Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 133, 134, 135  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If Max Holmes has resigned with Geelong, does that mean Bailey Smithis not going to the Cats?

Mitch Lewis would be a great KPF but he also spends a lot of time injured in rehab

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:41 pm

mattdally wrote:
I'd love Larkey but didn't he just sign a long term deal with the Roos?

Re-signed last year until the end of 2029.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:53 am

Ok Lions in a bit more trouble 2 games out of the 8 and in a downward spiral. Hugh McCluggage unsigned yet. I’m sure stuff is happening in the lions background.

At the start of the season I thought here was know chance he would leave the lions. Now I’m thinking there could be a good chance. Is this a FA opportunity the pies could make happen? A few of those retirements could come sooner to free up the cash and rejuvenate our midfield with Pendles Sidey Titch and Crisp on the way out sooner than later

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 am

^ The problem with McCluggae is he is a "restricted" free agent hence even if he nominates us, the Lions would match then seeking to force a trade for draft capital we simply don't have.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:13 am

^If a free agent is restricted, their current club can elect to match any rival contract offers to retain them. Depending on the salary, contract length, and age of the player, clubs will receive AFL draft compensation for departing free agents, providing they haven't signed one themselves during the period.

The AFL will allocate draft picks to clubs with a net loss of free agents over one Trade Period, using a formula it has devised.
The formula produces a points rating for players based on: the new contract of the free agent and the age of the free agent. Draft picks will be allocated in one of five places – first round (immediately following that club's current selection), end of first round, second round, end of second round, or third round.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:52 am

^^^
Where the Lions are concerned, what we would really being hoping for, is that the contract required to keep McCluggage would hopefully dilute what they can offer Jarrod Berry, who is also a restricted free agent. He’s a more likely proposition ( although still more likely to stay ) and he’s a big body who is playing his best footy in 2024. There’s also a knock on effect that even if they were to keep both, it would likely bring on a cap squeeze that another club or two will benefit from. They won’t be too fussed about losing a midfielder ( albeit not an A grader ) because Marcus Ashcroft is recovering nicely from his ACL and his little brother ( who is a clone ) will go in the top three of this years N D.
I’m guessing Bailey Smith is a genuine target ( as a trade ) but how that plays out is anyones guess. Maybe we force someone’s hand with pre agency ( trade for them a year before they become free agents with a view to offering unders but still better than the likely compensation return as free agents a year later ) There’s always another way to skin a cat.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:24 pm

^ true that. I can already see an overlapping deal between several Clubs.
The Bears early season demise won't help the internal atmosphere any, and in relation to player retention.
Free agency compensation might land them a top 10 pick for a player of the calibre of McCluggage.

Having won 12 games out of 90, North is surely set to be plundered.
Non-free agent Bailey Scott remains out of contract in 2024, albeit we lack the draft capital to ask the question if he was open to a move.
While he's a 2025 FA prospect, it's been suggested that Davies-Uniake might secure a top 5 compensation pick via the AFL. He seems a priority for our requirements.

Injecting the quality of ball moves in Bulldogs Bailey Smith and Norths Davies-Uniake is exactly where we need to be looking.
We'll have the $$$, will we be bold?

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 am

Yes fair call on the RFA. Not sure about Berry. Can give it up in key moments, Sidey's GF goal!. Not sure on LDU at North. Has had some ripping games without a doubt including against us at Marvel a few years ago. He's another Crouch bros type for me. Bailey Smith is more flashy x factor on the field for sure but comes with the ACL recovery and some history.

I'd still take McCluggage out of the 4 but yes a trade will be impossible unless we can manufacture some high draft picks and or send players to Brisbane like in the old days. Not sure who we could give up without going further backwards

The lions will need draft points for Fletcher#2. They have holes like every team. I'm sure they will be active FA market and traders too. They will need to turn the list again soon also

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:22 pm

Jezza wrote:
mattdally wrote:
I'd love Larkey but didn't he just sign a long term deal with the Roos?

Re-signed last year until the end of 2029.

Sheesh... Still can't get over him being draft pick #73. Shocked

Did he improve so much, or are all the clubs still blind sometimes?
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:45 am

It’s probably been posted before but there’s still a fair bit of unrestricted free agent gold yet to be mined in 2024 with several players coming out of contract….could fill some big holes borne out of delisting and either voluntary or forced retirement of a few of our ageing highly paid stars at the end of the season…should have significant $$$ left over to throw at potentials like:

* Elliott Himmelberg (ADL) 199 cm / 99 kg / 26 yrs forward
* Hugh McCluggage (BRIS)185 cm / 84 kg / 26 yrs mid - restricted free agent
* Bailey Banfield (FREO) 190 cm / 88 kg / 26 yrs forward
* Matt Taberner (FREO) 199 cm / 97 kg / 30 yrs forward
* Isaac Cumming (GWS) 188 cm / 84 kg / 25 yrs defender / mid
* Adam Tomlinson (MEL) 194 cm / 95 kg / 30 yrs defender
* Cam Zurhaar (NTH MEL) 190 cm / 91 kg / 25 yrs forward - restricted free agent
* Josh Battle (STK) 193 cm / 93 kg / 25 yrs defender

And if Wrighty could somehow conjure up some sort of trading miracle, obviously one or two of Bailey Smith, Jamarra Ugle-Hagen, and Logan McDonald from the non-free agents list.

For mine I’d be looking to fortify our defence with relatively cheap gettables such as Josh Battle, Adam Tomlinson, and Isaac Cumming. Taberner or Himmelberg would give us that big marking target forward. And although I rate him, don’t think we could or should pay the big $$$ required for McCluggage which would also involve significant trade equity we don’t have.

So, best case scenario is we are somehow able to snag McDonald and Bailey Smith and three or four of the gettables mentioned above….possibly Battle, Cumming and Himmelberg…would be very happy with that 😁🤞

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:38 am

Josh Battle from that list and the latest Saints non existence could be enticing as a Nathan Murphy replacement
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:49 am

We lack high end draft talent (aka kids) we have again over spent to bring in a player from another club, and as such, we have no first round pick.
I have an idea, for a bold play to get back into the draft at seasons end.

North are going to have a ton of high-end picks again, they need experienced and young-ish players for the middle.

Could we dangle De Goey for say a pick inside the top.5 and maybe a future first next year? At 28 he is at his ceiling, and Collingwood needs a mini rebuild to stay relevant.
Yep, it is a big out... but could give us some big ins.

Collingwood do have to spend the capital correctly. Enough spending on nice to haves rather than needs...I.e a TALL Key forward!!! Which you can only get inside the top 5 to 10 picks!!!

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:41 pm

De Goey would be 3 picks like Jeremy Cameron because I can’t see him going to a bottom 4 team, he would only go to a contender.

If we don’t have the junior cattle coming through, we have to go to FA unless we bottom out to gain early picks or trade out 20somethings to get early draft capital. Not sure anyone wants to leave at this point.

If we want FAs this year we need to retire some players to free the cash. Then we could target Florent, Battle, Hardwick this year and another few next year.

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
De Goey would be 3 picks like Jeremy Cameron because I can’t see him going to a bottom 4 team, he would only go to a contender.

If we don’t have the junior cattle coming through, we have to go to FA unless we bottom out to gain early picks or trade out 20somethings to get early draft capital. Not sure anyone wants to leave at this point.

If we want FAs this year we need to retire some players to free the cash. Then we could target Florent, Battle, Hardwick this year and another few next year.

Possibly three first rounders, but unlikely, as when your getting to that value of trade they (lets say North - for this example) would want Collingwood to pay a fair whack of his remaining contract value.

But yes I agree, unlikely De Goey would want to go to a bottom four side. And in that case, if the Pies were happy to send him to a contender...well they would have to have decent draft capital to trade...or need a complex three way trade.

I think this end of season is going to be a giant cross road for Collingwood in terms of both the aged players...but also the draft. Without getting in talent this side is going to struggle to defy football gravity.

So do you accept your going down for a year or two to rise back up (hopefully). Do you sell some capital in order to bring in missing parts? In the later case we don't have alot to sell, that would bring in value requirements for picks.

memoryofmchale 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:25 pm

Watch the situation with the Scottish Suitcase ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 133, 134, 135  Next
Page 134 of 135   

Jump to: