Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 5 - Last Blood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 60, 61, 62  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
Or Trump saying that a worst-case scenario in America might be 60–70,000 deaths (it's now 955,000, and well on track to surpass 1 million):

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/trump-death-toll-projection-coronavirus-213314

At the moment, he's closer than the estimate of 2.2 million, so if you want to be critical, you should fairly criticise both estimates here.

Whose estimate? In what context was it given? I trust that we’re not going to take Trump’s word for it …

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:18 pm

David wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
Or Trump saying that a worst-case scenario in America might be 60–70,000 deaths (it's now 955,000, and well on track to surpass 1 million):

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/trump-death-toll-projection-coronavirus-213314

At the moment, he's closer than the estimate of 2.2 million, so if you want to be critical, you should fairly criticise both estimates here.

Whose estimate? In what context was it given? I trust that we’re not going to take Trump’s word for it …

The Imperial College predicted 2.2 million deaths in the USA by Aug 2020 if nothing was done. By Aug 2020, the USA had 160,000 deaths.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Also,

Deaths under Trump: 243,000
Deaths during lame duck period:192,000
Death under Biden: 525,000
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:40 pm

So, they estimated 2.2 million deaths in the US "In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour" and you think that somehow means they were "off"?

Where do you source the alt-Nazi US propaganda? I can't imagine you write it yourself.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:52 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, they estimated 2.2 million deaths in the US "In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour" and you think that somehow means they were "off"?

Where do you source the alt-Nazi US propaganda? I can't imagine you write it yourself.

I don't think anyone was 'off'. David tried to be clever saying Trump was 'off' with the benefit of hindsight. Context and timing is everything.

Remember this little beauty: "We're not going to see, you know, 300s and 400s again in Victoria, not under my watch at least". It was reasonable at the time.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:32 am

What'sinaname, your apparent determination to see everything through a partisan lens has led you to totally misinterpret my post. I have no interest in pushing some Trump vs Biden or Trump vs "the scientists" gotcha exercise; I was merely using that quote as an illustration of how much some people underestimated what the eventual US COVID-19 death toll would be. I wish we could be laughing at the doomsayers in hindsight instead, but it didn't quite turn out that way, did it?

The Imperial College figure may well still have been a significant overestimate – and I expect it was on the extreme end of predictions at the time – but as P4S points out, it was measuring the counterfactual of what would happen without restrictions (which is an example of the context I was asking for in the post above). I wouldn't even try to hazard a guess at how many more Americans would have died without lockdowns, social distancing, contact tracing, masks, travel restrictions and vaccines, regardless of how piecemeal and inconsistently deployed those policies have been at different times and in different parts of the country. Maybe they would have hit the 2 million deaths mark a year and a half ago; maybe they wouldn't be too much worse off than they are now. Even with the benefit of hindsight, it's impossible to know.

In any case, as there's no sign of a decline in the death rate over there and god knows how many other variants on the way, it may well be that the final US COVID-19 death toll ends up being a great deal closer to that 2.2 million prediction than it is now. If so, that would suggest that, if anything, even the doomsayers – that is, the most pessimistic of the pessimists in the early months of 2020 – may have been underestimating just how deadly this virus could be.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:07 pm

Just a little update on how Australia is dealing with Omicron.

The rolling averages of weekly deaths since the start of January (listed newest to oldest) are listed below. I have highlighted in bold the running 7-day totals that are at least twice as high as the highest running 7-day total recorded at any time in 2021. For comparison, that was 107, reached just once - on 23 October 2021.

The figures show that Australia has - every day for more than 5 weeks (38 days and counting), now, recorded a rolling number of weekly deaths that is at least twice as high as anything Australia recorded in any week during 2021.

332 (part progressive 7-day total of deaths for the 7-day period ending on 19v February 2022, as at the time of this post on 19 February 2022)

65 (1 January - 7 day-total of deaths for the 7-day period ending on this day)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

The point to take away, really, is that the expression "person with a serious underlying pre-existing medical condition" tends to makes us think of some tiny fraction of the community that we've mostly never met and that are on their last legs, anyway, whereas, in fact, it includes just about every second one of us.

100% this. Dont get the vaccine or wear a mask for yourself, do it for the people you love who are at risk. My hubby, one of my sisters, a brother in law and 2 sister inlaws are at risk. None are on their last legs, none of them are 70 yet, all would be sadly mourned by people who definitely will not see it as well their time was nearly up anyway.

It’s easy when it’s not someone you know. I always think of that road death add when they ask how many deaths are acceptable, they say a number and then their family members come towards them. “Oh god no, none, none are acceptable.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:44 pm

And bloody hell that death table....scary
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:07 pm

^ Just remember, TP: "Delta bad, Omicron good". The pandemic finished last October - the virus just hasn't read the memo.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:24 pm

Australian Governments keep opening up further, restrictions are reducing, hospitalisations continue to decline which means deaths will follow in declining.

The vast majority of people are getting on with their lives after 2 years of restrictions and lockdowns which ruined more lives than the virus has.

Yes people have died and will continue to. Yes it's tragic for their family, yes for the rest of us they're anonymous statistics.

maybe no deaths are "acceptable" but what is the legitimate alternative? Remain in lockdown and hope the virus goes away? Clearly the Governments consider the number of deaths to be not unacceptable as they're less than predicted and the benefit has been that vast numbers of people now have the combined immunity from vaccination and recovering from Covid which will help minimse deaths when the next wave hits in winter.

We're lucky that we had the perfect mix of variables happening. Omicron being more infectious but far less deadly, hitting here in summer when the population is also at peak vaccination. I doubt that the dead people's families would agree that we're lucky, but overall we are.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Just remember, TP: "Delta bad, Omicron good". The pandemic finished last October - the virus just hasn't read the memo.

Your fixation on death and reporting the number of people dying is disturbing.

<snip – totally unnecessary personal remark, reel it in please. Thanks, David for BBMods.>
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:39 pm

The thing that's actually disturbing is that you so plainly have never thought that the number of people dying in Australia from the "harmless virus" is disturbing.

Remember Pollyanna posting this in December 2021:

What'sinaname wrote:
Thankfully scientists / epidemiologists have had their time in the sun and rational people are now making decisions.

All the latest news says Omicron symptoms are mild and hospitalisations are people with muscle ache and fever being teated with cortisone and ibuprofen not treated with oxygen.

Ibuprofen sure looks to have done some damage, since, if it wasn't COVID.

Remember this one, from 1 January 2022:

What'sinaname wrote:
ICU patients have halved in the last week. While the doom and gloomers will try to tell you the end of the world is nigh, it's not.

When you posted that, there had been 2,253 COVID deaths in Australia through the whole of the pandemic. Since then, there have been well over a further 2,500. Moreover, despite all of those deaths, the number of people in ICU is over 40% higher today than when you posted that.

The funny thing is that you never, ever come back in to say - "Oh, by the way, the rubbish I posted on [insert date] has turned out to be misleading drivel (again)". So, sadly, I have to take time mentioning the actual figures.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:27 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Your fixation on death and reporting the number of people dying is disturbing.

<snip – totally unnecessary personal remark; reel it in please. Thanks, David for BBMods.>

That comment is seriously unnecessary, especially when the numbers tell the story, hundreds dyingfrom covid every week,

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:51 pm

With Nurses having Enough and Demanding more Nurses and Support from the Goverment.

IF they Don't could they go on Strike which might set off a Lockdown as be no one to look after the Sick?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:04 pm

think positive wrote:
And bloody hell that death table....scary

But if you look at it, the numbers are definitely following hospitalisations. They're going down. from over 600 at the peak to low 300's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 2 of 62   

Jump to: