Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brodie Grundy positional change?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's merit in the idea, but honestly, I think Cameron has looked more like a good forward/ruck option. Overall, I fear playing 3 rucks would make us far too slow and top heavy.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:29 pm

DP

Last edited by RudeBoy on Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:40 pm

Grundy back in the ruck, Cox at FF doing the ruck work forward, Cameron to Full Back and doing the ruckwork down back.

Depending on game situation, Grundy spends max 70% game time in the ruck.

Grundy is a very good ruck, with flaws but still very good, but he's not built for longevity. He and his leap won't get larger but his opponents are. He needs to diversify. He may not be the fastest but neither is Cripps and he goes OK as a midfielder.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:52 am

Jezza wrote:
I think it's laughable that Grundy needs to earn his spot back through the VFL.

Grundy would only play VFL to regain some fitness from a long-term injury, but otherwise he's an automatic selection everyday of the week.

Too many people are getting carried away because Cox played his first decent game in years. I might be convinced he's turned a corner if he does it on a consistent basis.

Agree Jezza. Cox needs to demonstrate that he can maintain his recent form, and has 5 or 6 weeks to do so.
If we can't find a place for Grundy in our team, then we must truly be the best team in the AFL.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:33 am

Make him the rover.
Big T 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:13 am

Whatever they do, if Grundy is a true champion, their emergence will bring out the best in him, and at his best, he is a gun
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 am

As the coach said, Grundy is five weeks away and there's a lot of form and injury time between then and now. Five more weeks of the Cameron/Cox combo and we know a lot more.
However its fun to speculate. Could he be a ruck rover in the Adam Goodes mould.
Could we trade him, pay some of his wage but save 80% of it to apply to our new best 22 players. Assuming that Camereon/Cox works for another two to four years, which is quite possible considering Cox isn't battered and Cameron is young.
As others have said Grundy doesn't seem to be a forward.
Anyway we have good coaches and a very good list manager so I can only see a good outcome

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:13 am

Adelaide are desperate for a ruckman. O’Brien hasn’t got long left I don’t reckon and they don’t have much coming from behind him.

They’re positioned low on the ladder which gives them draft pick trade currency.

Take their first pick and a second rounder / player and do the deal Pies!

Cox isn’t the answer, but Cameron / Begg might be. Or we can grab a half decent ruck from one of the other clubs who isn’t getting a game.

There are plenty of options.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 am

I think people forget there’s an entirely different skill set that separates K P Fs from ruckmen. Just because you’re tall, doesn’t mean you can play both positions equally well. In the history of the game, there would be very few ruckman who switch positions to become SUCCESSFUL key forwards. Paul Salmon broke the mould but he was a unique talent. Paddy Ryder is another one who was / is competent at both roles.
As others have said, while it’s a talking point now, we will know even more over the next few weeks.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:45 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
Adelaide are desperate for a ruckman. O’Brien hasn’t got long left I don’t reckon and they don’t have much coming from behind him.

They’re positioned low on the ladder which gives them draft pick trade currency.

Cox isn’t the answer, but Cameron / Begg might be. Or we can grab a half decent ruck from one of the other clubs who isn’t getting a game.

If they take his salary, then tick, get it done.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Cameron to Full Back...

No. Here we go again with the “play someone in a position they’ve never played before” claims. I don’t know what the answer is - but it isn’t this…

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:05 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I think people forget there’s an entirely different skill set that separates K P Fs from ruckmen. Just because you’re tall, doesn’t mean you can play both positions equally well. In the history of the game, there would be very few ruckman who switch positions to become SUCCESSFUL key forwards. Paul Salmon broke the mould but he was a unique talent. Paddy Ryder is another one who was / is competent at both roles.
As others have said, while it’s a talking point now, we will know even more over the next few weeks.

Peter Moore was a pretty decent forward before going into the ruck, Simon Madden also. Any ruckman capable of actually catching the ball rather than hitting it can play forward well.

Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:16 pm

Grundy peaked as ruckman early, he was doing things beyond his years.

At 28, from now onwards should be his prime.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:54 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

But there isn't a club in the league dumb or desperate enough to take on his contract.

Even North wouldn't touch him.
Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:49 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

But there isn't a club in the league dumb or desperate enough to take on his contract.

Even North wouldn't touch him.

I agree there aren’t many clubs that would be interested in taking on Grundy with his current contract, but I suspect that all of Adelaide, Port Adelaide and even West Coast Eagles would be very keen to trade if there was a chance that Collingwood would let Grundy go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: