Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian federal election 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 am
Post subject: Australian federal election 2022Reply with quote

We’re only at most a few months away from the 2022 election (due no later than 21 May, and as early as February), and things as they stand seem pretty evenly poised: polls show a consistent slight lead to Labor, much as they did last time around, and, as in 2016, the Coalition only have a slight majority in the lower house.

It’s hard to believe, particularly after the many stuff-ups and leadership instability of the past decade, but the Coalition are on the brink of a dynasty: win this and, with another full term in power, Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison will have outlasted John Howard, and only just fall short of Hawke/Keating’s thirteen-year run in government (the second-longest in the country’s history). Morrison himself will quickly overtake Curtin, Keating, Chifley, Fisher and Deakin to be the 8th-longest serving prime minister in the country’s history, which is pretty remarkable considering he only became PM in the first place by accident.

As for Labor, they seem to have taken all the wrong lessons from 2019, when Shorten lost despite offering a somewhat forward-thinking platform after years of trying to be as invisible as possible. Albanese has taken Shorten's small-target strategy even further, while moving the party further right, to the extent that it is hard to detect any kind of alternative vision for the country at all. I don't think they deserve to win, and the idea of the uninspiring Albanese as prime minister honestly seems implausible to me; but nonetheless, it's entirely possible that people will be sufficiently tired of the incumbents to give him a chance. At this point I think it's slightly more likely that Morrison gets re-elected, but I don't feel confident enough to predict either way.

Things get interesting when it comes to the crossbench. We have roughly four forces here to take note of: the Greens, who will presumably pick up their usual 10% and hold on to eight or nine senate seats, but really seem to have stagnated as a political force (I suspect they do best under disappointing Labor governments); Clive Palmer's United Australia Party, which is flooding every available space with ads and squarely targeting the anti-vaxx/COVID-contrarian vote (which might be enough for a senate seat or two, but probably won't make much of a splash in the lower house); One Nation, who I suspect are going to lose a big chunk of their vote to the Palmer brigade and potentially Hanson's own senate seat; and, perhaps most notably, the collection of centrist independents running in lower-house seats under the loose Voices banner, many of which are challenging Liberal MPs and offering a pro-business, pro-climate policy agenda (as Zali Steggall and Helen Haines did successfully in the last election). It will be particularly interesting to see how the latter group fare; my suspicion is that they might win enough seats to force a hung parliament, which is probably Labor's best hope of taking power.

Here's an update on how things stand, for those wondering:

Lower house (150 seats in total): 76 Coalition, 68 ALP, 1 Greens, 1 UAP (Craig Kelly), 1 KAP (Bob Katter), 1 Centre Alliance (Rebekha Sharkie), 3 unaffiliated independents (Andrew Wilkie, Zali Steggall, Helen Haines)

Senate (76 seats in total): 36 Coalition, 26 ALP, 9 Greens, 2 One Nation, 1 Centre Alliance, 1 Jacqui Lambie, 1 Rex Patrick. Of those, the seats being defended this half-senate election are 19 Coalition, 15 ALP, 3 Greens, 1 One Nation, 1 Centre Alliance, 1 Rex Patrick

Some useful resources to keep an eye on for predictions and polling updates:
https://www.pollbludger.net/fed2022/Overview.htm?
https://kevinbonham.blogspot.com/2021/12/2021-federal-polling-year-in-review.html
http://psephos.adam-carr.net/countries/a/australia/2022guide/2022guide1.shtml (check out that '90s web design!!!)

And a fun video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnzaiYrvvrw

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Morrison to win in a very tight result but that's more because of Albanese than anything positive Morrison has done. Shorten completely misread the room with his class warfare rhetoric last time but the only thing Albanese seems to stand for is he isn't Morrison.

Preferences from minor and fringe parties and independents will definitely shape the outcome if not decide it, people are increasingly abandoning the major parties. As usual it's the comparatively small percent of people who don't vote on party lines but vote on WIIFM that decide the result.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 pm

Labor should win the next election easily
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:54 pm

should isn't will. Lots of moving parts in this mess but if I was going to bet money on it, I'd put it on Morrison.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I expect Morrison to win in a very tight result but that's more because of Albanese than anything positive Morrison has done. Shorten completely misread the room with his class warfare rhetoric last time but the only thing Albanese seems to stand for is he isn't Morrison.

Preferences from minor and fringe parties and independents will definitely shape the outcome if not decide it, people are increasingly abandoning the major parties. As usual it's the comparatively small percent of people who don't vote on party lines but vote on WIIFM that decide the result.

Wife isn’t into $£$%^%%$ Morrison?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:54 pm

I don't have a wife and if I did I'd divorce her if she was into $£$%^%%$ Morrison (or Albanese for that matter).

WIIFM is Whats In It for Me.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:29 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

That was the case in 2019 – it made absolutely no sense for the Coalition to win after everything they had stuffed up in the preceding 3–6 years, and yet they did.

This time around, it’s a lot harder to say that decisively. Apart from the bushfires, which seem like ancient history now, Morrison has kept a relatively low profile since the last election and particularly during the pandemic, where the premiers have taken centre stage (and taken most of the heat off the feds in the process). If anything costs them government, it’ll presumably be the vaccine and RAT distribution stuff-ups. But I’m not seeing a compelling narrative for how Labor wins from here. Is Albanese going to reveal some kind of policy agenda, or just hide under a rock until election day, Joe Biden style? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 am

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-primary-vote-drops-below-labor-s-for-the-first-time-resolve-survey-20220117-p59orf.html
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:12 pm

What do you folks think the fundamental differences between the ALP and Libs are?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:52 pm

#26 wrote:
What do you folks think the fundamental differences between the ALP and Libs are?

For me, the fundamental difference is that the Unions have a formal role to play within the ALP, the Libs have no such formal arrangements.

Traditionally the ALP has been more for big government and more interventionist than the Libs but practically these days there's far call difference between them. The only thing they stand for, both of them, is getting elected and staying there.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:12 pm

David wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

That was the case in 2019 – it made absolutely no sense for the Coalition to win after everything they had stuffed up in the preceding 3–6 years, and yet they did.

This time around, it’s a lot harder to say that decisively. Apart from the bushfires, which seem like ancient history now, Morrison has kept a relatively low profile since the last election and particularly during the pandemic, where the premiers have taken centre stage (and taken most of the heat off the feds in the process). If anything costs them government, it’ll presumably be the vaccine and RAT distribution stuff-ups. But I’m not seeing a compelling narrative for how Labor wins from here. Is Albanese going to reveal some kind of policy agenda, or just hide under a rock until election day, Joe Biden style? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Sadly lot of Sheep did what the Media(Liberal Propaganda Machine) told them to do

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:21 pm

^

Nah, bullshit Dave.

The only sheep are people who rust onto a political party without any critical thinking about what they are bringing to the table. Shorten lost the last election with his class warfare strategy, Albanese has noticeably backed right away from that and is talking about creating wealth for aspirational Australians rather than punishing them.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 pm

#26 wrote:

My take is not a lot, if we're talking fundamentals (foreign policy, climate, housing, taxation, surveillance, refugees). As much as the two parties have been more or less singing from the same songbook for the last 20+ years now, I think we've actually seen a great deal of convergence since the last election alone: despite notionally coming from the right and left of their respective parties, Morrison and Albanese have pushed each major party towards a kind of beige centre, in which there really isn't all that much noticeable difference between what each stands for. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the way things are at the moment is actually quite a far cry from Tony Abbott's radical economic libertarianism, and from whenever it was that Labor last stood for anything meaningful.

In terms of the election, what's most promising to me personally is that cultural institutions will likely be able to breathe again if the ALP get up; I think it's highly likely that Labor will inject at least some of the money back into them that the Libs have been slowly bleeding dry over the last decade – which is very good news if you care about film preservation, research and the like, as I do. Universities, the ABC and archives should all do well. I'm less optimistic about a lot of bigger-picture things: I very much expect that welfare will remain as stingy as ever, and that big mining will have little to fear. We can also probably forget any serious attempts to address the housing bubble and get rid of all the dodgy benefits that have led to skyrocketing prices. The rich will keep getting richer, the national security state will keep expanding, we'll still be at America's beck and call (including for foreign wars), and for every half-decent social policy Labor come up with I won't be surprised if they match it with some boneheaded nanny-state thought bubble like trying to ban cigarettes.

Big symbolic stuff like Treaty and another republic referendum will probably have to wait for a second Labor term at best, and as for systemic reform or anything that will shake us from our declining neoliberal malaise, forget about it. That's my highly optimistic outlook, anyway. Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:50 am

Government MPs seem to think it'll be happening on the 14th or 21st of May:

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/may-14-is-firming-as-the-federal-election-date-20220118-p59p1v

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Nah, bullshit Dave.

The only sheep are people who rust onto a political party without any critical thinking about what they are bringing to the table. Shorten lost the last election with his class warfare strategy, Albanese has noticeably backed right away from that and is talking about creating wealth for aspirational Australians rather than punishing them.

and Scommo let the Media do his Work for him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28   

Jump to: