Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rugby players refuse to wear team’s pride guernsey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:25 pm
Post subject: Rugby players refuse to wear team’s pride guernseyReply with quote

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-break-silence-on-pride-jersey-drama/news-story/4ee6f0e0aa5b825f046f202b03d6c7b2?amp

Quote:
The Daily Telegraph reported the Sea Eagles were battling to name a team as a “handful of would-be first timers knocked back a chance to play the game” because of similar reasons to the seven players who have stood down over the jersey.

The club announced a decimated 20-man squad for their must-win Thursday night contest against the Sydney Roosters.

Dealing with the player revolt fallout, the club scrambled to piece together a line-up for the first game of round 20.

It comes after seven players sensationally stood themselves down after the club announced the pride jersey – featuring rainbow stripes and trim – would be worn as a one-off for their NRL match against the Sydney Roosters.

On the one hand, it’s unfortunate that open homophobia persists in a sport that, like the AFL, has historically been an unwelcome space for gay footballers. But I can’t help but sympathise with the primarily Christian and Muslim players who’ve taken a stand here: the club’s "woke capitalist" posturing clearly doesn’t speak for them, and they’ve stayed true to their religious beliefs.

That all of the players are from migrant backgrounds is not insignificant here: if we are to take seriously the concept of living in a multicultural society, we have to accept that newcomers might not necessarily share liberal Western values. And if we genuinely care about inclusivity, we’re going to have to cope with those dilemmas in ways that are sensitive to everyone involved.

What is likely to go largely unaddressed here is that all of this could have been easily avoided: the club could have included an opt-out clause for religious players from the beginning and allowed them to wear a modified guernsey, which would have still allowed those players who were comfortable to make a positive statement. Otherwise, we might have to face the fact that virtue-signalling corporations are primarily in it for themselves and that if we want real social progress it’s not going to happen through self-serving marketing exercises.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the reasons i really dont like all these this week and that week things. one of them pointed out its womens week, so why have the gay pride anyway?
just play sport!
as for pandering to religion, or other cultural reasons, back when i played netball in the dead of winter, we were not allowed to wear black leggings or trackies to keep warm, but muslims could. if they could we all should be able to.i just wore stockings!

it could have been avoided by not having special jumpers in the first place, do something else if you must.

100% all types of discrimination should be stamped out, but you dont necessarily have to wave a flag for every cause that comes up. just teach respect. how do we ever see each other as the same if we keep pointing out the differences?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:12 pm

Thanks for posting this David, I thought about it but didn't.

My understanding is that the club managed it badly and just sprung it on the players with no warning, resulting in the reaction. A bit more consultation and the players who withdrew from playing may have reacted differently, or maybe not.

Manly, A for effort, F for execution.

It really shouldn't be that hard but the NRL has a high population of Pacific Islanders whose cultural and religious beliefs aren't generally on the far end of progressive as far as lgbtqia+goes

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:50 pm

People should have a choice, it's that simple really.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:37 pm

It’s a fair point, wasn’t Khawaja allowed to wear a uniform different to his teammates without alcohol sponsorship? Manly could easily do the same given it’s not a major difference so not going to cause any clash issues.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:32 am

They certainly could, but I guess league bureaucracy has dictated otherwise in this case.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:42 am

think positive wrote:

100% all types of discrimination should be stamped out, but you dont necessarily have to wave a flag for every cause that comes up. just teach respect. how do we ever see each other as the same if we keep pointing out the differences?

I have never thought of it this way, but forced inclusivity is a form of discrimination. So I think it's impossible to get to the point where you stamp out discrimination.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:10 pm

David wrote:
They certainly could, but I guess league bureaucracy has dictated otherwise in this case.

It's not the league though, it's the club. At least it seems so.

The NRL doesn't have a Pride round, most clubs don't have Pride jumpers. It seems Manly decided off their own bat to design the jumper as part of connecting with the demographic where they are based and failed to consult with players or consider that some may object. (or maybe they didn't consult because they anticipated they might object and wanted to back them into a corner.

Big fail to Manly up front, but as to the players I don't have a lot of sympathy for their stance. They're happy to promote gambling and alcohol through sponsorship on their jumpers, both of which would be considered Sins, yet choose this to object to.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:42 pm

I've seen people making that last point a lot, but I don't really buy it – I don't think they're being hypocrites; I think they just consider gay love to be a graver sin than those other vices (various Christian denominations can and do interpret verses in different ways, but this seems roughly reflective of how the Bible treats them; as I understand it, there is no specific law against alcohol consumption in either testament, and only a few Christian denominations expressly prohibit it). Still, other religious players have refused to wear alcohol ads on their guernseys in the past, and I totally support their decision to do so.

The thing with religious freedom is that we don't get to tell people how to interpret their faith or holy scriptures, or what they consider to be important. And I think living in a multicultural, pluralistic society does entail some freedom from enforced conformity, which is why I also don't support French-style bans on burkas or students not being permitted to wear crucifixes at school. Being banned from wearing something isn't that different from being made to wear something you don't want to.

I think it was one of the players in question who pointed out that it wouldn't be right to force atheist teammates to wear an "I love Jesus" slogan on their guernseys either, and I think that's a fair analogy.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:07 pm

No alcohol sponsors on Manly jumpers, Pepsi Max. They do have 'Points Bet' on there though.

The Bible doesn't call gambling a sin as such, although the Bible warns against the love of money and get-rich-quick schemes.

Most forms of Islam views gambling more as a 'misdemeanour' than a sin.

Mahmoud Abdul Rahman B.
wrote:

Gambling usually falls under the (Taazeer) offences and those have no specific penalty under the islamic Sharia, and their punishment is statutory one that differs from one country to another , according to the legislator view.

The inflicted penalty might be payment of fine or / and the imprisonment with minimum or maximum period, subject to the court discretion and recurrences of offence, if such recurrences were committed by the same accused/s with previous court conviction .

Gambling is often classified as misdemeanour in most countries.

Love how the Pies have Carlton Zero as a sponsor on the teams polos.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:11 pm

Skids wrote:
The Bible doesn't call gambling a sin as such, although the Bible warns against the love of money and get-rich-quick schemes.

Another reminder of how weird it is that so many US Christian evangelicals seem to think Donald Trump was the best thing since sliced bread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2L-R8NgrA

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:56 pm

^ Laughing

This is my favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5YU_spBw0

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:58 pm

David wrote:
Skids wrote:

Another reminder of how weird it is that so many US Christian evangelicals seem to think Donald Trump was the best thing since sliced bread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ2L-R8NgrA

Did you miss the Roe vs Wade kerfuffle? Trump has stacked the bench with God botherers.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:34 am

Discrimination is a harm, not a religious right. Sexual preference on the other hand is a right. It's not a matter of conscience that we merely tolerate because prohibition is worse, which is an inherently offensive view.

The problem now is not a lack of religious freedom; on the contrary, it's that we've granted religion a special allowance to discriminate contrary to law for far too long, such as by allowing certain churches to discriminate against women.

Did I just read the Shrine pulled its rainbow lighting because bigots were vandalising it? That's offensive. Police the vandalising bigots, not the bloody rainbow lighting.

Here you go, it's worse than vandalism; it's standover thuggery:

Quote:
Managers at the Shrine of Remembrance have cancelled plans to illuminate the landmark in rainbow colours after staff received threats and abuse ahead of an exhibition celebrating the service of LGBTQ veterans.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/shrine-of-remembrance-ditches-rainbow-light-plan-after-receiving-threats-abuse-20220730-p5b5we.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:51 am

^ perhaps we need a NRL jersey with a religious bigot sign for members of the Pacific Islander community (and others who wish to join them)

Monty Python’s “Bruce Sketch” comes to mind: first rule Bruce, “no poofters”

https://chaser.com.au/general-news/terrified-manly-sea-eagles-flee-field-after-light-rain-produces-nearby-rainbow/

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/07/26/manly-releases-updated-less-offensive-pride-round-jersey/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: