Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 5 - Last Blood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
One thing I’ve never quite understood myself – is there any point in continuing to test once you know you have it? Which is to say, is there any correlation between a negative test and the condition passing, or is it expected that the virus will linger in your system days or weeks after you’ve recovered?
My perception from people that I know that test till they are negative is that are actually thinking of others. They like myself simply don't want to infect others. I know it's hard to understand with the current "ME" generation that only thinks about themselves.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:37 pm

At least 20 more people from that function have tested positive and sure people can do it so they have time off. In saying that they still continue to WFH which they would be doing anyway. Now the function had 170 people and let's say conservatively that's 30 people infected from that function, that's around 18% which is wow as far as I am concerned.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:51 pm

Curious for people who have tested positive on a RAT, do they show up straight away? The tests always say wait 15 minutes but curious if they show up positive straight away or it does actually take time?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:27 pm

Culprit wrote:
David wrote:
One thing I’ve never quite understood myself – is there any point in continuing to test once you know you have it? Which is to say, is there any correlation between a negative test and the condition passing, or is it expected that the virus will linger in your system days or weeks after you’ve recovered?
My perception from people that I know that test till they are negative is that are actually thinking of others. They like myself simply don't want to infect others. I know it's hard to understand with the current "ME" generation that only thinks about themselves.

This exactly

My hubby is high risk, and he’s not exactly cautious so one of us has to be responsible! Plus, I’m $$%^%%$ sick to death of being on my own! I can spend plenty of time alone and not feel lonely, but it’s different when you don’t have a choice! And I’m sick of feeling sick! I want to be better!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:35 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Curious for people who have tested positive on a RAT, do they show up straight away? The tests always say wait 15 minutes but curious if they show up positive straight away or it does actually take time?

During the pandemic I must have used a dozen rats easy, nothing, this time I expected nothing and as soon as the fluid got to the positive line it lit up very deep red! Both times! I waited til Sunday to test again, instantly, yesterday it was slower, same today,

So I called my good doctor today and they do free Telehealth calls for covid positive patients. She suggested the antiviral drug, and texted me a script. Junior went to getit on the way home, sold out, but I rang the pharmacy near the doctor, and they are holding one for me, junior will pick it up tonight on the way home from netball. Apparently it should see me test negative within 3 days, but I’m day 6 anyway I think!

I reckon the fever has finally gone, but I’ve got a chest full of phlegm. No energy. Feel shit. Metallic taste in my mouth that won’t go. Ears are sore, eyes are really sore, yes definitely like a bad case of bay fever. I’m itching to get to training! And you know, just live!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:46 am

My company gives us RATS for free and if I have to buy any I am reimbursed. Not as good as a PCR test.

A dozen more positive today and 2 were in the office yesterday and happened to go to the meeting I avoided. The 2 I have had emails from tell me their symptoms were hay feverish and thought they would check.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:17 am

Culprit wrote:
David wrote:

That’s not what I was asking, though – my question is whether a subsequent negative or positive result in the days after you’ve initially tested positive actually even tells you whether you’re still sick or still at risk of passing it on to others. Like, is it actually giving you that information? If so, it’s strange that repeated testing was never recommended as part of isolation protocols (or do I have complete goldfish memory on this and it was?).

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:07 pm

think positive wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

During the pandemic I must have used a dozen rats easy, nothing, this time I expected nothing and as soon as the fluid got to the positive line it lit up very deep red! Both times! I waited til Sunday to test again, instantly, yesterday it was slower, same today,

So I called my good doctor today and they do free Telehealth calls for covid positive patients. She suggested the antiviral drug, and texted me a script. Junior went to getit on the way home, sold out, but I rang the pharmacy near the doctor, and they are holding one for me, junior will pick it up tonight on the way home from netball. Apparently it should see me test negative within 3 days, but I’m day 6 anyway I think!

I reckon the fever has finally gone, but I’ve got a chest full of phlegm. No energy. Feel shit. Metallic taste in my mouth that won’t go. Ears are sore, eyes are really sore, yes definitely like a bad case of bay fever. I’m itching to get to training! And you know, just live!

Thanks TP, glad to hear you're starting to improve, Mum had the anti virals when she had it and they worked wonders.

David wrote:

That’s not what I was asking, though – my question is whether a subsequent negative or positive result in the days after you’ve initially tested positive actually even tells you whether you’re still sick or still at risk of passing it on to others. Like, is it actually giving you that information? If so, it’s strange that repeated testing was never recommended as part of isolation protocols (or do I have complete goldfish memory on this and it was?).

I'm pretty sure there was a time where a negative test was required, but that may have been just in some settings?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:30 pm

The settings have changed. It's now 5 days after you tested positive you are free to roam in the wild. That's if you test or actually report it. There is still a percentage of people who run with conspiracy theories.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:05 pm

Culprit wrote:
The settings have changed. It's now 5 days after you tested positive you are free to roam in the wild. That's if you test or actually report it. There is still a percentage of people who run with conspiracy theories.

There are in reality no settings whatsoever, because no individual is under any compulsion to even conduct a test. The current reality is that covid has the same significance as a common cold. If you suspect you have it, you might or might not test and isolate . It really only depends on the severity of the symptoms of each individual as to what course of action they pursue, as well as their personal circumstances.
Those in precarious casual work, with no employment protections, feel always pressured to turn up to work, just to retain a source of income.
Any notion of public health, and the responsibility of society as a whole to minimise the spread of a pathogenic virus, has been utterly repudiated. It is simply down to survival of the fittest.
But this is not what society as a whole wants.
It is what the capitalist elite wants, because public health measures are a barrier to profit.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:41 am

Glad things are picking up, TP. I mentioned research being done on post-Covid side-effects and long covid. This paper looks excellent, and it's a free read in a top journal:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-022-00846-2

It's probably the last thing you feel like reading if you're recovering, but it might be worthwhile given the high rate of lingering effects.

Other free papers and docs I bumped into which might offer insight:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10122758/

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-41879-2

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/prevalenceofongoingsymptomsfollowingcoronaviruscovid19infectionintheuk/2february2023

https://www.who.int/europe/news/item/14-03-2023-what-is-the-best-way-to-treat-a-complex-new-disease-like-post-covid-19-condition-(long-covid)--researchers-in-belgium-are-developing-the-answer

https://www.bmj.com/content/381/bmj-2022-074425

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK570608/

Crikey, I know you're well-vaccinated, but out of interest here's what the cardiac data looks like for the poor buggers who got Covid before the vaccines were rolled out, just in case anyone is tempted to buy into anti-vaxxer nonsense. I know it's only one study, but it's comprehensive and was published at the start of this year:

Quote:
Professor Wong said: “This study was conducted during the first wave of the pandemic, and future research should evaluate subsequent outbreaks. Previous research has indicated that COVID-19 vaccination may prevent complications, and further studies are needed to investigate its effectiveness in reducing the risks of cardiovascular disease and death after COVID-19 infection in patients with COVID-19 vaccination compared to those without vaccination.”

Quote:
More than 7,500 patients with COVID-19 infection diagnosed from 16 March 2020 to 30 November 2020 were identified from UK Biobank.2 Each patient was matched with up to 10 individuals without COVID-19 during the study period (16 March 2020 to the end of follow-up on 31 August 2021) and a historical cohort before the pandemic (16 March 2018 to 30 November 2018).

Quote:
Compared to uninfected individuals, the likelihood of COVID-19 patients dying was up to 81 times higher in the first three weeks of infection and remained five times higher up to 18 months later.

Quote:
Data were obtained from medical and death records for outcomes including major cardiovascular disease (a composite of heart failure, stroke and coronary heart disease); numerous cardiovascular conditions such as stroke, atrial fibrillation and myocardial infarction; death from cardiovascular disease; and all-cause death. Associations were evaluated for the acute phase (within 21 days of COVID-19 diagnosis) and the post-acute phase (starting at 22 days after diagnosis and continuing up to 18 months). Participants with a history of a particular outcome were excluded from that analysis.

Compared with the two uninfected cohorts, patients with COVID-19 were approximately four times more likely to develop major cardiovascular disease in the acute phase and 40% more likely in the post-acute phase. Compared to uninfected individuals, the risk of death in COVID-19 patients was up to 81-fold higher in the acute phase and five-fold higher in the post-acute phase. Patients with severe COVID-19 were more likely to develop major cardiovascular disease or die than non-severe cases.

COVID-19 patients had a greater likelihood of several cardiovascular conditions compared with uninfected participants in both the short- and long-term including myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, heart failure, and deep vein thrombosis. Risks of some cardiovascular conditions – for example stroke and atrial fibrillation – were elevated in COVID-19 patients in the short-term but then returned to normal levels.

See: https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/covid-19-patients-retain-elevated-risk-of-death-for-at-least-18-months-after-inf

Jeepers, no wonder there was a shortage of workers. 'All in the mind', many people were told, while idiots still spout on about the vaccines being ineffective because they're not perfect.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:00 pm

cheers mate thankyou, i will certainly have a look at that link as i know a couple of people affected by long covid xxx

this morning my test result was a very faint line, so im almost out of the woods, wooohooo!!

im very low on energy, partly because im still very light headed. Im making brillint food choices simply because I want energy, I cant stomach crap, Id already lost 2.5kg on my own and now im down 4 in total! Very happy with that, it seems im finally past the no can lose weight menopause state! over the fricken moon!!!!

this morning hubby woke up sick as a dog! hes testing negative, so i gave him my antibiotics (the ones the first quack gave me, not the antivirals). hopefully its just a sore throat, hes fast asleep right now!

meanwhile, last couple of days i finished a project close to my heart. I mad a video of all the footy pics ive taken since McCrae and co's first training in2021. its given me no end of drama, the size, and also music copyright! the short 10 min version is uploading now, ill post it soon! the long version im happy to email to anyone that wants it! its also on my instagram, #joannecarolphotography sans music! its not bad, but the music makes it!!!!

cheers,

i have such a new positive outlook on life today!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:03 pm

think positive wrote:

this morning my test result was a very faint line, so im almost out of the woods, wooohooo!!

The way I understood it was that you'll continue to test positive for a few weeks after getting over it.
I remember when it was all lockdowns and tests before flying to work, if we caught covid, after becoming symptom free, we were given a testing exemption card that was valid for 3 months.

Who knows, I've had it twice and never tested positive on a RAT.

Good your getting well TP. Crazy how it is so variable on how it hits people, I've had colds that were worse.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:46 pm

^ That's the thing about viruses - for whatever reason they affect different people differently. Even the most dangerous viruses like Ebola don't tend to kill everyone (the fatality rate for past outbreaks probably averages around 1 in 2) and there are plenty of people who have the associated "illness" so mildly that they are effecfively "symptom free". Here's a report on one case study:

Quote:
In 2014 Ebola hit the village of Sukudu in eastern Sierra Leone. Officially, 34 cases were diagnosed among roughly 800 residents from November of that year until February 2015. Twenty-eight people died and six patients survived. Richardson and his colleagues wondered if more people in the village could have been infected, but they hadn't checked in at the local treatment center.

Richardson, who teaches medicine at Brigham and Women's hospital in Boston and is pursuing a Ph.D. in anthropology at Stanford, set out to identify villagers who may have been been unaware that they were infected by the virus.

"During that time [the outbreak] all the houses that had a case were quarantined. All of the houses that shared a public latrine with those houses were quarantined and all the neighbors were quarantined," says Richardson, speaking at the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene's annual meeting in Atlanta. "We went back and drew blood from everybody that was quarantined."

Out of the 180 people they tested, 14 had antibodies to Ebola, showing that they'd been infected with disease. These were people who had not previously been counted among the 34 Ebola cases in Sukudu. Two of them remembered being mildly sick around the time of the outbreak. The other 12 didn't remember being sick at all. This suggests that nearly half the Ebola infections in Sukudu during the outbreak went undetected.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/11/15/502156239/what-if-you-had-ebola-and-didnt-even-know-it#
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:23 am

Skids wrote:
think positive wrote:

The way I understood it was that you'll continue to test positive for a few weeks after getting over it.
I remember when it was all lockdowns and tests before flying to work, if we caught covid, after becoming symptom free, we were given a testing exemption card that was valid for 3 months.

Who knows, I've had it twice and never tested positive on a RAT.

Good your getting well TP. Crazy how it is so variable on how it hits people, I've had colds that were worse.

im negative now, and .... hubby is positive. i mean fuxcking fucketyfuckfuckinghell. worst. nightmare.

stay in the $$%^%%$ room. stay. there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 59 of 62   

Jump to: