Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 5 - Last Blood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all relative, but for what it's worth around 10 people a day are currently dying from COVID in Australia, which is higher than it's been since July.

If that doesn't sound like a big deal, nearly 6000 people have died from COVID in Australia in total in 2023, or 26% of total COVID deaths in this country since the beginning of the pandemic, which I guess most of us wouldn't have noticed based on the minimal media coverage of the pandemic since the end of the lockdowns.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/#graph-deaths-daily

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:22 pm

^^More people die daily of heroin overdoses. Yes, it's all relevant, and in saying that the media as a whole is pretty average and Covid just exposed how pathetic they are. My perception is all you need is a few social media accounts and bang you are a journo. Journalism was once a highly respected profession, now it sits alongside used car salesman.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:56 pm

Journos have been that way as long as I can remember!

People are forgetting, that’s the problem. I forgot. I can’t believe I didn’t think to test, or to test junior!

My uncle and aunt I was meant to visit last Thursday, the day I got sick, are elderly, and not in good health. I’m so so thankful I didn’t go and visit them.

10 people a day…… ugh, I’d never have forgiven myself.

Day 5, still light sensitive, but the blurry vision is all but gone, feel like crap, but definitely on the mend. Still testing positive!

David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:10 pm

The thing that blew my mind is how many people have died since the lockdowns finished and most of the population was vaccinated. Between March 2020 and October 2021 (when the last lockdowns finished in Victoria and New South Wales), there had only been 1688 deaths from COVID in Australia; in the two years since, over 20,000 have died.

So if we've had 20,000 deaths with a mostly vaccinated population, can anyone imagine how many would have died if we hadn't done lockdowns beforehand? They must have saved tens of thousands of lives, minimum. Those deaths that would have occurred could have been anyone here, or their loved ones. Could have been me, for that matter. So as much as the lockdowns sucked and we all look back on it as an awful time, they were literally a lifesaver in a big way.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:34 pm

^

maybe, maybe not. You'd need to look at the demographics of the people who've died. The lockdowns may have saved 10's of thousands of lives or maybe just gifted a small minority a few extra years.

I read a good article recently somewhere, because of the number of elements combined in the restrictions in Victoria, it's impossible to objectively analyse which ones worked. There's just too many moving parts.

What that means is that if we do get a bad variant or some other such new gift from China, they don't know which levers to pull.

Do we actually need lockdowns or will masks suffice? Don't know.

Do we need to stop kids going to school and playing in playgrounds again? Don't know.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:46 pm

What’s it going to take for masks to be mandatory again? I can see it coming.

I agree with David on the lockdowns thing, as hard as it was. Just look at countries like the states who couldn’t control their population. Maybe it went too far sometimes, but yeah, I’m not resenting it

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:02 pm

^^Thanks to the media who spent months undermining all health advice along with attacking chief health officers, no one will introduce mask mandates across the board. It will be Hospitals, and aged care off their own bat.

I head to work tomorrow and I have a meeting. I am not going into the small room with 12 people, I will sit in my office with my headset on and Skype in.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:11 pm

^

Skype? Shit they do have money problems at your work. Skype was dead 2 years ago, it's either teams or zoom.

I don't miss going into the office and I definitely don't miss having to wear a fkn mask while there. Not doing that shit again.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:17 pm

We are talking Defence here Shocked I required Corel Draw software and the crap I had to go through, I could have ordered a Blackhawk quicker. No, I still don't have the software, told them to stick and hire a graphic illustrator. My response was "NDP". Not Dale's Problem. I put that out a lot. Laughing
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:41 pm

David wrote:
The thing that blew my mind is how many people have died since the lockdowns finished and most of the population was vaccinated. Between March 2020 and October 2021 (when the last lockdowns finished in Victoria and New South Wales), there had only been 1688 deaths from COVID in Australia; in the two years since, over 20,000 have died.

So if we've had 20,000 deaths with a mostly vaccinated population, can anyone imagine how many would have died if we hadn't done lockdowns beforehand? They must have saved tens of thousands of lives, minimum. Those deaths that would have occurred could have been anyone here, or their loved ones. Could have been me, for that matter. So as much as the lockdowns sucked and we all look back on it as an awful time, they were literally a lifesaver in a big way.

Or imagine if the Andrews Labor Government hadn’t been completely incompetent and had the same success every other state had, Victorians wouldn’t have been subject to long, harsh lockdowns and there wouldn’t have been such a hatred of them.

They may have been necessary in Victoria to cover the Andrews Labor Governments incompetence, but the rest of the country never had to experience that hell.

Glad TP is starting to feel better, heard some horror stories recently from people who’ve had Covid previously and this was much, much worse.

Still only had the bare minimum Covid shots to keep my job, can’t remember last time I wore a mask, sometime before Dans last draconian restrictions ended, and still avoiding it despite doing nothing to avoid it!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:41 pm

Culprit wrote:
^^People have zoned out of information. That happened during Covid thanks to the media. This morning I was greeted by an email that a work get-together Friday has resulted in a mini Covid event. 17 people have tested positive over the weekend and that's expected to rise. I didn't go and looks like I have dodged another bullet.

Funny you mention work functions, we had a big function at work last week, the main part was outdoors but then everyone came inside the tearoom for morning tea.

Since before Covid existed I’ve been big on washing hands or sanitising before eating, last week I completely forgot and was sure I’d get sick, but all good!!!

The last time I was really sick which was my at that stage twice yearly allergy cold was before Covid and I’d gone out to a BBQ, I’d made sure to sanitise pre dinner but forgot later on after some backyard cricket and then started eating some leftovers. Add in leaving 35 degree Wodonga for 15 degree Melbourne in Autumn and I was bad for 2 weeks. Then Covid happened and been healthy for 3.5 years!!!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:59 pm

That sounds like a shocker, TP. How's it coming along today?

Is the knowledge better these days for recovering from Covid specifically? I know over the last year or so various studies have advised on protective measures and follow-up actions.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:36 am

pietillidie wrote:
That sounds like a shocker, TP. How's it coming along today?

Is the knowledge better these days for recovering from Covid specifically? I know over the last year or so various studies have advised on protective measures and follow-up actions.

Don’t feel feverish today, still testing positive!
I’m going to see if I can get a Tele call with my doctor, see what she thinks I should do,

I’m not at risk of falling head first down the stairs now, unless Beau leaves his wanky blankly or a toy there, so that’s a start!

Fed up now, just want it over!

Watched a John Greengo tutorial on my new canon R7, and set both cameras (R6mk2 andR7) up to the same settings, makes it easier to switch cameras which took about 5 hours, so I’m using my time wisely!

I sold my 5Dmk4, only had 20k shots onit, so I got a good price for it, paid for the R7! Hadn’t touched since I got the mirrorless R6mk2, it deserved a good home! I’m keeping the 7Dmk2 that I used for the footy, 116k shots on it, owes me nothing, sentimental value! So the R6 mkii is full frame, that’s now my premium camera, for portraits, long exposures, scenery, the R7 is a cropped sensor, so I mainly bought it for the footy! Gives me an extra 1.6 zoom factor, on top ofthe 200mm max allowed, so I’m shooting at 320mm. Plus, it was half the price of the R6mkii, so it’s my go to for the beach etc!

Sold a few EF (non mirrorless) lenses, as some done work properly with the adapter. The new system has 12 contacts instead of 8, only the L lenses seem to work 100%. Bought a sirui Cine lens for the R7 for $439 in the black Friday sale, canon versions are over 2k! Got it yesterday, oh wow, it’s amazing, even though it’s manual focus! Goes to F1.2, I videoed with just a bedside lamp on! I got a microphone and mini tripod with remote as a cash back deal thing from canon when I bought the R7, so now, even though I didn’t plan it, I’m set to video!

So I’m using the time wisely!

Thanks for asking xxxx stay warm over there! Jealous, I still ache for a white Christmas!

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:25 am

One thing I’ve never quite understood myself – is there any point in continuing to test once you know you have it? Which is to say, is there any correlation between a negative test and the condition passing, or is it expected that the virus will linger in your system days or weeks after you’ve recovered?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:03 pm

^

Once you test negative you should no longer be infectious, even if you still feel sick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 58 of 62   

Jump to: