Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need an order off rule?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:06 pm
Post subject: Do we need an order off rule?Reply with quote

Thinking about the Stewart/Prestia incident in the Geelong v. Richmond game at the weekend. Richmond loses its best player from the previous week to a bad hit that has been referred directly to the Tribunal and the final margin is less than a goal. Should Stewart have finished the game (he was arguably BOG) or should he have been removed from the contest? This has always troubled me - the infraction was against his opposition at the weekend - but the effect of any suspension will be to the advantage of teams his hit hasn't impacted.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I said so on big footy, it probably cost Richmond the game.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say a team might sacrifice a player during finals to take someone out

I will say though much as I hate feeling the cat really looked remorseful and not just because he got caught, because he knew he hurt him badly

Doesn’t change it though he should have got red carded

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:07 pm

Sorry but No for me. I don't like the order off rule, don't watch soccer, don't see a need for it.

We have 4 interchange players plus a medical sub. That's enough.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:49 pm

They have it in the NRL and it gets used in just these circumstances. It's not an issue that can really arise in soccer - noone gets lined up and hit in the head like that (if they did, it would probably result in a ban of several years).
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:34 am

Ordinarily I'd say yes, however, I would not trust umpires and the AFL to apply it fairly.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:44 am
Post subject: Re: Do we need an order off rule?Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Thinking about the Stewart/Prestia incident in the Geelong v. Richmond game at the weekend. Richmond loses its best player from the previous week to a bad hit that has been referred directly to the Tribunal and the final margin is less than a goal. Should Stewart have finished the game (he was arguably BOG) or should he have been removed from the contest? This has always troubled me - the infraction was against his opposition at the weekend - but the effect of any suspension will be to the advantage of teams his hit hasn't impacted.

What if they make it so that the suspension must be served against the team the infraction was against? ie. Stewart cannot play the next X times the Cats play Richmond? There would have to be contingency plan for players who retire before the suspension in served.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:02 am

I’m absolutely disgusted in media talking about how to get Stewart off/reduce his penalty. WTF?! It’s like he’s the victim. I don’t care how nice a guy he is, that’s 4-6 weeks.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
They have it in the NRL and it gets used in just these circumstances. It's not an issue that can really arise in soccer - noone gets lined up and hit in the head like that (if they did, it would probably result in a ban of several years).

yes, but we've had players deliberately try to take out opposition players since the game started.

Cowboy Neale poleaxed Peter Hudson
Mark Yeates ran through Brereton in 89.

Just 2 examples in Grand Finals.

Aussie Rules has never had a send of rule at the highest level, never needed one and the game is more sanitised now than ever before.

So, No, I don't want a send off rule in AFL.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:53 pm

Stewart banned for 4 games.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/789211/the-verdict-is-in-tribunal-makes-call-on-stewart-hit

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 am

4 weeks is right, even if media tried hard to get it reduced with sob stories all week. And I’m with Stui, a big no to a send off rule — I want a ban on rule changes, to be honest, most fans have had enough.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 am

I don't see why he only got 4 weeks. After all, Sidey was given 5 (reduced to 3 for his good record) a few seasons back and Johnson was given 6 a few years before that. Either they protect the head or they don't - if they want to do it properly, they need to take some "really good blokes" like this out of the game. It's an interesting contrast to the way the media called for our last premiership captain's head when he took a guy out with a bump - remarkably, that happened back in the days when it was still permissible to bump and take someone's head.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:41 am

Maynard got three at the start of this year for a legit spoil attempt.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:20 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/time-for-the-afl-to-emerge-from-its-hermit-kingdom-and-send-players-off-20220701-p5ay7v.html
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:23 pm

And Fernando bowls the same bowl to Swepson. Australia all out for 321.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 pm

Should be an option (send off) for sure and I like Bucks5 idea of a week of whatever suspension is handed down, to be served when playing the side the infringement was incurred against.

We've gone all about protecting the players head and rightly so. To let the perpetrator continue playing, while the other poor bloke is verging on hospitalisation is a disgrace.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: