Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

My coach is bigger than your coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn. Rolling Eyes
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:23 am

I don't know why this has to be so binary. He seems to have either been the worst coach ever or a supremely unlucky genius depending on your view point. We lost a bunch of very tight games last year, and this year we've won them all. Reverse that and he might still be coaching.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:21 am

schuey07 wrote:
Your talking about the same Buckley that said we didn’t have the cattle to play the game plan we are now. We wasted 10 years on this guy, he made countless players leave the club for the biggest dud coach the club has ever seen. We handed him a premiership team and he couldn’t do it with them. A complete dud. I never liked him as a player or as a coach. One man isn’t bigger than the club.

For Buckley we lost - Shaw, Didak, Thomas, Wellingham, Dawes, Davis, Cloke and many others I’ve missed. Not to mention players that left when he came over as a player.

With the exceptions Davis (who probably had one more year) and Shaw, all were cooked when he let them go. This team was in decline after 2011. It barely made it over the Hawks in the prelim and was smashed in the GF in 2011, then lost in prelim a year later and needed to be rebuilt.

If Wells had stood up, or Scharenberg and Freeman yielded the return expected of 2x top 10 picks, he’d be a premiership coach.

Then last year he brought on Henry, McCreery, Ginnivan and others. He was not perfect, and he was unlucky, but today is built on his yesterday, plus something special the new coach has brought to today.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:05 am

^ Well said, and i might add, Bucks never really had a fully fit list to choose from, chronic long term injuries dogged his entire coaching career, massive injury lists to key players. To call him our worst coach ever is just insane, sorrry that belongs to Tony Shaw, who took us to a wooden spoon, great player, but a terrible coach. Bucks did his best with what he had fit and available, and gave it his best shot, but sadly, just fell short in 2018. A sldiing doors moment in the clubs history, and his. He left with dignity, haters can hate him, but i wont ever, he was a champion player, one of our best ever. Im done now, i wont participate any longer in this discussion, not with two bob fools who pass judgement on a club icon, and smear his name with innuendo and lies. Im done, dont bother replying, i wont read it, im done.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:10 am

Well said pnc.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:25 am

I neither know, nor care. I'm just very pleased he has gone - because I found the gamestyle so thoroughly unwatchable that he turned me from a Legends member to a guy who hasn't been to a game of live football for 7 years. That was a good effort - if you'd told me, before 2012, that there would ever be a time I wouldn't want to be the first into the ground every match day, I would have said you were crazy. That's a legacy, of sorts.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:45 am

The title really needs neh neh neh-neh neh added to it
jatsad 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:01 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
No he did not, thats rubbish, you can denigrate a club champion all you like, one kick away from a flag robbed by an umpire shocker decision, and by the way, Freo took off, thats a joke, the got pulverised by the Dees last night, so looks like thats your theory gone out the window good and proper. Fly himself appreciated Bucks contribution, and id take his word over yours any day of the week. Rolling Eyes Surprised

Never denigrated him as a PLAYER, so don't give me that. His coaching record, apart from the 2 years Longmuir and Boyd were there, were ordinary. Disassembled a premiership team by casting off those he didn't see fit.
Way too defensive as a coach with no idea of attack, that was very, very obvious. His aversion to recruiting tall forwards in favour of numerous attempts at a hybrid forward ruckmen were laughable. We are still suffering with that.

No doubt he was a champion player, but sadly, not a coach.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:10 pm

I’m pretty sure 2018 was the only one of Buckley’s 10 years the club didn’t go backwards from the year before.

The whole football department was a debacle during his tenure.
Crimson Mask 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote (in another thread):
In my opinion, McRae's contribution isn't aptly captured just by the results - howsoever dramatically improved they may be. The team is, in addition, infinitely better to watch under the new game plan - not just because they're winning more but because the new approach allows players to express themselves and demonstrate their flair. Previously, Collingwood could not expect to be competitive unless it won the stoppages and the contested possessions handsomely. It was dour, hideous stuff and it wore the good players down - there was nothing at all to take away from a Collingwood game unless the team won.

Now, we have genuine clips for the highlights reel every game and from a variety of players. In short, Collingwood is watchable, again.

this x 100000000000000
Illustrates in a nutshell why Buckley was a shit coach.
Structured the team to within an inch of their life.
Routinely overcoached
And most importantly sucked the joy and spark out of his side.

Although not a student of psychology, I feel that there's a direct correlation between playing attacking football and belief, self confidence, self esteem, positivity and contentment.

Under the uber conservative, risk averse and negative Buckley game plan, I firmly believe that it had an adverse impact on mindset, self belief and self worth. Sort of like having the players believe that they have to play in this fashion as they're not good enough to play with flair and instinctively.

The fact that McRae has been able to seamlessly integrate an attacking game plan into this team, suggests that they have far more talent than Buckley ever gave them credit for, and reflects badly on Nathan's capabilities as a coach.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:03 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
^ Well said, and i might add, Bucks never really had a fully fit list to choose from, chronic long term injuries dogged his entire coaching career, massive injury lists to key players. To call him our worst coach ever is just insane, sorrry that belongs to Tony Shaw, who took us to a wooden spoon, great player, but a terrible coach. Bucks did his best with what he had fit and available, and gave it his best shot, but sadly, just fell short in 2018. A sldiing doors moment in the clubs history, and his. He left with dignity, haters can hate him, but i wont ever, he was a champion player, one of our best ever. Im done now, i wont participate any longer in this discussion, not with two bob fools who pass judgement on a club icon, and smear his name with innuendo and lies. Im done, dont bother replying, i wont read it, im done.

Right on the button Piesnchess. There will always be Buckley haters and so be it. We can move on and let them be.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:27 pm

Bucks won 10 in a row in his first season so has fly this year.

Wanna compare the 2 teams?

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:33 pm

schuey07 wrote:

For Buckley we lost - Shaw, Didak, Thomas, Wellingham, Dawes, Davis, Cloke and many others I’ve missed. Not to mention players that left when he came over as a player.

Shaw was a brat, Didak was at the end of his career (no other club picked him up), Thomas was crippled and wanted money we weren’t prepared to pay, Wellingham was flaky, Dawes do SFA at Melbourne, Davis I would have liked to stay, Travis had PTSD and did nothing at the Dogs.

You can not like Bucks all you like but don’t make shit up and claim it’s chocolate.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:42 pm

dalyc wrote:
schuey07 wrote:

Shaw was a brat, Didak was at the end of his career (no other club picked him up), Thomas was crippled and wanted money we weren’t prepared to pay, Wellingham was flaky, Dawes do SFA at Melbourne, Davis I would have liked to stay, Travis had PTSD and did nothing at the Dogs.

You can not like Bucks all you like but don’t make shit up and claim it’s chocolate.

Touche! Cool
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:20 pm

Here's the 2012 list of 18 players who actually took to the park for at least 20 games for Collingwood that season (listed from most - 25 - to least - 20 - games). I've bolded the players who would certainly get a game in the present side on their then form:

Cloke, Travis
Beams, Dayne
Fasolo, Alex
Sidebottom, Steele
Lumumba, Heritier
Blair, Jarryd
Dawes, Chris
Goldsack, Tyson
Toovey, Alan
Swan, Dane
Pendlebury, Scott
Shaw, Heath
Thomas, Dale

Sinclair, Ben
Wellingham, Sharrod
Jolly, Darren
Maxwell, Nick
Reid, Ben

Not too many poor players in that lot, at that time. And almost no new faces. Only the 3 midfielders (Beams, Pendlebury and Swan) named in the all-Australian team for 2012, though. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: