Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Djokovic visa saga

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

KenH wrote:
Don't care what the rest of the world think, the Immigration minister can still send him back.
I don't trust that he had Covid in December as he claims if he did he is an irresponsible person as he was at events with other people that to me is enough to put him on a plane home and don't come back for 3 years!

You should care because it affects our standing in the world. Do you think people will want to visit Australia if all these roadblocks exist?

The immigration minister can do whatever he wants, but he would be foolish to send him back now when a court case has concluded that procedural fairness wasn't upheld.

I have doubts he had Covid in December as well, but this shouldn't preclude him from being able to travel here. Vaccine passports don't work!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:38 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
How is he going to spread COVID exactly or cause it to be out of control?

Australia is over 90% vaccinated among those over 16, and yet we have thousands of cases daily.

We're supposed to believe an unvaccinated tennis player poses a bigger threat to us apparently. This country has lost the plot and embarrassed itself for the whole world to witness.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 pm

The problem was the PM getting involved in a minor technocratic decision. The bloke can't resist consulting Facebook and opening his gob like Boris Johnson. This is the problem when you're fighting culture wars and juggling social media opinion instead of implementing proper policy platforms about proper things. Let the bureaucrats deal with this sort of stuff, FFS. Now, instead of some unknown official somewhere being thrown to the wolves, the PM and country are in the spotlight. Populist dim wit.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/jan/10/novak-djokovic-appeal-federal-circuit-court-cancellation-australian-visa-covid-vaccination-live-updates?page=with:block-61dc11db8f08ed5dbdaf602c#block-61dc11db8f08ed5dbdaf602c

Quote:
“The family can’t believe what’s going on,” Farage said. “I mean, is Australia a country that is based on the rule of law, or is it a country where governments can exercise arbitrary power?”

Welllll...

(But Farage is hardly in a position to complain – correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall him and his anti-Muslim fellow travellers standing up in protest during the last two decades when Western governments were instituting ever more arbitrary deportation powers under the guise of "national security".)

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:24 pm

Jezza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
How is he going to spread COVID exactly or cause it to be out of control?

Australia is over 90% vaccinated among those over 16, and yet we have thousands of cases daily.

We're supposed to believe an unvaccinated tennis player poses a bigger threat to us apparently. This country has lost the plot and embarrassed itself for the whole world to witness.

It’s ridiculous it comes out on the same day the Victorian Government, which has given him an exemption, mandates booster shots for it’s own citizens.

One rule for rich tennis players and another for the rest.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:26 pm

Jezza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
What a Joke.

Guess Tennis/$$$$ more Important then trying to Control Covid

I refuse to watch the Aus Open Now

Great result.

All this has achieved is make us look like a laughing stock on the world stage.

If we weren't so ridiculously overzealous about dealing with Covid and had a more measured and proportionate approach, we wouldn't be sitting here talking about this.

Why has Djokovic not encountered this problem elsewhere?

He won’t be allowed to play in France where their president is madder than Dan and Marky combined! Although the French Open is after the election so he might just get lucky.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:30 am

^Can someone clarify what the role of the Victorian government was in all this? I thought they tried to enable him to play.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:34 am

I've been wondering the same thing, PTID.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 am

typical victorian judges, gutless shits
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:49 am

^ It was a Federal decision, TP - nothing to do with the Victorian court system. Our State courts have no jurisdiction in relation to immigration, which is exclusively a Commonwealth matter under the Constitution.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 pm

In case anyone cares, the Federal Circuit Court has in the last few minutes created a web repository of key documents in the proceeding: https://www.fcfcoa.gov.au/migration-law/online-file/djokovic

I haven't paid any attention to the proceeding but it seems from the Order made yesterday that the Commonwealth Minister actually conceded that the Commonwealth's conduct had been unreasonable (and hence procedurally unfair), so there was only ever going to be one outcome. The Order specificaly notes, amongst other things, that:

Quote:
The respondent concedes that the delegate’s decision to proceed with the interview and make a decision to cancel the applicant’s visa pursuant to s 116 of the Migration Act 1958 (Cth) was unreasonable in circumstances where:

(1) at 5:20am on 6 January 2022 the applicant was told that he could have until 8.30am to provide comments in response to a notice of intention to consider cancellation under s 116 of the Migration Act 1958 (Cth);

(2) instead, the applicant’s comments were then sought at about 6:14am.

(3) the delegate’s decision to cancel the applicant’s visa was made at 7.42am;

(4) the applicant was thus denied until 8.30am to make comments;

(5) had the applicant been allowed until 8:30am, he could have consulted others and made further submissions to the delegate about why his visa should not be cancelled.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:18 pm

cheers

i still hope they boo him, and he still shouldnt play! be funny if he tested positive!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:53 pm

Now social media photos and videos of him in Serbia on Christmas day are emerging, after he apparently claimed on his application that he didn’t travel internationally in the two weeks before he arrived here from Spain. There’s also plenty of reason to be sceptical of his claim of having tested positive for COVID last month, most notably that he wasn’t in quarantine in the days afterwards.

I don’t like arbitrary deportation laws, but I think deliberate subterfuge – if indeed that has occurred – should be sufficient reason to send him packing.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/11/australian-border-force-investigating-whether-novak-djokovic-made-false-travel-claim

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm

He's a self absorbed sack of shite who thinks the rules don't apply to him.

Not uncommon with people who earn huge amounts of money trading on a particular talent but with the IQ of a potted palm.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:43 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Can someone clarify what the role of the Victorian government was in all this? I thought they tried to enable him to play.

Exactly! They gave him an exemption from the same rules they are imposing on their own citizens.

1 rule for Victorians, another for sports stars.

The first state to go hard with vaccine mandates is the first to cave for money...

But now everyone is angry at the Feds for trying to stop him and everyone is now happy an anti vaxxer is allowed to play? The same people who tell everyone else to get jabbed...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: