form for those five bodes well.

Last edited by pietillidie on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:57 pm

mudlark wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:
rambler wrote:
For mine,

OUTS Adams, Bianco (Sub)

Note on Kelly, remember Ash Johnson wasn't exactly tearing it up B4 his selection. All Kelly has to focus on is playing on his man and let Darcy and Murph do the intercepts

Remember that Kelly has been in the seniors before maybe 2-3 times and each time, quickly got injured.
That's a pattern and a worry with Kelly. Maybe that's why he's taking his time in the VFL.

It's bit of a stretch to say a Fractured Collar bone and a dislocated elbow is a "Pattern". Goes in hard .

Other players go in hard too, week in week out, and don't get injured.
I just think some players don't protect themselves very well ...and are more prone to injury.
There's lots of examples of this if you look.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:21 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
mudlark wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:
rambler wrote:
For mine,

OUTS Adams, Bianco (Sub)

Other players go in hard too, week in week out, and don't get injured.
I just think some players don't protect themselves very well ...and are more prone to injury.
There's lots of examples of this if you look.

Here’s a perfect example. Brisbane playing Freo in Perth, if memory serves.Micheal.Voss goes in hard and snaps his leg. What’s your point??
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Nah that’s crap dude. That’s typical of blaming the victim. Part of playing competitive footy at any level is getting injured. Every season my son played, he got injuries during the season. As a ruckman he did protect himself as was feasible but it was what it was 🙄
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:28 pm

Bloody heck I'm nervous about this match.

Outright second on the ladder up for grabs.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:39 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Bloody heck I'm nervous about this match.

Outright second on the ladder up for grabs.

You oughta be nervous. This will be our toughest game for the year so far. It's a genuine litmus test of our Premiership aspirations. We don't even have to win, but we need to show we can match it with the best.

Pies by 17 points.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 pm

Because we've only pantsed them once this year, so far? It would certainly be great to win - but a team that's won 10 in a row is going to lose one here or there. It doesn't mean anything in the larger scheme of things, save to the extent it might weaken our chances of finishing 3rd.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:25 pm

I’ll be shocked (and more than pleasantly surprised) if “we” can beat Melbourne this week.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:34 pm

I am really looking forward to finding out what our selections are for this game.
I think we must replace Adams with a midfielder, given the quality of Melbourne's midfield. P2016 reports that Tyler Brown has taken the quality of his game in the vfl to a new level, and appears to be accumulating more muscle mass each week. McCrae has also been playing in good form in the VFL. Previously I posted that I thought that replacing Tay with McCrae would be a great move, to see what he is capable of. But in the light of the knowledge that Tyler Brown is ripping it up in the VFL, and is already AFL experienced, maybe should be the one to come in to provide physical presence against Oliver, Petracca, et al. Maybe Finn McCrae is building up for 2023, and Tyler Brown is capable right now of a greater impact.

Either way, I think one of the two must come in.
As for Carmichael, I don't think he has been playing as an inside mid, and is therefore not a like for like replacement for Tay. And I think that for this game we definitely need a like for like replacement.
We definitely need to include Checkers.
So, this means someone has to make way. I think Bianco is the one, unfortunately.
I would include Carmichael as the sub for his flexibility and ability to float forward, take a mark and kick accurately.
So my changes are:
Out Adams (inj), Bianco (forced unfortunately)
In Tyler brown/Finn McCrae (selectors to make the call), Checkers
Sub: Carmichael
No room yet for Ollie Henry. Needs to prove in the reserves that he can match his marking brilliance with high intensity pressure. Also, Ash Johnson is playing really well.
Our chances: as always, this team has chances. The belief, and the inner drive to win, imbues our team. Dees might be favourite, but I have by now faith in our team. We may not win, but we will go close. Love this team.
Go Pies!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: