Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home DIY, Art & Craft, making stuff

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

gees well done you!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:08 pm

Cheers Jo, the plumber has been around. When I got home from Toc yesterday arvo I got on the phone and turned the Ring cameras on up there and see the side doors on the shed are open. I'm WTF? Couldn't see anyone but could hear noise in there, tried to call the plumber to see if he'd sent someone around, no answer.

Left the cameras on and waited til I got an alert for movement again and checked it, definitely a plumber not a thief. He was back again this morning, knocked off by lunchtime so I assume if it's not finished now it will be soon.

Called into Bunnings this morning and bought a cement sheet cutting tool.

If I get up Monday week and the sparky still hasn't been yet I'm gonna line the shower and he'll just have to work around it. Need to get on Amazon and get a couple of 2200 long shower curtains. I've got (at this stage) the daughter and grandson coming up to Toc to have Xmas Day with me and Mum up there, so I'm gonna get this finished so she's comfortable sleeping in there whatever it takes.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:49 pm

thats really awesome mate, cheers

also, ring are having a 25% off sale on certain bundles.

I just bought some to replace the camera system we have at our main address.
The ones we have occasionally turn off and its bloody near impossible to get them live on line! they are at least 6-7 years old so outdated technology!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:59 pm

Productive day. Got the shower lined with the cement sheet, taps and shower head mounted, Silicone sealant on all the joins, curved shower rail fitted with a safety chain attached to the roof to just help support the outermost past of the rail, shower curtain up and assembled the 3 part folding privacy screen. Smile

Also had to quickly go up to see my older cousin (the ex school teacher) to show him how to connect his new laptop to WIFI.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:45 pm

Gees…
Did he teach IT?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:36 pm

^
He was a Primary School teacher, focus on PE.

He has basically zero practical skills. He called in today while I was working on the shower to ask me for help, looked at the tools in the shed and said he doesn't own a single tool.

I can't imagine not being able to do basic things that he has NFI how to do.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:39 pm

Neither can I!

But then I get surprised when people get surprised when they see me on the tools!

Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Got the shower lined with the cement sheet, taps and shower head mounted, Silicone sealant on all the joins, curved shower rail fitted with a safety chain attached to the roof to just help support the outermost past of the rail, shower curtain up and assembled the 3 part folding privacy screen. Smile

Make sure nothing is loose for gods sake.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:53 pm

Nothing is loose.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:48 pm

In another bit of progress, rang the sparky yesterday, my fortnightly reminder call to ask him whhen TF he's coming around. He came straight to the house, so I could remind him where everything was to go, then I asked him directly, did you lose the keys?

He looked sheepish and said "I forgot where you put them"

I said, "I put them in your hand. 3 keys on a Cobram Sheds Keyring". Eyes went wide, mouth dropped open and he walked back to his ute and came back with my shed keys in his hand, saying "I'm an idiot".

I laughed at him, he's going to do the job tomorrow.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:50 pm

Lol!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:28 pm

Sparky true to his word, called in today and shed all wired up. Very Happy
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:57 pm

We've been in our new place for just under 18 months, so time for reno's. Didn't think I would keep renovating after nearly 40 years of working on 4 properties over the journey.

Love this house. Double brick, thermal qualities are unbelievable, only problem are the internal walls are exposed brick which makes it a bit dark and collects dust. So, I've finished today lining the built in robe with plaster, stopping up and sanding. White dust up my nose, no not Coke, through my hair and any exposed skin is clogged with dust. Ready to paint tomorrow morning, then off to golf!!!!!

Next is a bathroom reno..... Stay tuned.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:38 pm

^

I grew up in a double brick house, the thermal qualities were obvious.

In summer, after a couple of weeks of 40+ it was like a fkn kiln inside, in winter when it would go to -2 overnight, it was a fridge. Only heating was an open fire in the lounge and the woodstove in the kitchen and mum kept the loungeroom door tightly closed during winter. It would be 30 in the lounge and 10 in the rest of the house.

Good luck with the plastering, getting the finish right on the seams is the only tricky bit.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:52 pm

Sounds like your mums house may not have had insulation. I'm amazed at what this guy did in the building of this place.

The brick cavities are all filled with polystyrene void fill adding another dimension of insulation. There is 8-10 inches of fibreglass insulation batts in the ceiling. The north facing rear wall is mostly glass making use of winter sun which is double glazed.

We went through last summer without air-con and found the ceiling fans and open windows with the sea breeze were more than adequate. The winter just passed without hardly any heating. In fact we are still on the same bottle of gas. Interesting, it cost around $180 for a 45kg refill from Elgas. Speaking to a guy at golf, it is possible to fill the bottle at a servo in Sale for around $90, as long the attendant isn't watching.

Plastering, the seams? I think you mean the recessed edge joins. Piece of pi5s. Tape the joins, base coat finished with top coat. With the right tools, it isn't too hard. I'm also doing square set ceiling joins, no need for cornice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: