Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hall of Fame Thread. Fighting for Collingwood recognition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Still waiting for Dick Lee to be elevated to "legend" status.

The man deserves to be recognised.

I'm getting tired of it. The man should have been elevated in 1996.

How??

And then we look at the hall itself.

Anthony Stevens is in... Simon Goodwin is in.... yet we're waiting for Thorold Merrett to get called up. We're waiting for Harold Rumney to get called up. We're waiting for Marcus Whelan to get called up.

We saw Ron Todd (Joined with Williamstown) go in in 2017 (Absolutely overdue). Buckley as a first ballot in 2011. That's two inductions in 10 years. (I'm not counting Hardie or Phillips).

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:25 pm

There's always been a perceived anti-Collingwood bias at AFL house.

Look at the VFL/AFL team of the century which was formulated in 1996 to illustrate this point.

This was a club who had won 14 premierships (3rd highest at the time), had the longest-serving and most successful coach of all time and the record all-time goal kicker and yet they were overlooked.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:39 pm

Dick Condon another that hasn't been included.
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:06 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Still waiting for Dick Lee to be elevated to "legend" status.

The man deserves to be recognised.

I'm getting tired of it. The man should have been elevated in 1996.

How??

And then we look at the hall itself.

Anthony Stevens is in... Simon Goodwin is in.... yet we're waiting for Thorold Merrett to get called up. We're waiting for Harold Rumney to get called up. We're waiting for Marcus Whelan to get called up.

We saw Ron Todd (Joined with Williamstown) go in in 2017 (Absolutely overdue). Buckley as a first ballot in 2011. That's two inductions in 10 years. (I'm not counting Hardie or Phillips).

The whole idea of these "halls of fame" is another example of fashionable pseudo-American nonsense. We would all be better off without it.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Whoever is on the board in 2022, I want a push for these names to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in the coming years;

Dick Condon (died in 1946)
Marcus Whelan (died in 1973)
Harold Rumney (died in 1987)
Ray Gabelich (died in 2000)

However, the biggest push needs to be for Thorold Merrett who will be 88 in September. Please induct this Collingwood legend before it's too late.

Therold is a 2x best and fairest winner, a 2x premiership player where he was best on ground in 1958. He is on the Collingwood Team of the Century and played 180 games.

He is an absolute icon of our club and should 100% be in the Hall. And he needs to be our next selection to go in.

Once Merrett is in, then I'd like to see a push for those mentioned earlier and possibly Darren Millane (died in 1991). Although, I'm not sure when the right time for that will be.

Billy Picken is also someone that I'd like to see the club push for selection into the HoF. He is now 65 years old. Dane Swan is eligible in 2022. It'll be interesting to see if he goes straight in, or if he is made to wait. Personally, I'd still rather see Merrett go in first. After everyone above is in, Sav Rocca would be next with Pendlebury to go in the second he is eligible.

The other thing the club should be pushing hard is something we've been talking about for years. And that is the elevation of Dick Lee to Legend Status. 230 games. 707 goals. 7x leading goal kicker. 3 Premierships. Collingwood Team of the Century. 19 games for Victoria. His legacy is enough, and let's face it, he should have been elevated 20 years ago.

Jack Regan, Syd Coventry, Albert Collier & Harry Collier will probably never be elevated. But I believe all should at least be considered. Peter Daicos would be amazing to see be elevated as he inspired a generation of supporters and was the first of his kind, I just dont think they'll consider him.

Mick Malthouse is the only one I'm sure that will be elevated to Legend Status in the near future. But of course, we share him as a coach with West Coast. Whilst his playing days were all Richmond.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 pm

In short, I want the club to push BIG to get Merrett into the HoF and Lee to be elevated to legend. Once those two things happen, I will be very happy.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:58 pm
Post subject: Hall of Fame Thread. Fighting for Collingwood recognition.Reply with quote

Attention Collingwood Board Members (HoF Plea). TUESDAY 14th

Following on from this thread: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=81359

It's time to push hard for Collingwood recognition. The two biggest in particular, Dick Lee's elevation to legend status and Thorold Merrett's induction into the Hall of Fame.

Both these things should have happened years ago. And I mean as far back as when the Hall first started in 1996. How both have not yet happened is beyond me!

We saw Ron Todd (Joined with Williamstown) go in in 2017 (absolutely overdue), and we saw Buckley as a first ballot go in 2011. That's two inductions in 10 years. (I'm not counting Hardie or Phillips).

2 inductions in ten years. TWO! https://youtu.be/fGeIvKEgTWE?t=5

Anthony Stevens is in... Simon Goodwin is in.... Terry Wallace is in... yet we're waiting for Thorold Merrett to get called up. We're waiting for Harold Rumney to get called up. We're waiting for Marcus Whelan to get called up. We're waiting for Dick Condon to get called up.

Thorold Merrett is now 88 years old. Please AFL, please induct him now.

Injuries to his leg stopped his career at 26 years of age, but that should not be an issue as many players who had their careers shortened by injuries are already in, one of them elevated to legend status.

Quote:
Collingwood Best and Fairest 1958, 1959
Collingwood premiership side 1953, 1958
Collingwood Team of the Century (wing)
Collingwood Hall of Fame
180 Games, 148 goals

The biggest push needs to be for Thorold Merrett who will be 88 in September. Please induct this Collingwood legend before it's too late. He is an absolute icon of our club and should 100% be in the Hall. And he needs to be our next selection to go in.

After Merrett, the following need to be heavily considered:
Dick Condon (died in 1946)
Marcus Whelan (died in 1973)
Harold Rumney (died in 1987)
Ray Gabelich (died in 2000).

Dick Lee. The other thing the club should be pushing hard is something we've been talking about for years. And that is the elevation of Dick Lee to Legend Status. 230 games. 707 goals. 7x leading goal kicker. 3 Premierships. Collingwood Team of the Century. 19 games for Victoria. His legacy is more then enough, but sadly played for a club that is well hated and anyone that saw him play is now long gone.

He was one of the first great forwards in Australian Football history, with an ability to win the ball on the ground or in the air. His elevation is 20 years overdue.

Let's right two big wrongs here and get Merrett into the Hall and Lee elevated to Legend. Then we can focus on getting Gordon Coventrys statue put in place outside the MCG.

Last edited by Presti35 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:05 pm

The idea that Dick Lee could have been left out of the initial round of Legends is alien to me.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:24 pm

Got to get a Jock McHale statue at the MCG everyone else has
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:12 pm

Last years ceremony was held in August with no one in attendance. I wonder when this years will be?

I just hope the club has gone to the HoF committee with questions on our lack of inclusion.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 pm

Still no news on the date for this years induction.

2 inductions in ten years, just not right. I understand we're not liked as a club. I understand the media prefers to focus on the negative. I understand that the AFL loves to overhype modern day players.

Thorold Merrett must be included this year. And Dick Lee must be elevated to legend soon.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:03 pm

In 2018, the HoF was held on the 28th of May. In 2019; June 4. In 2020; June 1.

In 2021 the event was held in late August after covid restrictions.

So the event must be close?

The curent selection committee is:

Quote:
South Australia: Graham Cornes, Bruce McAvaney, Michael O'Loughlin, Patrick Keane, Mark Genge.

Victoria: Karen Lyon, David Parkin, Paul Marsh.

Western Australia: Richard Goyder, Tania Armstrong, Ross Glendinning.

So to say we'll get a fair look is a stretch.

I really hope the club has pushed for Merrett to go into the HoF and for Lee to be elevated. 2 inductions in ten years is very questionable.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:51 pm

Did I just hear this right? Carlton have put forward a case to induct Diesel Williams to legend status.

C'mon Collingwood. C'mon AFL. Elevate the real legends from pre-1940 first.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:29 am

The event will be held on Tuesday the 14th at 7pm.

This HAS to be the year we get some recognition. 2 inductees in ten years and it'll soon be 0 in ten years.

Lee for Legend!

Thorold for the Hall!

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 pm

Ok, here we go. The 2022 HoF starts now. (7PM)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11   

Jump to: