Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pay increases & perks.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you get frequent pay rises?
Yes, annually reviewed.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Yes, if I initiate negotiations.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
What's a pay rise?
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:31 am
Post subject: Pay increases & perks.Reply with quote

So obviously there's a lot of talks around; inflation, wage increases, interest rates etc and tax return time is almost upon us once again.

In the mining sector we have performance review/salary increases every financial year. It's a process whereby you blow your own trumpet and rate yourself in four key areas; Lead, Care, Think & Perform. It's then rated by your supervisor, you have a discussion and from there your pay rise and STIP bonus is calculated.

Last year I was pretty happy with the 8% pay increase I received and the bonus, well, it's always a bonus to get one!
Labour shortages in the sector should see similar pay increases handed out this FY.

How do you go about negotiating a pay increase? Is it an annual conversation you have with your employer?

Last edited by Skids on Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit down with myself and discuss if I can afford to pay myself more by charging my clients more.
My son works for me and we normally discuss pay rates twice a year to see what rates we can do for him, before him I had an employee and we did the same.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:14 pm

In my last long term role, I got an annual performance review, recently taking on short term roles I negotiate salary on commencement and again on contract extension.

In my current one I just got a 2 year extension with a modest increase (didn't ask for one) and will get a review in 12 months time.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:05 pm

i voted for negotiations, it goes like this: yes honey you can buy another car, ill be getting a 100-400mm L lens, second generation, new, not used!
Yes honey, you can get that one too, and ill be getting an R5!
(we are self employed!)

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:18 pm

We get a very modest, well below inflation pay rise every year. You also move up a pay point each year as long as you haven't been completely incompetent.

No room to negotiate, it's all set by EBA and government policies.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:46 pm

A lovely surprise today...

In recognition of the strong company performance over the past year driven by the outstanding work of our people, we will be paying a one-off Special Bonus. This bonus also acknowledges your loyalty and continued performance throughout a challenging COVID-19 environment.

That's on top of; STIP (August), Loyalty (September) & CPS (December) bonuses we already get.

Not bad coin. Sparkys (who are the highest paid trade) on a 2/2 roster with 5 years service are on circa $250k/pa.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:42 pm

Five years in the same job and my pay hasn't gone up by a cent. Working for a nonprofit in the arts is definitely a fast-track to wealth!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:04 pm

^

That sounds bogus to me.

I assume you're under a modern award, not an EBA, but even those get increases. Confused Have you asked for one?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:19 pm

No, and I doubt they could afford it to be honest. This is the problem with working for a small organisation – I feel too goddamn loyal! If it were somewhere bigger I wouldn't think twice.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:27 pm

Just ask anyway. Sounds like you're being ripped off, small organisation or not.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:40 pm

David wrote:
Five years in the same job and my pay hasn't gone up by a cent. Working for a nonprofit in the arts is definitely a fast-track to wealth!

That sucks. My pay has increased over 20% in the same period.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:47 am

stui magpie wrote:
Just ask anyway. Sounds like you're being ripped off, small organisation or not.

Yeah, you have to David. Even of you frame it as keeping up with the cost of living, which is the bare minimum you need to do for yourself even in a social org.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:22 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

That sucks. My pay has increased over 20% in the same period.

Mine has actually gone down, but that's because I chose to go for more operational roles and reduce my hours where I could. My current role is back in snr management but as it's a smaller place there's also operational elements. I'm earning basically the same as i got in my last role but that was full time and I'm now working a 30hr 4 day week . The hourly rate is close to what I was on 5 years ago but with far less pressure.

Works for me.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:56 pm

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Yeah, you have to David. Even of you frame it as keeping up with the cost of living, which is the bare minimum you need to do for yourself even in a social org.

Thanks guys. My predicament is that the organisation seems perilously close to going under lately, and I really value the work I do; like, if they couldn’t afford to pay me at all I would even consider volunteering just to keep it going for a little while longer. (And I’m not just being selfless; I get a lot out of the job and don’t particularly want to have to look for a different one, as I would have to if this operation went under.) I also work with staff members who are paid even less than I am – I feel that if there’s any money spare to give anyone a pay rise, they should get it first.

I know how bad this sounds, and, as a union member, this is all totally contrary to my principles. I also know that heaps of businesses exploit their employees’ sense of loyalty and reject pay-rise requests on the basis that the company will go under (or other staff members might lose jobs) if they accede to them. But what do you do when it’s not bullshit, and you know for a fact that they genuinely can’t afford to pay you more?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:21 pm

If you know they genuinely can't afford it and you enjoy working there, you suck it up. Job satisfaction is a far stronger retention factor than money.

But I'd still ask the question so you're sure and not just assuming. If they can't, they can't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: