Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Home DIY, Art & Craft, making stuff

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, hope it works well for you. My experience in using fishing line to make mobiles out of old DVD's is that it doesn't stand up to the UV for very long.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 pm

ive started knitting again to help with function to the fingers i busted up a couple of years ago, the op fixed the locking but they get very stiff, use it or lose it! so this is no 5! I made the pattern up for a lot of it as i didnt have enough main colour wool! lovin this one!

Last edited by think positive on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
partypie 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:20 pm

It’s a bloody beauty!!!!!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 pm

thankyou, i love it, the wool came from Norway, better quality and way cheaper than buying it here!!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:40 pm

Nice work! Looks great.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:45 pm

Had some spare time up in Toc so got around to pulling the old wall mounted evaporative air con out of the wall. Heavy bastard, once I got it unbolted inside had to go outside and stand under it, slowly manouvre it backwards then, just as it starts to fall out, pull it away from the wall so it didn't crack any of the cement sheet and jump backwards out of the way.

Patched the hole outside with some black plastic and duct tape and inside with a wooden sheet and duct tape. Within an hour the tape was peeling in the heat soe went over it with gaffer tape.

Next trip up I'll install the new(ish) regrigerated one that's on the floor in the spare room. Just got to make the hole 30mm taller which will involve trimming the paster, one stud, and the AC sheet on the outside. Multitool, water bottle and facemask required for that job.

Need to fasten a couple of brakets to the wall outside to hold the weight, which will involve drilling into the AC sheet, but I read a trick online where you drill the hole through a disposable plastic cup full of shaving foam which traps all the dust.

Then will come the fun part, lifting the new one up into the hole which is 5 feet from the ground (inside).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:42 pm

you need a stubby mate - someone who will help for stubbies! not worth doing your back mate, but loving seeing the renos!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:24 am

Yeah, cheers Jo.

I've got a cousin who lives in Finley, he drives a delivery truck around the region, I might message him and ask if he's coming through Toc while I'm there if he can call in for 15 minutes. He's a big unit, slightly shorter than me but 30kg heavier.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:59 pm

Considering the weather forecast, the tape is unlikely to stay in place for 10 days so I'm going back up on Monday and taking Mum with me.

The weather in Melbourne will be shit early next week, up there it's 30 every day which helps her arthritis.

I described to her what I need to do and she was concerned she'd be in the way and would stay home if I wanted, I just explained to her that I get up at 6:30, go for a walk, have breakfast, work until 12:30 then have a shower, lunch and quit for the day.

She gets up at 9:30, breakfast, newspaper, dishes, shower at 11 and by the time she's dressed and ready to face the day, I'm ready to pack up for the day, so no issues whatsoever.

To her credit, she laughed and agreed.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:52 pm

Finished the aircon off, new shed looking to start construction in the next few weeks, so this trip pulling down the rest of the old one.

Mowed the lawns this morning and got a fair start on it this arvo, just a small issue with the outdoor powerpoint inside it. Once I got the Iron off the outside, I realised that power cord was the only thing holding the timber wall up. Shit. Mad

Wasn't going to fvck with the powerpoint itself, so cut the weatherboard around it then, holding the wall up with one hand, took out the screws holding the conduit to the wall.

Start on the final screw and the wall decides to go and I can't hold it one handed, gave the powerpoint a bit of a jerk, enough to mangle the inside, short out and trip the safety switch in the house. No power and switch won't turn back on.

Call a local sparky, he's there in 15 minutes, cut the switch off and coiled the cord up under the eave with the end in some kind of weatherproof box to use when the new shed is built.

Beer O'Clock, finish the rest tomorrow and if I have time, taake the very full trailer to the tip.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:00 pm

A week or so ago had a sparky come around to install, for free, this thingo that goes above the exhaust fan in the bathroom. The idea is to stop drafts, it creates a closed seal over the fan when it's off but opens up when the fan is on to get ventilation.

A few days ago, the fan started making a horrible noise when turned on, so we just didn't use it for a few days. Today I got up the ladder to check it out. When he put the fan back in, the side where the electrical cable goes into the motor was on the opposite side to where the power point was, so the cable was hanging down over the fan blades and clipping the fan as it turned.

So simple to fix, unscrewed the fan, turned it 180 degrees, pushed the cable out of the road and screwed it back up. Problem solvered boss, works like a bought one.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:53 pm

Gees I like that idea, amazing how much draft gets in
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:01 pm

^

Give this mob a call https://carbonsavers.com.au/#products

They arrange to supply and fit the exhaust fan cover for nothing, you can also get that gizmo on the electricity metre so you can check you usage on your phone.

Same mob that referred me to a Solar Panel mob and gave me a $1,000 extra rebate voucher over and above the state and federal rebates.

Tell em I sent yo, I might get a referral voucher or something. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:17 pm

TP a while back said how she went full Edward Scissorhands on her garden. That was me this morning. I went full Bunta mode on some overgrown plants with a variety of different secateurs.

massive pile of stuff that I'll need to take to the tip, but more to go. Been slack and haven't done much work out the back for a few years, it's payback time.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:46 pm

Getting to work on the new shed up in Toc. Now that it's all up and plumbed, I've been waiting 2 months for the sparky to come and wire it up so I started progressing the "bathroom"

Got the shower base, dunny and a small Laundry sink all sitting there, so started framing up the wall so I can lay Villaboard for the shower. Called the Plumber around this morning, showed him what I'd done and how it should all fit together. It's in a shed so I'm not worried about it looking pretty, just functional.

He wanted my to move part of the frame as it was going to be in the road of the dunny, which I've done. Once he does the pipes I'll be able to line it but now I'm going to have to cut one of the sheets of villaboard which I was hoping to avoid. Mad

Put in some cross beams so he has something to fasten the shower head and taps to, all done and ready.

Since I'm making 1/3 of the shed into a guest room (hence the dunny, shower and sink) I did a quick drive to Invergorden to pick up a 2.5 seater sofa bed I got on Facebook Marketplace for $80.

Very good condition, no stains, just some pilling on the arm rests, but the mechanism works fine. Moved a few things around and got it up against the wall.

Once the plumbing work (and sparky) is finished, just have to get a small cupboard that I can stick a small microwave on and have some benchspace and stick in a toaster, kettle, and a few bits of corockery and cutlery.

Got a curved shower rod which I'll put up with a curtain for the shower and a 2.6m 3 panel folding privacy screen to be used as required when using the dunny of shower.

Having a ball doing these jobs, beats the fck out of working in an office for a living.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: