Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are Australians "Good rule followers"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:27 pm
Post subject: Are Australians "Good rule followers"Reply with quote

Waleed Aly wrote an article in the Age a few days ago about the current Coronavirus situation and made this statement.

Quote:
One of the reasons the rules-based approach worked so well for two years is that Australians, in spite of our larrikin self-image, are fantastic rule-followers. We’re a country of compulsory seatbelts, compulsory bicycle helmets, compulsory voting. In all such things we are early adopters, or just outliers. Our sensibilities mean we quite like government regulation in exactly the way Americans don’t.

The full article is here https://www.theage.com.au/national/australia-s-current-approach-to-covid-embodies-a-simple-contradiction-20220714-p5b1i3.html

It has a few out dated bits since the government has reintroduced the $750 payment, but this post isn't about Covid, it's about the notion that we're a good nation of obedient, compliant, rule followers.

I disagree with the premise, but I can only really speak for me personally.

The examples he used aren't great. Compulsory voting is in the Constitution and we've been conditioned to accept seat belts and bike helmets with a combination of health messaging and penalties for non compliance.

I do agree that Australians in general don't have the same culture of "rights" that the USA does, but I don't consider that makes us compliant. Yeah, most people accepted harsh lockdown restrictions over 2020/21 but those were combined with constant fearmongering tactics and fines for non compliance. That no one paid the fines is beside the point.

My view is that, as a nation, we are not compliant, we don't embrace authoritarian rule, but we have a degree of apathy and pragmatism. Government know which buttons to push and they do it.

Want to introduce a change that reduces people's "freedoms", just run a marketing publicity campaign that hammers the reasons for the change, usually health based, and attach big financial concequences for non-compliance.

Think Speeding and the TAC ads and the old "Drink Drive, Bloody Idiot" ads.

People, in my view, filter this though the pragmatism of "how does this impact me" and "what are the consequences if I ignore it?" rather than instantly getting their back up about rights like they would in the US.
It comes down to, "I don't really like it but I can live with it because I can see the logic" or "Meh, doesn't impact me, don't care"

Does that make us a nation of rule followers or a logical if apathetic people? I don't buy the notion that we like being told what to do.

Please discuss

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We love to bend over the barrel, spread the cheeks, and take it dry.

We also have a Constitution that no one gives a shit about, so we have nothing to argue about.

The Government could introduce a new law that would allow them to install a device to access our private conversations and we'd just rollover and say yeah, sure.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:52 pm

^

Speaking for yourself or your opinion on the greater population?

Personally, I don't obey what I consider stupid rules and I certainly don't agree with this
Quote:
but maybe that's just me and I'm in the minority here?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:58 pm

Aussies area ti rules especially when it’s for their own good
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:02 pm

English translation?
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:28 pm

Nanny country
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:30 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Speaking for yourself or your opinion on the greater population?

Personally, I don't obey what I consider stupid rules and I certainly don't agree with this
Quote:
but maybe that's just me and I'm in the minority here?

Your life is controlled Stui. The Government, alongside MSM and then authorities make you comply, whether you like it or not. You like to think that you make the decision, but it's made for you.

You have been tricked into thinking that you are in control.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:46 am

I won't wear a bike helmet, ever. I don't ride on the road and I went over more jumps on my pushy than the Dukes of Hazard, without a helmet, before I was 10.

I won't wear a mask outside, ridiculous.

I'll smoke gunja until the day I can't breathe.

Other than that, I guess I pretty much follow all the rules.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:10 am

I reckon Aly is spot on, and have long thought the exact same: we do have a compliant culture, and whatever cultural characteristic the myth of the irreverent "larrikin" was based on is nowadays either very marginal or long gone. Apathy and compliance are really two sides of the same coin – in many respects, it’s easier and more comfortable for people to have others telling them what to do. And I think there are a lot of fears and anxieties under the surface too that shape people’s attitudes (perhaps partially as a result of our place in the world as a kind of satellite state). I do think we’re an unusually fearful country.

Here are some dominant Australian cultural views I’ve observed: rules are rules; those in power do what they do for a good reason; protesters and political activists (whatever the cause) are idiots and troublemakers; we and those we love are acutely at risk of becoming victims of crime; change is frightening. I’m not saying everyone thinks this way all the time or that these sentiments are unique to Australia, but I do feel that they’re strong enough to shape the way we live in consequential ways.

And none of this is new, either. I haven’t read The Lucky Country, but from what I understand of its argument, the dominant character of Australia hasn’t changed all that much in the last fifty years.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:25 am

By the way, I don't think that's true about compulsory voting being in the constitution. It was only first brought in Queensland in the 1910s, federally in the 1920s and in some of the states (WA and SA) as late as 1936 and 1942 respectively. It may still be a red herring, but it is surprising to discover that so many cultures around the world still consider the idea of forcing people to vote unpalatable whereas we just accept it as normal and sensible.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:30 am

Interesting counter arguments.

maybe my personal views are shaped from growing growing up in a small country town in the 70's. I've never thought that the people who make the rules do them for good reasons, I generally think they're idiots.

My compliance is usually driven by consequences. I'm careful when and where I break speed limits and I generally avoid driving after drinking, not because I think either is particularly dangerous but because I don't want to lose my drivers license.

The mask mandate outdoors was stupid, so I generally didn't follow it. If I was outside, I'd have a mask in my pocket and if I got near other people I'd put it on then, not because I thought it lessened any risk but to not wear it near others would have been confrontational.

It would be an interesting exercise to try to get perceptions across different age groups, genders and cultures. I don't think we're a particularly fearful country but do seem to respond to fear campaigns.

Complying because we secretly enjoy being told what to do, and complying because even though we think it's stupid and unfair but it's too bloody hard to fight it, aren't the same thing.

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:59 pm

Skids wrote:
I won't wear a bike helmet, ever. I don't ride on the road and I went over more jumps on my pushy than the Dukes of Hazard, without a helmet, before I was 10.

I won't wear a mask outside, ridiculous.

I'll smoke gunja until the day I can't breathe.

Other than that, I guess I pretty much follow all the rules.

Same but I also drive over the speed limit on freeways.

Whenever I come back from overseas I feel the nanny state label seems a pretty accurate one.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:50 pm

^

Highway Patrol seem to give a bit of tolerance. There's no working fixed speed cameras on the Hume, so I set the cruise control for around 115 depending on traffic flow. I've driven past Highway Patrol cars sitting there with the speed gun out the window and nothing. They don't even blink. I figure they're waiting for someone worth the effort.

On the Goulburn valley Highway I pretty much know the preferred hiding places for the cops so make sure I don't put the foot down in those areas.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:54 pm

Can't get away with much on WA roads.

The last time I got a speeding ticket, was a few years ago now. I got pinged on the Kwinana Fwy by a fixed camera for doing 107 in 100 zone. To really cap it off, there was another camera 3k down the road that got me at 106.

I set my cruise control at 2k over the limit everywhere now, I already pay enough tax.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:23 pm

Fixed and mobile speed cameras will get you for any speed over the limit, but yeah Highway Patrol I’ve alway felt comfortable doing anything up to 120 before they bother. Much like Stui I’ve gone past them at 115-120 and nothing.

Been pulled over for 124 and got a warning, got pulled over and a ticket for 129, which I later discovered was only 1km from losing my licence!

But as has been mentioned above, I’m a risk v reward person. What is actually the risk of getting in trouble? What is the punishment if I do? I won’t steal something but following stupid rules like outdoor mask mandates or the speed limit, well there is always leeway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: