Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Roe vs Wade overturned in the US

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
I've read that polls consistently show between 60 to 70 percent of Americans support a woman's right to abortion and yet 100% of these Republicans seemingly don't.

So much for the separation between church and state.

This should be a wake up call for every Australian also who respects a women's right to choose as it's pretty obvious that organised religion in this country (just like America) is increasingly looking to infiltrate political parties (the Coalition in particular) with candidates to stay relevant and influential as their congregation numbers fall year on year.

Really? A friend was saying something similar the other day, but I’m pretty sceptical. Abortion is just not the same cultural lightning rod here, and seeing Bernie Finn get dumped on by Liberals the other day for his post suggests this is a marginal position even on the right here. Even Abbott, one of the most prominent anti-abortion politicians of the last generation, got to be PM and still wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.

The fact is that even in the far more religiously conservative US, there’s simply no way they could get a ban passed electorally; as you say, the majority of the population are opposed, so the only viable tactic is to sneak it through an ideologically appointed supreme court, which doesn’t exist here. If anything, Christian political lobbyists have gone steadily backwards here over the past two decades. So I don’t see any reason to be worried about it happening here.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:21 pm

^

Yep, the Church is losing it's power and has been for ages. Just look at Ireland where the Church used to rule but now has same sex marriage and legal abortion.

the US is a funny case as the traditional churches don't have as much sway.

My view is that the Libs try to pander to the increasingly small number of relgious idealogues as it's still a cohort of voters but as you said with Abbott and Abortion it's only small stuff.

Every state in Australia has legal abortion, any government who tried to change that would be arseholed out at the next election.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:43 am

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

“Mexico pledges to build the wall”

https://mobile.twitter.com/chaser/status/1540345190040215552?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:09 pm

Saw a post that said something like “we will guarantee your child protection before birth but we can promise to keep the safe til recess.

On a current affair they were talking about extended the reach to sodomy etc.

I just can’t believe such a step backwards.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

From what I understand, it's the correct decision from the perspective of the US Constitution.

As Alito wrote. “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

While it now falls to the hands of States to regulate, it is also possible for the Congress to now try to legislate abortion, which could go two ways, including if the Republicans get control of the House and Senate, they might very well legislate to make abortion illegal.

It makes the midterms interesting.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:08 pm

There is no "correct decision from the perspective of the US Constitutrion". There are merely two competing theories of interpretation, one conservative, one not.

If you care, I commented on the legislative position on the previous page.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:13 pm

The sheer number of abortions shocked me.

According to WHO, every year in the world there are an estimated 40-50 million abortions. This corresponds to approximately 125,000 abortions per day.

In the USA, where nearly half of pregnancies are unintended and four in 10 of these are terminated by abortion , there are over 3,000 abortions per day. Twenty-two percent of all pregnancies in the USA (excluding miscarriages) end in abortion.
https://www.worldometers.info/abortions/

The rate of abortion in the USA (20.8/1000), is very similar to NZ (19.7) & Australia (19.7). The 3 countries ranking 15th, 17th & 18th respectively.

Russia (53.7), Vietnam (35.2) & Kazakhstan (35) have the highest rates.

Mexico has the least with just 0.1/1000

Portugal, Qatar, India, Spain, Germany.South Africa, Austria, Greece, Croatia, Switzerland & Belgium are other countries with very low rates of abortion.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm

The Supreme Court is supposed to make decisions based on law, not morals. There's an argument they got it right in the legal sense, that now leaves it up to the states and the people in those states.

@Skids, yeah there are a lot of abortions. Considering the preventative measures readily available abortion shouldn't be the primary measure of birth control, but if a women gets pregnant and for whatever reason doesn't want to have a child, she should have the right to terminate that pregnancy without judgement.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:56 pm

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/09/1002593823/how-democratic-is-american-democracy-key-pillars-face-stress-tests

Well, the Supreme court certainly is minority rule now and that's on the back of the American political system.

For mine the quickest and easiest way to ease the politicization of the Supreme Court is to introduce term limits.

I kind of figure if a President is limited to 8 years then that's a good enough starting point for any Supreme Court appointee.

P.S- How can Clarence Thomas possibly be allowed to remain as a Supreme Court justice when he clearly has a conflict of interest due to his marriage?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/03/ginni-thomas-clarence-thomas-mark-meadows-text-messages

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:30 pm

Introducing term limits is good in theory but won't happen easily.

The simplest and most complicated way forward is at the ballot box. If enough people care enough to vote for Pro-Choice , then politicians will listen. It's a state by state situation.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:28 am

I'm not totally across the situation there, but my impression is that there's a massive partisan gulf: the blue states will continue to have overwhelming public support for abortion rights and legislate accordingly, but the red states will use this ruling to further crack down on them. Perhaps, in some of the latter, a pro-choice ballot measure might be able to get up even under a Republican state government, but it seems likely that abortion will be made all but (if not entirely) illegal in most southern states and that this will reflect the will of the majority in those jurisdictions.

What I'd be fascinated to figure out is what, if anything, the Democratic Party leadership is proposing apart from their own version of "thoughts and prayers" (i.e. saying how angry and sad they are). They have the presidency and both houses of congress, and yet on nearly every issue that their voters consider priorities (abortion, gun control, voter rights, healthcare, etc.), they seem to be completely impotent. Is there any actual strategy right now? Is anyone even able to propose one?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:56 am

^They definitely are working to circumvent it. Here's an article I noticed the other day, but there have been many more:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/opinion/supreme-court-guns-religion.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:23 am

Little cause for optimism in that piece, at any rate. Progressive-leaning states can and will find loopholes where they can. But these are piecemeal responses that won't do much of anything to help people living under Republican state administrations, and at the federal level things are looking very bleak indeed.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:50 am

That's the problem with having a shabby national court, on which the judges play politics openly.

By way of example, Thomas' specifically-foreshadowed targets, derived from the same interpretation that he just trashed in Dobbs, include gay marriage and contraceptives but not the ability of blacks and whites to marry (presumably, he thinks that might hit a little too close to home).

Make no mistake, most of the bits of America that we don't actually hate derive from the jurisprudence of prior Supreme Courts.

With a bit of luck, they'll decriminalize the KKK, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: