Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 5 - Last Blood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

KenH wrote:
My wife felt unwell on Thursday so I couldn't go to work she tested positive on Friday, my son and i both felt unwell yesterday and have now confirmed we all have Covid.
So as we are all in the same business (our own) no income coming in for not sure how long. As we mainly work in hospitals and nursing homes I'm guessing we won't be allowed in for 2 weeks.
Hopefully some of the other work places might let us in.
Feeling very crappy at the moment.

Sorry to hear Ken

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:53 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It’s starting to look a little like pandemic-January again. 423 deaths in Australia in the past 7 days - so we’re just above 60 deaths per day. The trend is up.

August is expected to be the peak matching if not exceeding January 2021.

Get ur jabs asap as they’re preventative of ICU and basically death.

N95 masks (properly fitted) work. The standard blue masks act more to reduce the spread rather than reduce contracting the virus.

I wear my blue mask to the footy when I go to the ground, queuing etc and check who is around me when I sitting. It’s still pot luck. I’m avoiding Public Transport b/c there’s too many unmasked idiots and it’s not being policed well enough. Ride my bike or drive to the footy.

Reading the Director of ED email at a major Metropolitan Hospital recently (well June ‘22) were tipping August as noted above to be reaching if not exceeding Jan ‘22 levels.

I work in an Office setting now & we have been wearing masks non-stop. Each staff member had to be fitted for the N95 and the process took about 45 mins! They tested you with hoses attached to a type of valve attached to the mask; incredible really.

It should be mandatory and the CHO should be listened to but the right wing media and the right winger “Freedom” idiots have nobbled the Government. At the same time, there is every opportunity to be vaccinated and to wear masks. You’d be incredibly stupid not to (but that goes without saying) and ve living under a rock if you weren’t aware of it this far down the Coronavirus path.

Israel is currently testing the use of Moderna and Pfizer type vaccinations for preventative use; let’s hope that succeeds.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/modernas-new-variant-busting-covid-vaccine-starting-trial-in-israel/amp/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:56 pm

im booked for no.4, hubby has had his already.
interesting about the N95s, cheers
i have a few of those

thank you to you and all the other health care and front line workers xx

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:17 pm

There's different brands and designs of N95 masks around, the purpose of the fit testing is to make sure the mask can make a seal against your skin as gaps is where the Virus get get in or out.

We did Fit testing for all he Resi Care staff at my previous job last year. Surprisingly a small number of people failed the test with each mark tested due to the shape of their face.

Facial hair also prevents getting a good seal,every male with a beard failed every test with every mask.

I had to go into the office this arvo for a performance meeting, the kind best done face to face. Dopey left my new blue mask in the car but grabbed a black one from reception, wore it for the hour and a half I was there, then left.

The main reason that governments aren't mandating masks again is clearly political. They rightly think that good will has just about been exhausted. Making it mandatory will piss off a lot of people, there'll be low compliance (as evidenced by public transport passengers now) and they don't have the capacity or will to enforce compliance. Particularly not Victoria in an election year.

I've had my 4th shot, so has Mum, if I catch it, I catch it.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:33 pm

The opposition were on the news on Monday slamming the government over the school masks 'mandate' even though it was a recommendation.

The current Government are on a hiding to nothing no matter what they do. The opposition will accuse the Andrews government is being draconian at every opportunity.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:57 pm

The Vic Libs are desperately flailing inconsistently in every direction at one, which ironically demonstrates their lack of competence.

Andrews and his government has served up so much ammunition that anyone with an IQ over 80 could develop a strong, consistent campaign strategy against him.

I'm not seeing that.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:32 pm

This is a marvellous article on the Coronavirus by Professor Paul Komasaroff a medical Dr who did a PhD in Philosophy (Ethics) around the same time. A wonderful sense of humanity. It was written in January this year.

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/the-crisis-forces-us-to-consider-what-kind-of-society-we-want-to-have-20220113-p59nzt.html

(His older sister was one of the first if not first women newsreaders on Commercial TV, Ilona)

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
... anyone with an IQ over 80....

There lies the rub - that's above the cut-off for admission into membership of the LNP.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm

^

Nah, that's the Greens. Lib/Nat and Lab don't need a cut off, it happens naturally. They keep recruiting lawyers.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:09 pm

Looks like Covid in one way shape or form is going to be around for a looong time.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/as-omicron-strains-spread-is-this-the-forever-plague-20220720-p5b2zy.html

Current vaccines aren't that great at preventing infection of the new variants, although they do still provide good protection against getting sick or dying. Downside is more people out infectious who don't know they're infected.

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Australia's COVID-19 cases and death rates were the third highest in the world per capita during the past week, and the numbers are getting worse.

Key points:
Australia ranked third in cases per million people in the past seven days
Experts are pleading with the public to wear masks, get PCR tests if symptomatic and get boosters
Health workers say they are bearing the the strain of the ongoing pandemic
The latest figures show more than 12,625 Australians have died with COVID, and more than 5,000 are in hospital with the virus, including 159 in intensive care.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-25/covid-19-stats-australia-death-rate-high/101266098

Case numbers are rubbish, vastly under reported, RAT's are inaccurate and good luck getting a PCR test. The amount of cold and flu related viruses doing the rounds there'd be very few people who don't currently have some symptoms. The numbers that count are hospitalisations and deaths and large numbers of them haven't had a 3rd dose let alone a 4th dose, so what can you do?.

Hang in folks, Spring is coming

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:58 pm

It may not do a lot but I can't understand why we can't compromise and reintroduce a form of mask mandate whereby customers in a retail setting are required to wear a mask but not the staff.

Requiring someone to wear a mask for 15 minutes when they drop in to a supermarket or for an hour as they browse for new clothes surely isn't that big a burden on all of us in comparison to the old rules where an employee would need to be masked for an entire shift lasting many hours.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:49 pm

Total deaths reported over the last week in Australia: 506. That's the highest weekly figure since the week ending 5 April 2022 (peaked at 507). Before that, you have to go back to the late January/early February peak to get comparable figures.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:40 pm

swoop42 wrote:
It may not do a lot but I can't understand why we can't compromise and reintroduce a form of mask mandate whereby customers in a retail setting are required to wear a mask but not the staff.

Requiring someone to wear a mask for 15 minutes when they drop in to a supermarket or for an hour as they browse for new clothes surely isn't that big a burden on all of us in comparison to the old rules where an employee would need to be masked for an entire shift lasting many hours.

The Government gambled, correctly, that employers would fill the void with many reintroducing WFH where you can and masks in the office where you cant.

Mandating masks for customers in retail settings would have minimal impact on transmission really, the places you're most likely to catch it are Home, Work and Hospitality, places where you're in close proximity to people for extended periods, not walking past them in the toilet paper aisle.

Interestingly, my bosses son caught Covid. Him and a group of mates went out in the city and all except 1 came down with it in 2 days. The boss came down crook 24 hours afterward, with different symptoms and despite being in the house together, car together and sitting beside each other at the footy, she tested negative on multiple RAT's and a PCR test.

It's the 20-40 age group that are catching and spreading it, with mainly little to no symptoms and the 80+ age group dying.

What they need to do is get better messaging at protecting the most vulnerable cohort in my opinion.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Mate who left work because he refused to get the mandated jab, just found out he's got it. Had no idea until they did a PCR on him at hospital when he went in for a broken wrist. No symptoms at all.
Brother & niece, both unvaccinated, had it, mild cold like symptoms for both.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:36 am

^ Most people don’t die of it, if they get it. If your mate remains unvaccinated, though, he continues to run the gauntlet - getting COVID is now a trivial protection against reinfection. It’s just crazy to take the risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 35 of 62   

Jump to: