Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home DIY, Art & Craft, making stuff

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partypie 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Local government website should have a map with each locations bushfire rating. It has changed considerably in the last few years. It is worth checking out. We will have to get a BAL report. It also comes into consideration before you plant trees, ie where and what type. Some are considered lower risk than others. Also with renovations, some councils require the whole house be brought up to current requirements. Some of it is quite ridiculous, but there we are
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:15 am

I’d guess we would be bal 12.5, the holiday home we built was. I remember filling out the form, I’ll have a look when I get home, luckily the aboriginal heritage zone is small and not where we want to build! Thanks for the reminder!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:09 pm

With the 2 public holidays, came up to Tocumwal for a few days. Yesterday was sunny and beautiful so I just chilled and enjoyed it.

Up early this morning, after a 4km walk and a bit of breakfast, got to work on the lawns. Took 3 hours to mow everything, done before lunch, then got to work on my project, putting a screen door on the front. Bought it in Melbourne and brought it up. White, mesh that you can see the front door through and imperial size.

There's never been a screen door on the front so first job was to make some modifications to the door frame, then cut out recesses for the hinges, hang the door, fit the lock and handles, then mark and cut the holes for the latch so it closes and locks properly.

Took 2 hours, very happy with the finished product but I'm buggered.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 pm

Noice, did the same, list of things to do......

Firstly Spring cleaned and cut the grass, drained the boat Cos the cover collapsed, looked at the list.... three of us watched The something race about Australia 2, then a Netflix thing on Marty fish, and king Richard which is awesome! Hubbys gunna cook dinner, junior kissing dog, I’m going back to the Jeff dahmer series, that’s some weird shit!

Got to go home tomorrow early to babysit my grand pup!

So much for the list!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:20 pm

Goodonya,

I just can't sit and watch tv during the day unless it's sport. If it's shitfull outside I'll find something to do or read a book.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:16 pm

Skids wrote:
Very good point Stui.
Windows are the priority now, with plenty to do in the yard while I'm waiting for them to be made.

So I picked up the 3 x new sashes when I flew home last week. Given them 2 coats of a 4 in 1 oil based primer and 3 coats of the semi-gloss.
2 of the sashes (under eaves cover) are in ok condition and I've patched them up. Removed all the glass from the 5 fixed windows and the 2 sashes still in position. Glazier coming Tuesday week (I fly home on the Monday).

Sash windows have the security screen only and the fixed windows I've boarded up. It's pretty chilly here at the moment so the blinds are down and the gas heater is cranking. It's actually quite nice with the crisp air sneaking in and the heater just taking the chill out of the air.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:07 pm

Well done with that. When I extended the house near 20 years ago, I picked up some double hung windows from a scrap place. Fitted in perfect, but had a bugger of a time opening up the internals to put new sash cord on the weights.

Got them to work though.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:05 am

All the glass went in yesterday.
The 3 new sashes are all slightly too big, need to plane a few mm's off all sides.
Today will be painting the frames outside. The inside comes later. Outside with a semi gloss, inside with a timber varnish.

I think I'm working harder around the house than I do at work the last 2 years. Shit is coming together nicely though.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:03 pm

I hate painting...
roar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:45 pm

Hire a painter.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:37 pm

We had new windows installed at the front of the house.
Due to the style, wanting double glazed and council heritage rules, had to be custom made so got them prepainted as part of the job. Just had to do some painting of internal trim, much easier.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:22 pm

Skids wrote:
I hate painting...

I quite like painting, it's relaxing.

Something more practical, I bought some wine up, one bottle had a cork. No corkscrew in the house. So screw a 75mm timber screw into the cork and remove it with a claw hammer.
Problem solved.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:18 am

roar wrote:
Hire a painter.

I don't hate it enough to pay somebody else to do it. Just a tedious and boring task for me.

The glazier said I saved a fortune prepping the windows. He wasn't expecting such a good job.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:34 pm

So it came time to fit the sashes into the frames. Plumber measuring timber window frame size, a slight fail. I didn't allow for the slight chamfer on the bottom part of the frame. Had to take them back to the joiner for a minor adjustment to the hinge recess. Got 2 of the 3 in, the third still needs a tiny tweak. Chippy mate Tix coming around to sort that for me.

I'll still have quite a bit to do to finish these next R n R, but at least we'll have closing windows on the front of the house.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:21 pm

Skids wrote:

I don't hate it enough to pay somebody else to do it.

Ditto, I don't like paying for someone to do stuff I can do myself, plus I get enjoyment out of problem solving. Dad asked me when the kids were little where I learned how to repair bicycles when he was watching me (with a beer in hand) doing maintenance in the front yard. My response was, I just figured it out.

Picked up the 2 new Foxtel boxes from the PO today. In order to get FTA channels you need an ariel connection. Mum has one behind her TV but it's dodgy. So got to work, went over what I had, quick trip to Bunnings and a bit of time on Youtube watching how to fit the connectors onto the plain cable, the ariel coax coming up through the floor now goes into a box (I'll screw it to the wall/floor one day) which is connected to a 2 way splitter, one of which is plugged into mums Foxtel box.

Plugged it all in, turned it on, set up the WIFI, works like a bought one. Very Happy

Then came the problem, shortly before 6pm, turned on my TV, &%%&. Authorising mums box has killed the one in the front room. &%%&. Very quickly disconnect the old one, connect the new one up, but I don't have an ariel connection, going to run that 10m of coax under the house tomorrow.

Into the bedroom, grab an old power amplified indoor antenna that I wasn't using as it didn't work that well, plugged it in and hung it up from the picture rail, success. I get 7 and 9. That's the news and the block tonight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: