Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 5 - Last Blood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Valance
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:15 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^ remember the good old days.

- curfew 9pm to 5am
- Stay at home orders
- 5km travel restrictions
- No private visitors
- Public gathering limited to 2 people
- ELC, School and Education closed
- no weddings
- funerals limited to 10
- sports facilities CLOSED
- Retail - CLOSED
- Hairdressing and personal care - CLOSED

That's what the doomsayers want a return to, everyone being locked up because they're scared they want everyone else to suffer too.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:35 am

I know you prefer to think in dichotomies because it makes the world easier for you to grasp - but surely even you understand that it's possible that people don't want others to suffer in a whole variety of ways? It's possible, for example, not to want people to go back into lockdown and also not to want 3,000 people to die.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:07 am

Here's fine example of what happens when you don't get the balance right:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/23/if-youre-shielding-in-england-johnsons-new-normal-is-a-kick-in-the-teeth

Quote:
And with that, Boris Johnson ended all remaining pandemic measures in England. Those who test positive for Covid will no longer have to isolate by law from this Thursday – and from April will not even be advised to stay at home if infected. The £500 self-isolation payment for some people on lower incomes will end. Meanwhile, free testing for the vast majority of the public will end from 1 April, apart from some symptomatic clinically vulnerable and very elderly people. It will soon be entirely legal to test positive – if you’ve even got that far – for coronavirus and then wander into a packed pub.

This was less a plan to “live with coronavirus”, and more to simply ignore it. Ministers offered no epidemiological evidence for pulling Covid protections this winter, with experts warning it could cause a rapid rise in the virus.

The lessons the pandemic taught us – that preventive action and strong public messaging not only save lives but reduce the need for harsher restrictions further down the line – are, not for the first time, being wilfully ignored. The front pages on Monday lauding the Queen for “powering through” Covid in many ways sum up England’s new stance on the virus: a public health crisis can be tackled with personal responsibility mixed with the good old blitz spirit.

It is the millions of clinically vulnerable people who will be the collateral damage. A few days after all England’s coronavirus measures end it will be two years since the shielding programme to protect those at high risk of hospitalisation or death began. It is a bleak anniversary gift from ministers. Many high-risk people, some of whom are not protected by the vaccine owing to their immune systems, feel they must now return to shutting themselves away at home – and with none of the financial or practical support available in 2020.

The article warrants a good read - it's not advocating a return to lockdown - it's merely highlighting that the new public health normal in England will kick the vulnerable in the teeth in a variety of ways. It should suffice to say that it need not be like that. The way the political pendulum swings in such matters, though, there is a real risk that people won't be able to get the assistance they need to live a reasonable life, here, either, if they are in circumstances that mean they can't fully participate in ordinary life while COVID is rife.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:29 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I know you prefer to think in dichotomies because it makes the world easier for you to grasp - but surely even you understand that it's possible that people don't want others to suffer in a whole variety of ways? It's possible, for example, not to want people to go back into lockdown and also not to want 3,000 people to die.

To be fair, Eddie Smith did give you a chance to provide your thoughts on this...

eddiesmith wrote:
So have the doomsayers said what they'd be doing differently? Do you want schools closed? Never ending lockdowns? Masks outdoors? Or just want to complain about people enjoying life but not actually calling for a return to lockdown so nothing would change in your ideal world?

....and he got this reply.

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think the answer you're fishing for is "No, just let people die by the thousands and no-one give a damn."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:27 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Remember when we were told that Omicron was mild and therefore less of a threat than prior versions of COVID?

At the time Omicron was first identified by genomic testing (NSW, 26 November 2021), there had been 1,985 deaths from COVID recorded, Australia-wide (mostly in Victoria).

Australia just passed 5,000 COVID deaths (presently, 5,025 are reported). There have been more than 3,000 deaths reported since 2 December 2021. In the last week, 293 deaths have been reported.

Queensland has recorded almost 500 of its 505 deaths since 6 January 2022.

South Australia has recorded 161 of its 169 deaths since 7 January 2022.

NSW has recorded nearly 2/3 of all deaths in that State (just 663 deaths had been recorded there by 31 December 2021) in 2022. Almost 1,200 of the NSW total of 1,859 deaths have been recorded since 1 January 2022.

Victoria has recorded 884 deaths in 2022, of a total of 2,409 deaths in that State.

Did they all Die OF Covid or how many just had Covid when they Died?
JUST had covid when they died?

If covid was the tipping point for them there is no just! For people who have health vulnerabilities Covid can be a death sentence.

The word ‘just’ in that sentence makes covid a little thing, to the family members of the person who passed away, covid was no little thing.

Take a read about long covid Dave. Aside from death that’s why people who are susceptible to lung decease for a start, need to be extra careful. All the sooking over boosters, my daughters 26 year old bestie has to have a full shot every 2 months, and has since before boosters came out.

Yes I’m sure there have been a few people on their last day who just happened to have covid too, but for the majority I’d say it’s the tipping point. For example, when my BIL died 5 years ago, he had terminal cancer, but he was doing well. He caught an infection while in hospital for a routine blood transfusion, and the infection killed him in 3 days. It robbed us of how ever many weeks or months he had left. I can tell you now, he didn’t just have an infection. It doesn’t matter that he was going to die soon anyway. He may be a statistic to people who never met him, and I get that. But I remember visiting him Easter Saturday, he was good as gold, and looking forward to going home, 2 days later he was in an oxygen mask and it never came off.

A ot of people can’t see this, they should thank their lucky stars they don’t have someone they love who is vulnerable. Until it becomes at least as controllable as the flu, it’s still a worry. Even in a bad foe season, flu doesn’t kill anywhere near as many as covid is still killing.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:32 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

To be fair, Eddie Smith did give you a chance to provide your thoughts on this...

eddiesmith wrote:
So have the doomsayers said what they'd be doing differently? Do you want schools closed? Never ending lockdowns? Masks outdoors? Or just want to complain about people enjoying life but not actually calling for a return to lockdown so nothing would change in your ideal world?

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think the answer you're fishing for is "No, just let people die by the thousands and no-one give a damn."
to be fair the ‘nothing would change in your ideal world’ would elicit sarcasm from me too!

Also, I have not seen P4S asking for lock downs, just common sense! Masks etc.

I really don’t get the bitching about them! Think of firefighters, doctors nurses, us deaf people! Why is it so hard?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:19 am

Epidemiologists with 20-20 hindsight, but pretty much on the money.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/many-omicron-deaths-could-have-been-prevented-experts-say-20220131-p59sjg.html

Lessons to be learned in the lead up to winter, as I see it, are to make sure the most vulnerable have a recent booster shot. Failure to get the booster to everyone in aged care would seem to have been responsible for the majority of recent deaths. The unavailability of rapid tests at those facilities is a secondary one. If you can't get Nanna boosted at least make sure that the family coming to visit aren't carrying the virus.

Yes, Xmas and NYE probably did create super spreader events, but as they note in the article, lockdowns wouldn't have prevented spread.

The good news is, if you look at the graph, daily deaths is definitely reducing, following the trend of hospitalisations.

So the planning in my view for the next wave should focus on protecting the 5% not restricting the 95%.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:50 am

think positive wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

eddiesmith wrote:

Pies4shaw wrote:
to be fair the ‘nothing would change in your ideal world’ would elicit sarcasm from me too!

I really don’t get the bitching about them! Think of firefighters, doctors nurses, us deaf people! Why is it so hard?

Yes, it's not complex, is it?
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:11 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
think positive wrote:

Yes, it's not complex, is it?

It's pretty naive to think you can manage a pandemic (or pretty much anything else) with common sense.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:26 pm

Also worthwhile considering that the Omicron wave took off while mask wearing was mandatory inside and has continued to fall as restrictions have been relaxed.

Normal surgical masks don't offer much protection against Omicron, to get proper protection you need a fitted N95 mask or equivalent and proper infection control technique.

In most cases, the reusable cloth masks that I and others wear are practically useless because of how we use them.

You put it on to go into a shop, fiddle with it constantly, then when you walk out you take it off, put it in your pocket or handbag and repeat the process at the next shop. None of that is conducive to protecting against infection.

How many people would regularly properly sterilise their cloth masks?

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:05 pm

Clive Palmer has covid. At his age and girth it could be problem.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:10 pm

As his party name foretold, he might finally get the chance to Unite Australia in wishing him a swift and painless end to his illness. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:38 pm

Admitted to hospital with "Covid-like" symptoms, not actually diagnosed yet.

Old, Obese, Asthma sufferer and unvaccinated. If he has got it, you'd think he's toast.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:41 pm

^ Well, they said the same about Trump but he turned out fine. So long as they get Clive on whatever top-secret experimental cures they were pumping him full of, I'm sure he'll be back on his feet in no time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 5 of 62   

Jump to: