Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heroic Efforts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Another hero from the Collingwood v Hawthorn game: Mason Cox.

His importance far exceeds the stats.
He made some significant contributions, and enabled Darcy Cameron to play another great game across the park.
He also risked his whole future by playing part of the game without his protective eyewear.
Trying to find a word somewhere between courageous and all too risky:
Heroic
SteveG 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:56 am

Another game; another heroic tackle.

Early in the final quarter against The Dees, with 2 points the difference, Gawn takes it out of the Ruck in front of his goals. He turns to put it on his boot to dob one, and then Isaac Quaynor lays a tackle that pins one arm, which causes Gawn to dispose of it incorrectly.

IQ is half his size but with a heart twice as large.
The crowd rise as one: "Gooooorrrnn"

It certainly was a goal-saving tackle. Maybe even game-changing.
The ball sweeps to the other end and Checkers kicks one, that leads to another five. Six straight in the final quarter.

It was as if David had brought down Goliath, and the Philistines were without their hero.
Forget about Michelangelo's oversized David;
Isaac Quaynor is Donatello's David – agile, smart, fearless.

Michelangelo & Donatello's Davids.jpg

IQ is Donatello's David

Pinned by IQ. He's Gaaawwwnnn.jpg

Pinned by IQ. He's Gaawwwnn

Last edited by SteveG on Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:22 am

The heroic moment for me was in the last quarter, when Jamie Elliott busted his arse and got his fingertips to a wonky pass from Cox, then threw himself at it to knock it to Josh D, all of which resulted in the Lipinski snap marked by Mihocek. Finals-winning stuff. Don’t think I have ever seen Jamie in better or more committed form.
npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:38 am

Great thread SteveG.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:52 am

^ ^ ^

Take a look at that pic at the 17 min mark of last quarter and notice the accountability of every player who is standing shoulder to shoulder with their opponents. Then add in I Q who would have left his man to give us the extra at that contest.
It’s a great snap shot of what we were about in a close game.
Brilliant stuff !
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:44 am

Meredith1965 wrote:
The heroic moment for me was in the last quarter, when Jamie Elliott busted his arse and got his fingertips to a wonky pass from Cox, then threw himself at it to knock it to Josh D, all of which resulted in the Lipinski snap marked by Mihocek. Finals-winning stuff. Don’t think I have ever seen Jamie in better or more committed form.

100% agree with this moment. He put his body on the line knowing he'd get crunched to get that knock on. It was desperation which doesn't result in a stat and something that stat quoters sadly miss. Guaranteed all teammates and coaching staff know the value and impact such an action has and it will have been highlighted strongly in post game review.
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:13 am

Great thread, SteveG.
Thoroughly enjoyable.
Keep it up!!!
SteveG 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:39 am

Boogie Knights wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:

100% agree with this moment. He put his body on the line knowing he'd get crunched to get that knock on. It was desperation which doesn't result in a stat and something that stat quoters sadly miss. Guaranteed all teammates and coaching staff know the value and impact such an action has and it will have been highlighted strongly in post game review.

Yes, Meredith 1965, in deed.
After his earlier head-clash, general gut running, and all-'round liveliness, this was another great effort, worth highlighting.

As the ball bobbles around, Billy looks up for a split second, notices Jaicos alone and unattended, and does everything he can to get it to him. Immediate result: goal.
Longer-term impact: admiration and inspiration.

5.13.jpg

5.11.jpg

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:06 pm

Good thread, I just hope for IQ's sake he's better endowed than either of the Davids. Wink
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Good thread, I just hope for IQ's sake he's better endowed than either of the Davids. Wink

A bigger tackle.
SteveG 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:18 pm

This week's game-winning / game-saving heroic effort,
amongst 285 other acts of sheer desperation from The Pies,
was from WHE (The Banker) – making the game safe – with 5 minutes to go.

This should be on his Scanlen's Gum Footy Card.

Check out the balance, and the taut instep.

It would be useful if the others, attempting to kick a goal, were taught about a taut instep.

WHE (The Banker) makes it safe..jpg

WHE (The Banker) makes it safe

SteveG 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:40 pm

Another week; another heart-stopper (or maybe, a heart-starter).

With a game full of heroic efforts:
from Josh Daicos' half-soccer, half-basketball dribbling around the boundary-line to Pendles telling Darcy Moore to get on his bike.

But here are my top three:
Bruzzy with a bung shoulder smothering (again);

Checkers coming from the clouds to lay a momentum-shifting tackle;

Billy E doing it for Billy P.

Bruzza smothers (again).jpg

Bruzzy smothers (again)

Checkers.jpg

Checkers ... crunch

Billy splits the middle, on the siren.jpg

Billy splits the middle, on the siren

Last edited by SteveG on Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:37 pm

Great thread Steve G. Great editing / photos to illustrate the good points you make.

A lot of contributors here. I love Cox’s work in the tap outs in the last quarters if not last halves in the last few games. (I’m still shaking from that stirring win. I think it even tops the 2010 prelim feeling being at the G.

SteveG 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:52 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Great thread Steve G. Great editing / photos to illustrate the good points you make.

A lot of contributors here. I love Cox’s work in the tap outs in the last quarters if not last halves in the last few games. (I’m still shaking from that stirring win. I think it even tops the 2010 prelim feeling being at the G.

Thanks WPT.

I've heard a few bring up the same feeling you mention about the 2010 Prelim.
They were great players back then. But what cannot be doubted is the sheer effort and energy this Team displays. And a Captain who is also an on-field Coach. In tight games (and these days they are all decided by a slippery blade of grass) an on-field Captain Coach is just what players on the ground need. The off-field coaches are are trying to get as close to the playing group as possible during the game, but on-field leadership is the best way to inspire players to play for (and with) each other.

The Pies are proving this, week after week.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:08 am

SteveG wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Thanks WPT.

I've heard a few bring up the same feeling you mention about the 2010 Prelim.
They were great players back then. But what cannot be doubted is the sheer effort and energy this Team displays. And a Captain who is also an on-field Coach. In tight games (and these days they are all decided by a slippery blade of grass) an on-field Captain Coach is just what players on the ground need. The off-field coaches are are trying to get as close to the playing group as possible during the game, but on-field leadership is the best way to inspire players to play for (and with) each other.

The Pies are proving this, week after week.

I've been thinking for a while now that a semi-return to the old days would be interesting if they were to appoint Pendlebury as captain-assistant coach. He's talked about moving away from the club at the end of his playing days to coach and this may be a way to circumvent that.

I wonder how much of his wage could be moved from salary cap to coaching cap?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: